MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Capturing in FCP ProRes 422HQ and editing in M100

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Snyder
Capturing in FCP ProRes 422HQ and editing in M100
on Oct 7, 2009 at 2:41:20 pm

I have a lot of footage to capture and share with another producer who is editing in FCP. We edit in M100 and want to share the footage. FCP's log and capture feature is great for digitizing a whole roll unattended.
(Using ProRes 422HQ codec in FCP) When I import the footage into M100, I get "Rendering Video Track" message. Am I really creating new media or is it just updating the FCP captured footage??

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
Re: Capturing in FCP ProRes 422HQ and editing in M100
on Oct 7, 2009 at 2:48:38 pm

Media 100 can use ProRes 422 footage natively. So it *should* fast-import the clips FCP did capture. Try importing one or 2 clips, and do a "show original" on the clips in the Bin to see if they are new copies or the original clips.
One problem could be a bug FCP has: it quite often does not write the first frame of a new clip in its correct length during acquire. It happens quite often that FCP acquires something and reports the first frame as longer or shorter than it should be, which can irritate the Media100 importer.

Return to posts index

Greg Snyder
on Oct 7, 2009 at 3:05:01 pm

M100 is creating a new file it is also 3mbs smaller than the FCP one.
And the clip is darker, almost like setup is being added to the clip.

Return to posts index

Wickham Strub
on Oct 7, 2009 at 3:06:55 pm

One little "FYI" thing to add...

Even when you have a media file that "fast-imports" (it does NOT create a new file), Media 100 does need to write just a tiny bit of info in the header of the file. This information is then used for media linking. That way, you can rename your media drive, move the media to a different drive, rename the file itself... heck, you can even do all three and Media 100 will still find it and link it for you.

Return to posts index

Greg Snyder
on Oct 7, 2009 at 2:58:09 pm

I also notice that the footage is darker on import as opposed to capturing the clip in both FCP and M100!! Strange.

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Oct 7, 2009 at 2:59:37 pm

[Greg Snyder] "I also notice that the footage is darker on import as opposed to capturing the clip in both FCP and M100!! Strange."

That is an issue of the "slow import".

Return to posts index

Greg Snyder
on Oct 7, 2009 at 3:07:53 pm

Can you control fast import and slow import?

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Oct 7, 2009 at 3:22:30 pm

[Greg Snyder] "Can you control fast import and slow import?"

If you have an object that fast-imports (e.g. a video clip Media 100 sees as a valid realtime clip), you can force to slow-impor this clip by using the "import media into Media standard and Codec" checkbox in the import dialog. If Media 100 does not recognize the clip as a realtime clip (e.g. with "bad" FCP clips) it does not fast-import.

One way you could try to trick Media 100 is by placing the clips in a timeline in FCP, and then exporting the timeline as XML. Import into Media 100 and look if the clips do fast-import then.

Return to posts index

Wickham Strub
on Oct 7, 2009 at 3:50:31 pm

If you've got media files that you thing SHOULD be fast-importing, check to see if the files are locked by highlighting the file in the Finder then choosing "Get Info" from the file menu. If they ARE locked, Media 100 should NOT import them and alert you that they are locked. However...

Just last week, I came across some media that claimed it was locked and yet still imported into M100 via slow-import. Unlocking the file and trying again resulted a fast-import as expected.

Return to posts index

Greg Snyder
on Oct 7, 2009 at 4:49:18 pm

I checked the FCP clip and it was NOT locked.

Return to posts index

Matt Jones
on Oct 13, 2009 at 1:38:44 pm

I have been following this thread as I am planning on using this same method for an upcoming project. Was this resolved? How can I make sure that FCP makes M100 compliant files?

Matt Jones
Metro Productions, Inc.
Raleigh, NC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]