MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Media100i SDI

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gerry Condez
Media100i SDI
on Aug 6, 2009 at 5:25:32 pm

Hi, I have a Media100i system and would like to know if it is possible to capture HDV footage (Canon HV30) through SDI. I have a Convergent Design SI. Somehow there is no audio connection from the converter. Media100i takes AES/EBU Digital audio XLR inputs only. Do I need extra converters? Any ideas? Thanks in advance. Gerry

Return to posts index

Andrew Golden
Re: Media100i SDI
on Aug 6, 2009 at 7:29:23 pm

Media 100i is SD only. HD capabilities didn't come to Media 100 until the HDx release of Media 100. There is no audio connection from the converter because SDI and HD-SDI can embed audio in signal. The HDV signal (audio and video) travels over firewire to the converter where it come out HD-SDI. I'm not sure if those converters do a down convert but you can only bring SD into a Media 100i system.

Andrew

Andrew S. Golden
President
Illusion Media LLC

Return to posts index

Gerry Condez
on Aug 6, 2009 at 11:10:08 pm

Hi Andrew,
Thanks for responding quick. The HD-Connect SI converts HDV to HD/SD-SDI. I'm thinking that it can do the conversion to SD as well. Just wondering about the audio if that can be converted to AES/EBU to M100i? Gerry

Return to posts index

Andrew Golden
on Aug 7, 2009 at 2:08:59 pm

Hey Gary,

I can't for the life of me remember if the Media 100i could digitize audio over SDI. The Convergent Design box will embed the audio in the down-converted SDI signal. In the Hardware settings panel where you control what video and audio signals you are working with, see if there is an audio option for SDI in addition to AES/EBU. If there is, then you should be good to go. If not, then you need a different Convergent Design unit that breaks out the HDV signal to AES/EBU. Let me know if this helps.

Andrew

Andrew S. Golden
President
Illusion Media LLC

Return to posts index

Wickham Strub
on Aug 7, 2009 at 2:25:20 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm sure you're coming to this conclusion on your own but...

Media 100 i never handled embedded SDI audio. Perhaps you can run analog audio around the Convergent Design box? Although... watch out for audio sync... it's possible that there will be a delay between the two signals.

Hope this helps,
Wick

Return to posts index

Gerry Condez
on Aug 7, 2009 at 3:39:44 pm

Hi Guys,
I will let you know the outcome. I ordered a Convergent Design LE instead of the Si which has AES audio out. Another problem is the cable. I cant find a male XLR and male BNC around. Only cable available I found that was similar was made for TimeCode. Is it possible to use the same timecode cable? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/306705-REG/Comprehensive_XLRJ_BP_6B_B...
Once the unit arrives I will try HDV direct to Media100i.
Heres a complete details what HD-Connect LE can do: http://69.15.88.17/HDLE%20files/HD-Connect_LE_FAQ.pdf
Thanks again for your input. Gerry

Return to posts index

olof ekbergh
on Aug 8, 2009 at 12:18:50 pm

You can go to Radio Shack or similar store, and get XLR to RCA cable and then get RCA to BNC adapter.

I have a box full of different adapters for plugging into boards when recording live PA's etc.

If you can solder it is also easy to make any cable. And many places like Hudson AV have or will make any cable you need.

http://store.haveinc.com/default.aspx

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

Gerry Condez
Re: Media100i SDI - Component OK
on Aug 11, 2009 at 3:28:25 am

Just waiting for the Convergent LE and decided to connect my HDV camera to Media 100i Component input. I was first trying to figure out how to add the SDI junction box to my existing setup but will make it heavier to take on location doing same day edit and presentations.
Shot a wedding in HDV and digitize it to Media100i through component input, 16:9 setting and the result was AMAZING. Never seen shots this sharp and detailed. My only problem is that when I digitize, the monitor does not sync (color shifting and line moving in the middle) but when playing the entire video from the timeline, it looks great.
I guess my final cut studio with kona 3x will use the convergent LE instead to capture HDV. I thought my Media 100i had its time, but I guess still a bit longer. Thanks - Gerry

BTW, Audio and video are all synced even often there are blue gaps on the recording when the camera was not properly cued for recording.

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Aug 11, 2009 at 6:05:27 am

If you are upgrading to a Kona3 anyway, you definitely should think about getting Media100 Suite for this system. It works easily with FCP and the Kona cards. And if you use Media100, you can acquire HDV via Firewire into a Codec of your choice and monitor it on your Kona out while acqiring. Plus, since you said you want to work on location, the Media100 Suite in combination with a Matrox MXO (mini) on a MacBook Pro is a pretty powerful and flexible package.

Return to posts index

Gerry Condez
on Aug 11, 2009 at 5:20:47 pm

Hi Floh,
Many thanks. I am definite about upgrading my system in time. Currently I have an AJA Kona 3x, Final Cut Studio 2 that runs on my G5 dual 2.7 and tried that direction with HDV through firewire. But somehow cant get any realtime FX. I can only do so much editing in 3 hours before showing edited MTV style during diner at reception places and that includes motion FX, color FX and letter box mask on the single Media100 graphic layer. Rendering time is very long with HDV plus the layers above included. Actually, I just received my Convergent design LE minutes ago and have not tested it yet. I heard that HDV takes more time to edit and would rather use the LE converter to convert the HDV to the right HD format and use Kona all the way. Not still sure about this but it is costing me a lot just to test and get it right.
I love Media 100 and its very simple to use. Never had any serious incident for over 12 years. But I see that there are more plugins out there like Magic Bullet Looks that dont support M100. I might be wrong. I try to avoid exporting to After Effects, use the plugins and edit it back to media 100. No time to render all those on location. 3 minutes plus of video = 20 mins plus of rendering and another 20+ mins of importing back to M100i on a G4. Only if I have extra hour to spare and AE wont crash.
I actually tried a minute of HDV footage captured through component of M100i and watch it on our dual 52 inch LCD setup. I'm very glad with the result and better than DV, IMHO. And if the client would want their stuff in HD, we have the originals anyway to edit later.
I saw the Matrox MX02 and MacBookPro combination and specs. Really portable. I like it. I could have a setup already unless I returned the Convergent LE. lol - Again, thank you. - Gerry

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Aug 11, 2009 at 5:44:10 pm

[Gerry Condez] "Currently I have an AJA Kona 3x, Final Cut Studio 2 that runs on my G5 dual 2.7 and tried that direction with HDV through firewire. But somehow cant get any realtime FX. I can only do so much editing in 3 hours before showing edited MTV style during diner at reception places and that includes motion FX, color FX and letter box mask on the single Media100 graphic layer. Rendering time is very long with HDV plus the layers above included. "

FCP only lets you capture HDV over FireWire into the HDV codec. In Media 100, you can select e.g. Media 100 i codec or ProRes for capturing HDV over FireWire, which would give you more realtime effects. No need to go in over SDI or Component there.

[Gerry Condez] "But I see that there are more plugins out there like Magic Bullet Looks that dont support M100. I might be wrong"

There are definitely more plugins for FCP than for Media100, but the new Media100 systems include Boris RED on the timeline, which gives you a great effects platform right within the application without the need to go to AE. Again, not MBLooks, but a good selection of colorcorrection plugins and some really useful presets.

[Gerry Condez] ". 3 minutes plus of video = 20 mins plus of rendering and another 20+ mins of importing back to M100i on a G4. Only if I have extra hour to spare and AE wont crash. "

If you continue to use the Media 100 i system, there is quite some room for (free) improvements if you have a little bit of time to spare, at least if you are running it under OSX. Two things: the AE render part (slow and crashes) sounds like you do not use the Media 100 software codec for rendering in 3rd-party apps; and the "20+ mins of importing" sounds like your AE render settings are not correct, since files rendered from AE into the Media 100 codec should import very quickly (seconds, not minutes). So if you havenĀ“t used the Software Codec let me know, and I will look for the instructions on how to set it up with Media 100; some time has passed since I dealt with Media 100 i the last time.

Return to posts index

Gerry Condez
Re: Media100i - AE render settings (Floh)
on Aug 11, 2009 at 6:22:50 pm

I hope its not too much to ask, but if you can point me to the right direction to what codec as you mentioned "AE render settings are not correct, since files rendered from AE into the Media 100 codec should import very quickly (seconds, not minutes)", I'll be truly happy and be able to try additional effects with AE7 on location. Thanks in advance. -Gerry

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
Re: Media100i - AE render settings (Floh)
on Aug 12, 2009 at 11:16:41 am

[Gerry Condez] "I hope its not too much to ask, but if you can point me to the right direction to what codec as you mentioned "AE render settings are not correct, since files rendered from AE into the Media 100 codec should import very quickly (seconds, not minutes)", I'll be truly happy and be able to try additional effects with AE7 on location. Thanks in advance. -Gerry"

There are two different parts: your AE render settings (with the hardware codec or software codec). If they are not set up correctly, the importing of the file rendered from AE into Media 100 will take long. Make sure your composition settings are correct (720*486 or 640*480 for NTSC), and your codec is set correctly in your AE output module as well (to either Media 100 NTSC for 640*480 or to Media 100 NTSC 720 for 720*486 compositions). Then files rendered from AE should import quickly into Media 100 (seconds, not minutes).

The other part is the use of the Media 100 software codec outside Media 100 itself. In Media 100 i, you have to use the hardware codec, which is okay. But for 3rd party apps like QuickTime Player and AE you can use the software codec. I found an old tutorial that I have written some years ago about how to work with the software codec under Media 100 i. Note, that you now again can download the software codec as a standalone download from media100.com, without the need to download the full install of Media 100 HD (as it is named in the instructions).

Here is the old instruction:

HOW TO INSTALL THE SOFTWARE CODEC ON A MEDIA 100 I SYSTEM UNDER OSX (you need an Administrator name and password to perform this action).
1. UNINSTALL OF THE MEDIA 100 i HARDWARE CODEC

To remove the Media 100 i hardware codec first quit all running OSX applications.
In the Finder, navigate to the root level of your startup harddisk. There, open the "Library" folder and open the "QuickTime" folder within that "Library" folder.
In the QuickTime folder there should be several items, including one named "Media100 Codec.component". This file is needed for QuickTime-based Applications to access the hardware codec on the P6000 board. To disable the hardware codec, drag the "Media100 Codec.component" file to the Trash. If you are not logged in as an Administrator the Finder will ask for identification as a Administrator. Enter your Administrator name and password into the dialog box.

2. INSTALL THE SOFTWARE CODEC

Download the Media 100 HD V10.1 update from this link:
http://support.media100.com/KBSearch/KBDocument.aspx?id=376 Depending on your Browser settings the downloaded file should unzip automatically. If it does not unzip, double-click the downloaded file in the Finder.
A Disk-Image named Media 100 HD 10.1 will be mounted. An installer named "Media 100 Codecs Install" is located inside this disk image. Run this installer. When asking for authentication, enter your Administrator name and password. Read and accept the License Agreement. In the next window, click "Install" to install the Media 100 i, 844/X and HD software codecs.
Now you are able to use the Software codec inside QuickTime-based applications like AfterEffects and Compressor as you did before with the hardware codec. The codec still be named "Media 100 NTSC, Media 100 NTSC-720, Media 100 PAL and Media 100 PAL-720 as with the hardware codec, and all your AE render presets will be intact. Unlike the Software Transcoder, the software codec will allow to read and write native Media 100 i files with and without Alpha channels exactly the same way the hardware codec does.
You will notice a big performance increment compared to the hardware-based codec, and you will see less conflicts when rendering into Media 100 i codec inside AfterEffects. You even can render in AfterEffects in the Background while continuing to work in Media 100 i in the foreground.

Return to posts index

Gerry Condez
Re: Media100i - AE render settings (BIG DIFFERENCE)
on Aug 12, 2009 at 8:49:39 pm

Thanks Floh,
From 20 mins to secs. Youre d best! I will hate to be Flohless!!! Keep it Flouwing!!!
Gerry

Return to posts index

Gerry Condez
on Aug 11, 2009 at 8:53:56 pm

Hi Floh,
Sorry, Its me again. This is regarding your earlier post about this:

Floh: "FCP only lets you capture HDV over FireWire into the HDV codec. In Media 100, you can select e.g. Media 100 i codec or ProRes for capturing HDV over FireWire, which would give you more realtime effects. No need to go in over SDI or Component there."

Question: Are you pertaining to HDV being captured to Media100i through firewire with the right codec?
I remember trying to connect an HDV through M100i firewire but there was no video and audio. I dont have the Media 100HD yet.

Thanks - Gerry

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Aug 12, 2009 at 11:19:43 am

[Gerry Condez] "Question: Are you pertaining to HDV being captured to Media100i through firewire with the right codec? "

Actually I was referring to HDV to Media 100 (V13 or Media 100 Suite); anyway, if you have the DV option on your Media 100 i system, and if your HDV player can downconvert to DV over FireWire (many players/cameras can do that), you could acquire from HDV over FireWire/DV into Media 100 i into the Media 100 i codec.

Since you do have an FCP/Kona3 system, you can install the trial version of Media 100 Suite software there and give it a try, using the Kona card and the FireWire inputs. Media 100 and FCP live happily together on the same system.

Return to posts index

Gerry Condez
on Aug 12, 2009 at 6:26:23 pm

Hi Floh,

[Floh]: "Since you do have an FCP/Kona3 system, you can install the trial version of Media 100 Suite software there and give it a try, using the Kona card and the FireWire inputs. Media 100 and FCP live happily together on the same system."

Thanks for the help. I spoke with Matt at Media100 quite some time about this upgrade. They got some very good deal that time and I guess I missed it. I have taken little steps regarding taking a big leap toward HD. It also concern about the existing software I have that will work (still) when I upgrade to Leopard also budget. My system all runs with OS 10.4.11 and cant meet the new Media100HD requirements. Not even sure if AE7 would work. I can get the trial version but might render all my older applications useless. My Kona3 too is a pci-x version and even when I upgrade to a faster computer it wont work. Do you have any recommendations?

Media100 is great in cutting work with tight deadlines, which happens to me all the time. I know that My Media100i system cant do much filters so my approach is to shoot HDV cameras with Letus mini adapters in order to avoid rendering effects and have a different look in video. Incase they want more then I use the MBLooks in AE7.

I built the system already and running Final Cut Studio 2/Kona 3X and pushed clients to get HD, 2 years not even one request yet. I dont do commercials but weddings. I decided to shoot everything now in HDV and deliver in SD-DVD's. in case they want HD, I have the material anyway.

I will finish my Media 100i setup for now and hopefully see you around in Media100 HD very soon.
I have Matt's cell number and told me call him anytime.

Thank you very much, my apologies for tons of my off topic stuff here in this post. - Gerry

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]