MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

washed out footage

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
brian johnstonwashed out footage
by on Aug 24, 2009 at 7:57:03 pm

Old washed out footage problem persists. We are editing on latest m100 version with all latest downloads and drivers for our sde system. We're using media 100i compression type with lossless compression.

sypmtoms: footage coming in from deck via breakout box is washed out in m100 monitor. However, same footage looks fine on "external" ntsc monitor from deck.

trouble shooting attempts:

*networked footage over to an identical system to make sure it wasn't a display issue .. didn't work -
footage still washed out.
*disconnected cable from breakout box to video card and used one from an identical "working" system.
.... didn't work.
*swapped video card out with one from working system ... didn't work.
* checked all connections (obviously) ... did not work.
*replaced m100 & quicktime preference folders from bad system with good system pref's ... didn't
*tested deck outputs to with external monitor ... not the problem.
*uninstalled all aja/kona software & drivers and reinstalled - didn't work.

*** The only remaining thing I can think of is swapping out breakout box which would require a lot
of valuable time, that I'm quickly running out of!!!!!

*** AGAIN, problem is only in 1 system. All others with same software/hardware set-ups are fine.****

********** ANY SUGGESTIONS ???? **************

intel mac 2 x 2.8 ghz quad core intel with 4 gigs of mem.
deck: panasonic dvc pro aj-d450
aja breakout box

Return to posts index

Robert StoneRe: washed out footage
by on Aug 26, 2009 at 9:47:28 pm

Aloha - it "sounds" like a computer monitor color calibration thing. . .

Bob Stone

Robert Stone

Return to posts index

brian johnstonRe: washed out footage
by on Aug 27, 2009 at 8:18:26 pm

Thanks for your response. I would be able to get by with it being a computer monitor issue, but
it's actually the footage that is being affected somewhere. Like I said, I've networked the imported
footage to another system and its washed out. Problem seems to be in and around breakout box, because footage imported via firewire looks fine. Deck has been checked and all wires are attached and working just fine. It's hard to believe the breakout box could be issue since signal is simply "passing thru" it, but I can't think of any other culprit here.

Return to posts index

Robert StoneRe: washed out footage
by on Aug 27, 2009 at 8:26:00 pm

Aloha Brian - I hues if I had read your first point, it would have helped!
I guess I jumped too quickly through the list.

I'll keep my thinking cap on.

What input are you using? Component?

What connection from the deck to monitor did you use?
Same as to the breakout box?

Robert Stone

Return to posts index

Wickham StrubRe: washed out footage
by on Aug 27, 2009 at 9:13:49 pm

If I/O hardware is the culprit, it would more likely be the card. Problem is, even if you eliminate the J-Box altogether and go direct SDI-In to the card... how do you know it's the card and not the software?

One way you could check that would be to use different software. You can perform simple record functions with the AJA card and QT Pro. I used this method myself back when we introduced AJA support to compare and contrast our use of the hardware with other software.

If you bring it in via QT Pro and get a different image than when you bring it in via M100, then we'll know the problem is software. We won't if it's a bug, or preferences or settings, etc... but we'll know the hardware can do the right thing.

If you bring it in via QT Pro and get the SAME image as when you bring it in via M100, then we can be pretty sure it's the hardware.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved