MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Suite 1.0.2 missing Boris Red

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Colin Grimshaw
Suite 1.0.2 missing Boris Red
on Sep 28, 2009 at 9:36:30 am

Has anyone else, who has updated to Suite 1.0.2, discovered that the Boris Red plugin seems to have stopped working? Clicking on a previous Boris Red FX no longer shows Boris Red in the panel and does not appear anywhere else to allow its use. Red can however be run as a seperate programme. We tried installing the latest Red update and this did not resolve the problem. We're currently running a version 1.0.1 from our backup drive with full access to Red, so there does seem to be a problem for us after this update. All the Red plugins are in the correct folders (it seems).

Anyone else having this problem? I noticed that this Suite update was not like previous ones, in that you were not required to uninstall the old version, could this be linked to our problem?

Colin Grimshaw
Imperial College London

Return to posts index

Eric Pelletier
Re: Suite 1.0.2 missing Boris Red
on Sep 28, 2009 at 1:12:44 pm

that's bad. I did update with the Suite updater without uninstalling - I assumed it updated the app directly on the drive - with no problem (actually it seems to have solved a few I had).

At the same level of app itself you should have a folder called Filters and another one called Graphics, both should contain - mine do - a file called : Boris RED 4.3 Filter.bundle .

If I was in this situation I would contact support to get a complete 1.0.2 Installer to uninstall an do a clean install from scratch. Or reinstall 1.0.1 -clean with your installer- and re-update.

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Sep 28, 2009 at 3:37:04 pm

Hmmm, RED is working for me with Suite 1.0.2. Which part of RED is missing for you? As a transition, or as a composite? Where are you looking for accessing RED?

Return to posts index

Wickham Strub
on Sep 28, 2009 at 3:54:36 pm

Hi all,

I just got off the phone with Colin and have some ideas about how to track his problem down.

One detail that came up during our conversation is that he's on OS 10.5.8 Leopard. Perhaps that's the key. What are the rest of you using?

~Wick

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Sep 28, 2009 at 3:56:27 pm

[Wickham Strub] "One detail that came up during our conversation is that he's on OS 10.5.8 Leopard. Perhaps that's the key. What are the rest of you using? "

10.5.8 on our systems.

Return to posts index

Eric Pelletier
on Sep 28, 2009 at 3:58:12 pm

10.5.8 on my system.

Return to posts index

Wickham Strub
on Sep 28, 2009 at 4:54:13 pm

OK, so that's not it.

Hmmm... curiouser and curiouser...

Thanks guys.

Return to posts index

Wickham Strub
on Sep 28, 2009 at 10:04:17 pm

Okay, I was able to reproduce the problem. That's the first step. Tomorrow I'll work with Engineering to figure out why it's happening and how to fix it.

Return to posts index

Colin Grimshaw
on Sep 29, 2009 at 7:36:25 am

Hey Wick,

Clever you! I was starting to think it was just us that had this problem, but it's always good to hear when others can reproduce it. Looking forward to hearing back from you on a resolution.

Colin Grimshaw
Imperial College London

Return to posts index

Rich Evans
on Sep 29, 2009 at 10:24:32 am

Wick, while speaking to the engineers, ask them where the Boris Red Button in the transition tab of the edit suite has gone. My system is a brand new Mac Pro, with Snow Leopard installed and a fresh install of 1.0.2. The Boris Red button is gone and you can no longer use Red transitions.
Its interesting to note that on comparison with 13.0.1 on my other machine there is no Composite Suite Trans.bundle in the Transitions-DVE folder in the Media 100 folder in applications for 1.0.2, but a new one called Boris RED Trans.bundle. On the advice of your support staffer, John, I copied the Composite Suite Trans,bundle from my 13.0.1 equipted machine and put it in the same folder on my new computer.
Interesting that the Boris Red button came back! But that did not fix the problem, now when I try to use it, it crashes Media100.
Perhaps we are on the right path but I'm using a too old, Composite Suite Trans,bundle?
Did 1.0.1 have the Red button on the transitions tab? Should I install this version with the 1.0.2 updater after?

Return to posts index

Wickham Strub
on Sep 29, 2009 at 7:29:34 pm

Rich,

It's a bug that was introduced with v1.0.2. There's nothing you can do but go back to v1.0.1 or wait for a fix from us. We're working on it and we're actually very close. Thanks for your patience.

~Wick

Return to posts index

Eric Pelletier
on Sep 29, 2009 at 12:17:31 pm

There's also this probably-related issue, on the upper thread initiated by Rich Evans, where a RED composition in a/b tracks renders black. I thought my RED worked well 'till then...

Return to posts index

Wickham Strub
on Sep 29, 2009 at 12:57:04 pm

No, that is an altogether different issue. As Rich stated, we know about it and expect a fix soon.

As for Colin's problem, I think the test of us haven't been understanding it correctly...

Create a Transition then double-click it to load it into the Edit Suite. Look to the upper-right at the "Transition Type" buttons. You SHOULD see four: Dissolves, Wipes, DVEs and Boris. Colin and I are NOT seeing the Boris button, how about rest of you?

Return to posts index

Eric Pelletier
on Sep 29, 2009 at 1:12:27 pm

Sorry about the confusion...

Same for me : 3 buttons only, so no Boris transitions.

When I look in the Transitions Folder (at the App level) there's a file called : Boris RED Trans.bundle : in the DVEs Folder. It seems to be an After Effects (Universal ) Plug-in...

Return to posts index

Wickham Strub
on Sep 29, 2009 at 3:37:15 pm

Yup, that's the correct bundle and Media 100 SHOULD be okay with it... but it's not liking it.
We're actually quite close to a solution this morning... I'll keep everyone posted.

~Wick

Return to posts index

Wickham Strub
on Sep 29, 2009 at 9:06:25 pm

Well...

We know what it is... Media 100 Suite v1.0.2 doesn't like the new Boris RED Trans.bundle file.
We now how to fix it too ;-) We just need to come up with a good way to get the fix on everybody's system.

In the meantime, if you MUST use this functionality, going back to v1.0.1 is your only option.

Stay tuned.

~Wick

Return to posts index

Rich Evans
on Sep 29, 2009 at 10:13:31 pm

Wick, not to be a pain,but how long do you think it will be until the fix is made available? This info is necessary before I decide to reinstall 1,0,1.
Thanks

Return to posts index

Wickham Strub
on Sep 30, 2009 at 10:52:25 pm

Update: We expect to have a patch for this available tomorrow.

Return to posts index

Rich Evans
on Oct 2, 2009 at 1:07:56 am

Did I miss the update to fix this problem or is it not available yet?

Return to posts index

Wickham Strub
on Oct 2, 2009 at 1:43:52 am

It's not available yet, that's probably why you're missing it ;-). But seriously folks...

The patch is working and ready to go. I tried hard to get it posted today but it wasn't in the cards. I actually only gave up about five minutes ago and came hear to post an update when I saw your inquiry.

It'll happen tomorrow for sure. No one wants to move past this issue more than me, I assure you.

Return to posts index

Wickham Strub
on Oct 2, 2009 at 8:10:01 pm

The new phone books are here! The new phone books are here!

what?... oh... sorry...

The patch is up! The patch is up!

Find it here: http://www.media100.com/support/downloads.php

Third link down from the top.

I'll start a new thread so it catches more people's eyes.

~Wick

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Oct 7, 2009 at 6:30:37 am

And to clear up the mystery why I still had RED under Suite 1.0.2: The version of RED shipping with 1.0.2 was broken. But since when we upgraded our systems from Media 100 V13 to Suite V1, I did not do an uninstall and reinstall, but I installed the software over the older version (I know I should not do it, but…). Somewhere along some earlier versions of Media 100, Boris RED was renamed to "Composite Suite" inside Media 100. This got changed back to Boris RED at some point. Since I did not uninstall the old Composite Suite plugin remained on our systems.
Now usually Boris RED gets loaded as a plugin for tansitions, titles, effects,… but since Boris RED did not work and Composite suite still was installed, Media 100 loaded the older Composite Suite filter, still giving me transitions in Suite V1.0.2 (but also crashes on newer MacPro systems).
The RED updater fixes this situation and should also remove older Composite Suite filters. So if you are using V1.0.2 you definitely should run the RED updater.

Return to posts index

Rich Evans
on Oct 7, 2009 at 11:36:34 pm

I would like to point out one thing about this patch. Many of the Boris preset transitions no longer work. Many, such as the Cylinder transitions, they do not transition to the next clip. Too bad, these were some very nice transitions. I hope the engineers work on fixing this.
This is just one of the bugs I have found on the new 1.0.2 system with my brand new Mac Pro, there are others I will discuss after I have narrowed done exactly when they occur. I do appreciate the new IO error box, that comes up regularly, which gives me a chance to save my work.

Its kind of a drag that more attention was not taken to look for these problems before the release.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]