MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

ADVC 110 does not work with unrendered media

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charles LightADVC 110 does not work with unrendered media
by on Jul 9, 2009 at 5:34:14 pm

Hi: I am using Media 100 producer V 13.0 on a Macbook pro, 2.5 ghz intel core 2 duo with 4GB ram, OX 10.5.7. I am outputting with a 6 pin firewire cable to the ADVC 110 and going from that, usiing S video into a Panasonic monitor BT-LH1700W. When I am looking at one strand of video or rendered video it works fine. When I am editing with 3 strands of video, media 100 immediately balks on playback and says that cpu speed is not fast enough. However, when i take the ADVC 110 out of the loop I get playback on the multiple strands on the Macbook pro monitor. How can I make the ADVC 110 work correctly so I can edit using the external monitor. Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Charles Light
Footage Farm/GMP Films/epiphany Records
PO Box 229 Turners Falls, MA 01376
(888) 270-1414/(413)863-9264/863-8248 (fax)

<> <>

FOOTAGE LIBRARY OF THE YEAR! FOCAL International Awards 2007

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: ADVC 110 does not work with unrendered media
by on Jul 9, 2009 at 6:11:34 pm

There are several components influencing your setup. When you output video via FireWire, the video you see in your record viewer has to be converted into DV codec and sent out via FireWire, which takes CPU cycles. The decoding of the video streams/layers also needs CPU performance (from your source codec into uncompressed format), and the compositing of your layers together into your final result takes CPU performance as well. So it is quite likely that your CPU is capable of decoding the 3 layers, compositing them together and displaying the result on the computer screen, but not powerful enough to re-encode the result back into DV codec to send it out to FireWire.
One thing you could do is to open "Activity Monitor" from your Applications->Utilities folder and to monitor the CPU usage. Most likely on playback of the timeline without sending it out via FireWire your CPU is already maxed out. Then your only chance is either to use codecs for your source material that are less CPU hungry, to buy a faster Computer or to render your material from time to time.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved