MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

TS_conversion

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ralph conradt
TS_conversion
on Jul 5, 2009 at 2:14:20 am

Last post on this subject is really old so hoping someone can tell me what works to get Video_TS into Media 100 Producer. Have tried Handbrake and Streamclip and they each tell me one of the files is not recognizable. Is this possibly cause I am navigating to the DVD. Have to do it that way cause I can't drag the Video_TS to the desktop. WIll not accept two of the files.

Return to posts index

Ben Heusner
Re: TS_conversion
on Jul 5, 2009 at 6:25:46 am

I've always had good experiences with MPEG Streamclip. The fact that it says one of the files is unrecognisable and copying the VIDEO_TS folder to your harddrive fails, suggests that there's a problem with your original disc. Can you see any scratches or visible dirt on it?

If you have access to an external DVD drive, that may be able to read the disc more successfully.

All the best,
Ben

Curious Turtle Professional Video
Training | Editing |Support

http://www.curiousturtle.com
Need help with your planar tracking?: Rock Steady : Successful Motion Tracking in Mocha & After Effects & Tracked : The Art of Motion Tracking in Mocha for FCP

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Jul 5, 2009 at 9:20:16 am

It also could be that the disc is copy protected. Then Handbrake and MPEG Streamclip are not much of a help. Otherwise they should be able to convert the content of the TS folder into a usable file format.

Return to posts index

ralph conradt
on Jul 5, 2009 at 8:27:59 pm

On advise of my Media 100 sales person I have stayed on 10.4.11 rather than move to leopard and I believe it was either handbrake or Steramclip that said it no longer supported older OS.
Any idea why I can't drag the all TS files to my desktop? Copy protection?
THIS IS footage from the oregon legislature where I testified regarding a brain injury my son suffered when a concussion was allowed to go untreated. I post this stuff on Youtube. So far I have 60K hits on my various posting and this is a big addition.

Return to posts index

Paul Crowe
on Jul 6, 2009 at 3:44:40 am

Hi Ralph

a couple of questions:

how many vob files are on the disc?
have you tried exporting the vob files out of streamclip individually?

If for some reason it is protected you could try downloading mac the ripper (free), creating a new TS folder on your desktop and working from that.

Cheers
Paul

Return to posts index

ralph conradt
on Jul 8, 2009 at 8:17:59 pm

Thanks for all the help. There are 8 vob files on the DVD. I have downloaded them onto the desktop but BUP, & 2 IFO files can't be opened in handbrake or clipstream.

Return to posts index

ralph conradt
on Jul 8, 2009 at 9:35:42 pm

So I tried Mac the Ripper and after I did the extraction it said "BAD SECTORS". Seems strange since it plays both on my DVD player in my computer and my home entertainment unit.

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Jul 8, 2009 at 9:51:13 pm

DVD players do have a different kind of error correction when playing back disks than DVD-ROM drives when reading data. One way of copy protection is to damage some sectors of a disc, which makes it actually difficult to copy them while there is no problem with playback. Not sure if this is the case here or if the disk is simply damaged, but it sounds like threre is something problematic with this copy. Is it possible to get another copy of the original disc? Another option would be to acquire the material into Media 100 e.g. from a DVD plaer via Composite or Component input…

Return to posts index

Paul Crowe
on Jul 9, 2009 at 1:09:25 am

Yes BAD SECTORS can be deliberately put onto the DVD for this reason. However, mac the ripper comes with pretty good instructions which talk you through how to work around this.

Weird though, in my experience it's fairy unusual not to be able to play(and/or export) the VOB files using stream clip or MTR.

Take a look at MTRs instructions re how to deal with BAD SECTORS and see if you can get a copy of the disc content onto your hard drive. I'm pretty sure once you've got it off that disc, you'll be abel to progress using stream clip.

Having said that, perhaps try using MTR and Streamclip on a disc you've already been able to process (if you've done so before) or one you've created yourself. Just to check all the versions of software including your current OS, QT, MTR and Streamclip are working in harmony.

Because as Floh says it may turn out to be the disc after all.

Cheers
Paul

Return to posts index

ralph conradt
on Jul 9, 2009 at 3:50:13 am

Well will wonders never cease and thanks so much to all of you. SOLUTION. Ran it through MacThe Ripper again will different settings than I had originally done and voila the outcome was a VIDEO_TS file that was decoded. This file I was able to bring into Handbrake and output a MPEG 4 file that looks pretty darned good. Had this not worked I would have used my DAC200 from Datavideo-tek.com. THis thing converts even the most outlandish files but I thought the sw decoding might look better.
Hopefully this will help someone else down the line.
I have another question which I will start another thread for.

Return to posts index

Paul Crowe
on Jul 10, 2009 at 10:09:00 am

That's great ralph,

to be honest (IMO) there's not alot MTR and streamclip can't handle if you are prepared to play with the settings - and both off them are free - sweeeet dude!

Cheers
Paul

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]