MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Mastering to Tape issue.

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gregg Michaels
Mastering to Tape issue.
on Sep 24, 2009 at 3:50:24 pm

Actually, I'm mastering to disc on XDCAM-HD (PDW-F70). Have been having this issue since moving to xdcam. When mastering to tape, the timecode on the deck is off from the timecode being sent from Media100. I have a 23.98psf timeline in which the video starts at 1:00. I select a range in the timeline from :30 to end of video. Master to tape, in record mode(beginning of tape), selecting the range for the timeline. I then select my bars leader setting for a duration of 30 secs. This has always worked with digi beta, record/insert/assemble modes, but I can't get things to line up going to the XDCAM-HD deck. I'm approximately 1:11 frames off every time. The 30 sec leader ends at 28:13, which causes my video to begin early on the disc. I've never had to do any vtr adjustments like this, so any help is appreciated.

Media100 Suite V1.0.2 Mac OS 10.5.8 Quicktime 7.6.4 Mac Pro 8 core

GM

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
Re: Mastering to Tape issue.
on Sep 24, 2009 at 4:00:21 pm

This somewhat sounds like the deck/device does not work in the correct frame rate; but it is just a guess.

One thing I would try is to prepare the disc; write colorbars and black to the beginning of the disc using the "Master to Tape" Record Mode (let´s say to TC 00:58:30:00 with 1 minute of colorbars), and then try to assemble from 09:59:30:00 with 30 seconds of black as a Leader, and your record start TC set to 01:00:00:00. If your frame rate is set correctly both on your deck and your system, you should be good to go.

Return to posts index

Gregg Michaels
on Sep 24, 2009 at 4:08:55 pm

Thanks Floh, I'll give that a try and post back.

GM

Return to posts index

Gregg Michaels
on Sep 24, 2009 at 7:07:16 pm

OK, here are the results. When I use your method, only the edit that is assembled on is timecode accurate, and when I try to assemble the entire program with leader, the deck won't even roll. I think that the issue is the lag time from when the laser actually starts burning on the in point, and I just couldn't get the deck to use the timecode that was being sent from Media100. BTW, I got identical results from FCP.

So my solution which has worked 6 times now, was a setting on the deck itself. After breaking out the manual, I realized that on the Timecode Generator menu, usually just int/ext options, there was a secret option c- sdi. This forced the deck to record the timecode from the hd-sdi signal, which was correct no matter when the recorder actually started burning.

I don't know if this helps anyone else out there, but that has definitely worked for me.

Thanks for your help Floh.

GM

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]