MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

HD Workflow with Media 100 Suite

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jim brodie
HD Workflow with Media 100 Suite
on Oct 24, 2009 at 2:54:36 pm

P2 or SxS - Now that folks have been working with these for a year or more what is their preferred solid state format when working in HD on the Media100? I know SxS cameras (X-1 and X-3)under $10K have an edge in quality over a Panasonic P2 camera such as the AG-HVX170, however, isn't P2 easier to work with in M100? The new Panasonic AG-HPX300 looks attractive but as of yet the AVC-Intra codec is not supported by
M100.

We're starting a number of high end training projects that will end up streamed on the web and I'm looking for the most efficient, less problematic choice of format for bringing into the Media100.

Thank you for any insights you might share.

Cheers,

Jim Brodie

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
Re: HD Workflow with Media 100 Suite
on Oct 25, 2009 at 4:05:44 pm

Jim, I have been using the EX1 for over a year now shooting HD on the S x S cards and editing in Media 100 no problems at all. I use the Sony Transfer software to import the media and it works a treat. Just remember that you must not on any account split or mess around with the BPAV files, just put them into a folder but keep the BPAV title and then any identifying words you like for identification.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

David Issko
on Oct 26, 2009 at 8:03:41 pm

I concur with Michael. I have an EX3 and using the Sony SxS cards only, thankfully to this day, I have never had a file failure. Importing is easy as pie as Media 100 has 'inbuilt' XDCAM file transfer import in its selection. Set up a bin and import. As michael states, and it cannot be emphasised enough, do not change the status of the BPAV folder.

Sure it may take a little time, but it's hands free, allowing you to carry out another task while the Media 100 import the files.

I also have the nanoFlash that creates stand alone QT files. Super easy to import into Media 100 also via standard file import.

Return to posts index

Paul Crowe
on Oct 27, 2009 at 10:21:22 pm

I also import from the EX3 into M100 without any problems.

But I have a question for Michael and David, the answer to which Jim may find useful...

So, when I import from the EX3 I use M100's File>import> from XDCAM feature which works, as you say, brilliantly - launching sony's XDCAM transfer software and I'm away. However, what's the best way to handle the media from that point. I don't go any where near any BPAV folders and wonder why I'd ever need to? Would I copy these off to a drive in the field, if I needed to free up the sxs cards with out using the transfer software to select clips? But still wouldn't I just select every clip using the transfer tool in the field or is it that it's quicker to copy over the BPAV folder? Does this make sense, or am I missing something?

I note the data (ie QT files - I use the Proress codec) is all going into it's own folder like it did when 'Aquiring' or 'digitizing' like the good old days. Is this all I need to do in terms of keeping the media? I already back up the drives I'm working on but should I actually be backing up those BPAV folders everyone keeps talking about?

Be glad to hear what others are doing . Hope this makes sense.

Cheers
Paul

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Oct 28, 2009 at 9:10:43 am

Paul, sorry I mentioned the BPAV folders in this connection. You are right, just open the EX file import and the clips should appear in the Sony Transfer windows. You can then select exactly what sections of each clip you need to import, exactly how you used to do this when importing from tape - just click the 'in' and 'out' markers. Obviously you have the Media 100 bin open where you want the clips to go.

Now, as to the BPAV camera files. Yes, I think everyone downloads these to re use the S x S cards. I sometimes do this in the field on to a USB powered drive through my MacBook laptop but either way they have to go on to a drive pending editing. I keep being told that this should be done using Sony Clip Browser as this does a check on the files but I never bother with this, just click and drag and 16 Gbs takes about ten minutes. It is,however, safer to use Clip Browser. BUT, everyone is unanimous that these BPAV files must never be messed around - leave them intact and let the Transfer software find your clips.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Paul Crowe
on Oct 29, 2009 at 4:57:42 am

Thanks for your reply Michael,

so if I copy the BPAV folders to a drive in the field, will the sony transfer software read the data/folders as clips later on? Can you load the BPAV folder as clips in the clip browser? How does that work?

Or do you have to find the data in the folders and import into M100 as you do with other files.

Cheers
Steve

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Oct 30, 2009 at 10:11:40 am

No, no, Paul. You don't have to look for the clips within the BPAV folder, in fact that would cause real problems. The Sony Transfer ap. presents them to you when you open it in Media 100. They appear as thumbnails with all the data. As I said earlier I don't use the Clip Browzer ap. so can't answer your other question. If, however, you want to check whether the clips are in fact there after downloading to a drive, you can open the file and see them listed but don't move anything and don't try and select clips from there.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

jim brodie
on Nov 6, 2009 at 12:37:56 am

Thank you gentleman for your comments! They were most appreciated and confirm my own intuition about going with Sony. I've put in my order for the new EX-1R (due out this December) after testing the original EX-1 model last spring. I looks like they've incorporated a lot of improvements into this new model and kept the price consistent. I'm looking at purchasing a quality colour grading HD monitor for under $5K USD. The only thing that seems to come close is the JVC Verite series Studio Monitor (Model DT-V24L3DY). For the money, it looks like it would give me the best value from what I've researched. I'd be interested in comparing notes with anyone who has gone through this monitor selection process recently.

Cheers,

Jim

Link for the Sony EX-1R camera for those interested.

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/product-PMWEX1R/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]