MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

MediaPac MOV files

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike NelsonMediaPac MOV files
by on Sep 28, 2009 at 9:43:08 pm

Has anyone had any luck with the MediaPac recorders from (Nnovia) Hitachi Z-DR1 or Data Video DN-40? When I bring my MOV files into Media 100 (13.0.5) the footage looks like it is interlaced. Looks the same in quicktime. Drag, drop, and edit was the selling point.

The footage looks great when played back on the these recording devices. Also looks good on my consumer system running Sony Vegas on Vista 64.

Return to posts index

Wickham StrubRe: MediaPac MOV files
by on Sep 28, 2009 at 10:29:08 pm

We're going to need more info, let's start with the MOV files. What codec? Frame size? Frame rate? File size in approx. MBs/sec?

Also, with a clip loaded in the edit suite, try holding the Command (apple) key while tapping the forward arrow key. This will step through one field at a time. If it's truly progressive media, each tap of the arrow will advance the timecode by one frame. If it's interlaced, it will take two taps per frame.

Finally, if it's interlaced... are the fields moving forward smoothly or are they apparently jumping back and forth? This would indicate a "field-order" problem.

So... there's some homework for you ;-)

Return to posts index

Mike NelsonRe: MediaPac MOV files
by on Sep 29, 2009 at 12:31:43 pm

Information on the files is not in the manuals, so it is going to take me some time. However, I did get some information back from Hitachi on my problem...

Here is the information I received from Larry Aubry, who developed the ZDR-1 for Hitachi:

I exchanged a number of emails with Richard Melton (Hitachi Engineer) about this issue. I believe that the problem is with Media 100. Furthermore, I think that it probably has to do with Media 100's difficulty with dealing with a file with an audio interleave of 1:1. My guess is that they would like to receive something more like 16:1. An interleave of 1:1 means that there every audio chunk in the file contains one frame's worth of audio, so there are as many audio chunks as there are video ones. At 16:1 every audio chunk would contain 16 frames' worth of audio.

Apple does not seem to be very forthcoming with information in an effort to help or change the way they are doing things to conform to the ZDR-1 .MOV file, so we will need to come up with some alternate solutions if this is the editing system you prefer to use. I am not sure what this solution might be other than taking back the ZDR-1 as it does not perform up to your expectations with the Media 100. Although I hate to do this and wish I could persuade Apple to change their software for us, I just do not see this as a viable option.

Any thought’s anyone else has is very much appreciated.

Let’s conference call this morning if everyone has a chance.

Best Regards,

Kenneth Cyr
Hitachi Kokusai Electric America, Ltd.
East Coast Sales Manager

Return to posts index

Mike NelsonRe: MediaPac MOV files
by on Oct 6, 2009 at 4:48:01 pm

Hitachi (nNovia) Z-DR1 and Data Video DN-40 issue solved with MOV files by unlocking the files that these devices produce. Wick and Justin (HB Communications) found this to be the problem. For some reason the locked files caused Media 100 to convert MOV files into bad video files.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved