MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Machine Upgrade

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Crowe
Machine Upgrade
on Jul 20, 2009 at 9:24:30 am

Hi Folks

I'm just about to take possesion of a beautiful new 8 Core Mac pro machine. I've stuck 16GB of Ram in it and have to admit I pretty excited about getting my hands on it.

I currently have a a G5 Quad so this'll be my first intel chip machine apart from the little macbook I have. I'm looking forward to running FCP and M100 on the same machine without having to restart.

Anyway, my questions:

Is it a total waste of time to use the apple wizzard on start up of the new machine to copy the applications/setting to the new machine. I'm not sure which programs I have are universal my gut tells me this might be a bit off a waste of time - anyone tried this?

I'm running M100 13.0.1 on the Quad and I'm assuming the cross over from PPC to an Intel flavor of the same version of software will be free. If it's not universal - is this the case?

I'm guessing it'll make sense to upgrade to the newest M100 maximise the potential of the newer machine as with the Adobe suite which I'll be upgrading from CS3 to CS4

I'm intending to mirror the home drive to back up applications and key docs/librarys etc but I'm also looking for any advise on the best way to utilise/set up what's left of the 2TB internal storage. I work mostly on fairly short form project in SD and HD.

Any tips or things to look out for as I finally make the transition from PPC to Intel would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Paul

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
Re: Machine Upgrade
on Jul 20, 2009 at 9:37:59 am

[Paul Crowe] "Is it a total waste of time to use the apple wizzard on start up of the new machine to copy the applications/setting to the new machine. I'm not sure which programs I have are universal my gut tells me this might be a bit off a waste of time - anyone tried this?"

It works. There are many preferences and applications that will migrate nicely. Others won´t, but I definitely would give it a try.

[Paul Crowe] "I'm running M100 13.0.1 on the Quad and I'm assuming the cross over from PPC to an Intel flavor of the same version of software will be free. If it's not universal - is this the case? "

Media 100 is universal, so you can run it both on PPC and Intel with the same version. There are no different installers or apps for PPC and Intel.[Paul Crowe]

"I'm guessing it'll make sense to upgrade to the newest M100 maximise the potential of the newer machine as with the Adobe suite which I'll be upgrading from CS3 to CS4"

You should update to 13.0.2 or 13.0.4. In 13.0.4 currently the output of the Kona cards during acquire from analog sources is broken, so if you use this a lot you could stay with 13.0.2. Other than that, 13.0.4 is the way to go (with support for QuickTime 7.6.2, AE CS4 and Kona LHi). Plus, Media 100 Suite aka. V14 is expected to arrive this month, which will be a great update also.

Return to posts index

Paul Crowe
Re: Machine Upgrade
on Jul 23, 2009 at 1:05:11 am

Hi Floh, thanks for that.

I've backed up all my important stuff and I'm now using the migration assistant to do the tranfer from the old to new machine. Problem is the Migration assistant has stayed at 'less than a minute remaining' 'transferring your applications folder' for about an hour now. The blue loading line goes from a (scary) stripey blue/white to a solid blue line from time to time.

You got any thought about this?

Hmm, looks like I might be loading everything from scratch. I hope it doesn't effect my old machine though.

Cheers
Paul

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]