MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Tapeless workflow

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Doug CalhounTapeless workflow
by on Sep 4, 2009 at 7:57:25 pm

Hi all,

I'm making the move to HD, which hasn't been priority for my audience so far but obviously need to transition at some point. I'm completely unfamiliar with tapeless workflow and am wondering if anyone is willing to explain the workflow or knows of a tutuorial, article etc. with M100 in mind.

Will the new GY-HM700U from JVC with SDHC or SXS cards work with the M100? I know the footage is ready for immediate import into FCP as QT files. Can it be imported into M100, how do you redigitize later. Probably remedial questions but have always used tape so I'm not sure.

Thanks in advance for any direction. May be easier to discuss as well. I'm happy to call someone on my dime as well for a few minutes of their time. Tech support has been busy when I call so figured I'd use everyone's expertise here.

Return to posts index

olof ekberghRe: Tapeless workflow
by on Sep 5, 2009 at 6:17:07 am

I use SxS and M100 as well as a lot of tape and footage from Canon 5DmkII.

I decide what footage I need in FCP because it lays direct there.

Then I export by reference and import those clips into M100, this is important, you have import to the standard that footage is. Then once it is in the bin you can down-convert by conforming footage command. M100 can not import and conform (trans or down-convert) in one step.

It would be great if M100 could plat EX footage or h.264 natively but it can't.

Once footage is imported and conformed it works really well, I use Prores422 for SD or ProresHQ for HD.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

Michael SloweRe: Tapeless workflow
by on Sep 5, 2009 at 3:01:52 pm

Doug, I made the transition last year and it's no problem. What Olaf did not mention were the two Sony software programmes that are needed to access the S x S files. These are Clip Browser and the Sony Tramsfer application. Personally I use the Transfer to bring the media into Media 100 and it is great. Once you have the software installed you either can take it straight from the camera via USB or from a drive where you transferred to. You open the Transfer app within Media 100 by clicking on 'Import' and you then have EXCAM given as an option. All the clips on the card will show as thumbnails and you can trim as required and import. What I don't think you can do is redigitize later so you have to fix your standards on import.

The Clip Browzer app. is used by most people to transfer S x S files from the card to drives. Personally I merely drag and drop the complete BPAV folders but I get told off for doing this by Craig on this forum! What you must never do is try and split these BPAV files. Open a folder, always include the BPAV title in the folder name and keep the file as it is. The Transfer tool will find the media OK, don't worry.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved