MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Snow Leopard Trauma and Media 100

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason MooreSnow Leopard Trauma and Media 100
by on Aug 30, 2009 at 8:33:38 pm

I was really excited to hear that Snow Leopard would give me back hard drive space, so without thinking thoroughly enough through all of the programs I had, I went ahead and loaded it.

Before I loaded the update I had about 8 GB open and after I had 22GB open. I was pretty happy about that until I opened Media 100. I have 12.7.1, and now it won't open. I know, I know. I shouldn't have loaded it w/o checking first, but now I'm hosed.

I read in another post that Media 100 has no intention to create any updates, so I guess I'm just out of luck. I don't have the cash to upgrade and now my favorite editor is toast.

I've been on Media 100 since 1997 and for the first time since then I'm considering switching to Final Cut. I have a small company, and don't have funds to stay up to date with every upgrade.

I just wanted to warn anyone with a legacy version to hold off on upgrading to Snow Leopard. Media 100 version 12.x.x will not work. I'd imagine 13 is out too.

Bummed out...
Jason Moore

Return to posts index

olof ekberghRe: Snow Leopard Trauma and Media 100
by on Aug 30, 2009 at 9:55:15 pm

You have got to be kidding, you have been doing video since 97 nonlinear and you major updated w/o checking boards.

OK so I am being hard on you. But the boards are here to share info and not make mistakes,

I will always try a new OS or sw release on a system that is just for testing before I install on a working for money system. Or at the very least check how the forum members are doing with a new release.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

Jason MooreRe: Snow Leopard Trauma and Media 100
by on Aug 31, 2009 at 12:46:52 am

I've been doing a lot more AE work than I have video work this year, so I just wasn't thinking. Believe me, I realize what a bad idea it was.

Part of me definitely wishes I could go back, but the reality is that I also want to keep fairly up to date OS wise, and it sounds like Media 100 isn't going to go back and release any patches for older versions, so I'm out of luck either way.

This is why I'm thinking (as painful as it might be) I might need to just move to Final Cut. I would think Apple would keep that app working with the OS w/o the need for constant upgrades.

And for what it's worth, sharing mistakes are sharing info. I wanted to help others avoid what I did.

I love Media 100. Always have. It's a great editor. I've stuck with it for 12 years now. It's a tough decision to move away from it.

Jason Moore
Midnight Oil Productions

Return to posts index

John TwigtRe: Snow Leopard Trauma and Media 100
by on Aug 31, 2009 at 9:28:28 am

Without wanting to provoke a FCP vs M100 discussing (there are already too many of them, brrr) I'd advise you to spend the small amount of money on upgrading to the suite, as a user of both NLE's (M100 since V2.6 and FCP since v4) i must say that the latest M100 release is a big step forward. As an intuitive editor (don't want to be bothered by too many functions) Media100 suite is much less 'into your face' than FCP is. I don't see in the relative small advantages (in my view anyway) of snow leopard enough reason to abandon a trusted and stable workhorse as Media100.

I would say: Just stay at 10.5 a while and wait for the update for the Suite and buy the upgrade to the Suite ($595) and save the money for buying FCP ($999)

John Twigt
Workstation BV, Amsterdam
The Netherlands

Return to posts index

Mike AllenRe: Snow Leopard Trauma and Media 100
by on Aug 31, 2009 at 7:25:39 pm

I have been running one Media 100 system and one FCP system for at least 6 years. I sold the M 100 system over a month ago. I must say that I hated the cost to upgrade Media 100 over the years but I did like the interphase. That being said, Final Cut Studio does so much for the price that it is hard not to make the jump. Yes it takes a little time to learn new software, but in the end I feel that it is worth it and I am very happy.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 31, 2009 at 7:45:25 pm

Thanks for your response. It's gives me hope for moving that direction should I decide to. Thankfully right now I'm not in the heat of any projects. I have time to decide.

Jason Moore
Midnight Oil Productions

Return to posts index

Nick GriffinRe: Snow Leopard Trauma and Media 100
by on Aug 31, 2009 at 11:58:41 am

The fact of the matter is we all do stupid things from time to time. Thanks you for reminding us to learn from this mistake. Now go use your Time Machine back-up to restore the version of Leopard you had been running. (You do have a Time Machine back-up, right??)

Now, IMHO, would be a good time to NOT make a second mistake, namely that of switching to FCP from M100. If your experience would be anything like mine you'd be enamored for a few weeks, feel like your plodding just to get simple things done for the next few months, and eventually realize that you are going through more steps and more levels of complexity -- even to accomplish basic tasks -- and then you'd look back at Media 100 and say "WHAT was I thinking?"

I still have FCP, even have upgraded it twice, including to the just released FCS bundle. There are a few things/ couple of transitions/ etc. that FCP does that Media 100 does not, so it gets used occasionally. (Mostly to render out things which are then imported into M100 shows.) But the real reason we have it is for all the OTHER stuff that comes with it, not FCP. Color, for example, is an unbelievably powerful multi-thousand dollar program (as it was when Apple bought it). DVD Studio Pro is a simple and easy to use authoring environment, greatly facilitated by Compressor. Motion does some slick stuff far easier than After Effects, but just as FCP is not a particularly good replacement for M100, Motion really can't replace AE, unless you want to be limited to the things that Motion does. That's why we have all of these programs in our arsenal.

Frankly, Jason, I don't see the problem upgrading. If you're using Media 100 to make money the upgrade pays for itself in a matter of hours. And expecting Media 100 to backwardly upgrade older versions to work with a new OS makes little sense. I, for one, would much rather see them devote resources to tweaking the latest version and developing the next versions.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 31, 2009 at 1:52:09 pm

I appreciate your feedback. I tried Final Cut back when it first came out and hated it. I have a lot of friends that use it and love it, but it seems very cumbersome to me. Media 100 is sleek, easy to use, and powerful. Don't get me wrong, I'm not dogging on Media 100. I love the program.

I just find it tough to afford the upgrades on a regular basis. 12.7 was working perfect for me, even though it wasn't the latest and greatest. I probably would have eventually upgraded, but right now it's not in the budget.

I do have a time machine backup, and I'm considering going back. Just not sure yet.

Jason Moore

Jason Moore
Midnight Oil Productions

Return to posts index

Averill TownsendRe: Snow Leopard Trauma and Media 100
by on Aug 31, 2009 at 9:20:04 pm

Don't feel too retro about not upgrading. I'm still running one of my Media100 systems with good ol' 8.2.3! And, I have no intention of changing it.

Yes, I have FCP and hate it too! I also have Media 100 Producer and I'M about to upgrade it to the new Suite version, if M100 can convince me it will handle Pana HD including AVC-I. Media 100 seems to be getting less and less accurate and detailed about what their systems will and will NOT handle...Pity, I too have been a 'member' since 1996.

In any event, take your time and research your options. We've pretty much all screwed up with new software sometime in our editing lives! Except when I was cutting film!

Averill Townsend

Return to posts index

Andy StintonRe: Snow Leopard Trauma and Media 100
by on Sep 2, 2009 at 1:09:15 am

Not wanting to put to fine an edge on things, and in danger of sounding like a broken record Time Machine as a lone backup is not such a hot idea. TM is good at doing the daily backups so that one can recover files. However one should have a separate bootable back of your computer using Carbon Cloner or Super Duper ..

End of Nag:)

Andy Stinton
Corporate Video
Live & Stage Events
Business Practices

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved