MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Media 100 v7.5 Upgrade Paths

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben SherwinMedia 100 v7.5 Upgrade Paths
by on Jul 22, 2009 at 1:37:14 pm

I've recently stumbled upon an editing suite that's sparsely used within my organisation, and after seeing it both myself and the current 'owner' agreed it could use bringing up to date.

Naturally, given where I'm posting, it's a Media 100 suite that was bought many years ago. It's running version 7.5 with the full Vincent breakout box and card inside a G4. The box is host to the inputs for our Digital S, Mini DV and VHS decks. We also have a broadcast-quality Panasonic Digital S camera and a Canon XL1 Mini-DV camera to feed into it all.

My query is - where do we go from here? It was undoubtably a top-line system when it was purchased, but it could use an upgrade all round. Apparently the version of the Media 100 software refuses to work if the Mac is upgraded to any version of OSX, which would preclude us from upgrading the peripheral software we have.

Will the i/o card/box work with later versions of Media 100, or even other editing suites such as FCP should we upgrade? My concern is that, given that the decks are seemingly controlled by the software, that we're tied to what we have because of the hardware.

I've been browsing like crazy to find an answer but it's proving elusive - any advice most appreciated.

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: Media 100 v7.5 Upgrade Paths
by on Jul 22, 2009 at 4:01:09 pm

There are 2 options for you:

You could upgrade to Media 100 version 8(.2.3, which was the latest release of this line), which does run under OSX and is the latest software working with the P6000 hardware. So depending on your other hardware (CPU, storage,…) you theoretically could upgrade your system to OSX (I think 10.4.11 is the latest version that was unofficially tested successfully with V8.2.3).

The other option would be to switch to a completely new system with a new computer, new I/O card and new Media 100 software. On this system you also could run FCP or Premiere in combination with Media100, since they all can work with the Aja boards. I think you are even entitled to a discount when upgrading from a P6000-based system to a new Media 100 package; probably you should contact sales about that. Definitely a bigger investment, but it will bring you into the 21st century ;-)

Return to posts index

Ben SherwinRe: Media 100 v7.5 Upgrade Paths
by on Jul 23, 2009 at 8:08:02 am

That was both rapid and exhaustive! Many thanks for taking the time to put an answer together - I shall indeed investigate further with M100!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved