MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Shot 1080i:50, deliver wmv via M100 - workflow

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul CroweShot 1080i:50, deliver wmv via M100 - workflow
by on Sep 1, 2009 at 8:44:16 am

Hi folks,

this could also be sort of a 'compression techniques' question, however as M100 is the middleman I'd like to hear how fellow M100 users have achieved this.

I've got some footage that was shot on an EX3 in 1080i 50 and I need to deliver several clips as wmvs.
I have compressor, QTPro, Flip for mac studio at my disposal.

In the past with SD material I've exported QT out of M100 and used QTPro/F4M to export the wmvs. But I haven't had to do it with HD material yet so I'm hoping people can give me some pointers.

Any hints, tips, experiences and tricks would be most appreciated. For example I was going to set up the M100 Project codec and render settings in M100 to Proress 422 HQ to start work from there. Is this a good starting point? Then export out a QT (what settings)? Then use f4m (what settings) to export the wmvs as I do with the SD stuff but as I say I was interested to what se0tting tricks others use.

Sorry for the long winded post. Look forward to your input.

Cheers
Paul

Return to posts index

David IsskoRe: Shot 1080i:50, deliver wmv via M100 - workflow
by on Sep 1, 2009 at 9:35:01 pm

No tricks Paul,

I go about it in a long but proven way. I take the QT clips from my mac and load them on my windows computer and run them through Procoder for the occasional wmv clip. Not terribly often though.

Return to posts index

Paul CroweRe: Shot 1080i:50, deliver wmv via M100 - workflow
by on Sep 1, 2009 at 10:47:30 pm

Thanks for that David. How does the resulting wmv file look? And what codecs/settings do you use?

Unfortunately I don't have a PC to run procoder on. I was hoping to do it all on my mac and get the best results using existing software. Although... hmm I wonder how procoder runs on XP on a mac via Parallels, Fusion or whatever.

Still keen to hear from people who have processed 1080i - wmv via M100 entirely on a mac though.
Particularly interested in codec/settings in and out of software workflow - in detail.

Cheers
Paul

Return to posts index

by on Sep 2, 2009 at 11:19:58 am

Paul, I have created quite a few wmv files but generally they were fairly small sized. Quality come out very good considering the compression. Sorry I could not help you any further with doing the conversion entirely on a Mac. Hope someone can assist.

Return to posts index

Andrew MehtaRe: Shot 1080i:50, deliver wmv via M100 - workflow
by on Sep 2, 2009 at 6:39:40 pm

I used to make WMVs on my old setup. But it was just SD footage, and I mean an "old" setup. I exported a quicktime movie, either self contained or by ref, out of Media100i v7.5 [OS9...eek!], then booted into OSX, and ran a copy of Cleaner 6.0.1 which I found worked best for batch processing in OSX Panther [again, old...], but also works well for single files in OSX Tiger, where I typically produced small, medium, and large wmvs, using the following settings:

[Note - source was 720x576 PAL SD, 25fps, Media100i codec]

Small:
Crop: Manual
4:3
288x216
Deinterlace(odd/eliminate top field/adaptive)
Adaptive Noise Reduce (Mild)
Gamma: 30
Video Quality: Best Image Quality,
Compression Buffer Window: 3.00 seconds
Encode: Windows Media Video 7, 25fps, Keyframe every 250, 307.2Kbits/s
Audio: 32.0 Kbits/s, 16-bit Stereo Samples at 32.000 Khz, adjust volume to 100%

Medium:
400x300
Encode: Windows Media Video 7, 25fps, Keyframe every 250, 512Kbits/s

Large:
640x480
Encode: Windows Media Video 7, 25fps, Keyframe every 250, 1.0Mbits/s

When I downloaded Flip4Mac, I did briefly try that instead...I can't remember how it went, all I can recall was that I had an ancient G4 running at 450Mhz, and Windows Video 7 was a lot quicker to encode on it than either Windows Video 9/Flip4Mac or Flash Encoding, so I kept to 7. =P

Given the old technology, the above is probably not that useful.
But generally, I didn't do anything by the book, it was just feeling my way, and doing trial and error.

Likewise, sounds like you know your rough workflow. Might be wise to just do a few short clips a few seconds long, to try out different settings on, and see which are best.

Again, you sound like you've already done SD yourself, and were looking for HD specific tips and tricks, etc. Hopefully someone else will chime in then, and share their wmv HD encoding settings. =P

Return to posts index

by on Sep 2, 2009 at 8:55:27 pm

Oh yes, good old Cleaner. I forgot about that one. I used to use it quite often in the 'olden' days!

Return to posts index

Andrew MehtaRe: Shot 1080i:50, deliver wmv via M100 - workflow
by on Sep 2, 2009 at 9:09:06 pm

Ahh, yeah...just got Media 100 Suite, but haven't used it yet, so haven't actually done any video work since the "olden days", lol. ^_^

And sorry for being slow to spot Paul was tankboy...he was using an old system a while back too, so it's great to hear he's now getting stuck into HD and ProRes codecs, etc.

Don't you have any tips to offer him David? ^_^

Maybe if it's going from ProRes to a WMV, you can ask around some of the other forums on here too, ...I think there's a Compression Techniques forum for instance.

Return to posts index

Paul CroweRe: Shot 1080i:50, deliver wmv via M100 - workflow
by on Sep 2, 2009 at 11:35:26 pm

Hey guys thanks for that. The client is putting clips into a power point and asked for wmvs. Not sure what else will play out of powerpoint because I know nothing about it.

All I know is I started with 1080i 50 footage and I've set the project up as proress.

To be honest, I'm still getting my head around the details of working in HD and have got a lot to learn but as you say I'll probably run this past the compression techniques forum as well. I put it through here first because I've always found the M100 crowd very interesting, helpful and knowledgeable.

Cheers
Paul

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]