MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Analog inputs broken

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc Morel
Analog inputs broken
on Jul 3, 2009 at 3:44:56 pm

Hi All,

Both my composite and component analog inputs from Betacam SP have stopped working since I upgraded from M100 v.12.1.3 (on Tiger 10.4.10) to v.13.0.3 (on Leopard 10.5.6)and the Aja Kona_LHe driver to the latest v.6.0.3_NDD yesterday. Nothing was changed in the patching, just the software updates and yet, the V Signal Indicator box in the Edit Suite remains yellow. SD-SDI from my Digibeta works perfectly.

The Ref In triangle in the Aja Control Panel also is yellow.

I see flashes of the incoming video on my NTSC monitor if I click on the desktop, thus leaving the M100 app, while trying to digitize so I figure the signal is getting into the Mac.

Any ideas or insights would be greatly appreciated,

Marc

MacPro 2x3 GHz Intel, 5 GB ram, Mac OS 10.5.6, Media100 v.13.0.3, QT v. 7.6.2, Aja Kona LHe 6.0.3 NDD

Return to posts index

Mitch Merback
Re: Analog inputs broken
on Jul 3, 2009 at 4:58:20 pm

Make sure you are passing analog audio signal as well - I've had problems getting video until M100 sees audio too...

Mitch Merback

Return to posts index

Jim Wigler
Just move on to FCP...
on Jul 3, 2009 at 5:24:32 pm

Instead of puttzing around with Media 100 anything, move on to Final Cut Pro and save yourself anymore grief.

Final Cut Pro simply works! Not only is the program quite awesome, but it works seamlessly with the entire Adobe suite of programs.

Every time I revert to Media 100 because of some insane belief that it will excel at something, I am bitterly disappointed. A perfect example was a little while ago when I created a montage using slow motion and various effects. When I exported it, the slow motion was missing (although rendered) and the audio effects were missing, too.

It is also a blessing never having to deal with the people at BorisFX ever again.

Return to posts index

olof ekbergh
Re: Just move on to FCP...
on Jul 3, 2009 at 6:04:25 pm

I don't agree with Jim's views of M100.

As a matter of fact I have way more problems with my AJA HDe and Matrox MX02 in FCP than in M100.

However, he does have point, test to make sure AJA works in FCP. If not then uninstall and reinstall AJA drivers.

Did you do the AJA FirmWare update?

You may want to dump M100 prefs, something you have to do in FCP on a regular bases, but only rarely in M100.

Also I stayed with QT 7.6 it works great. Did you install the latest QT 7.6.2 (I think)?

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Jul 4, 2009 at 10:25:55 am

This was a joke, right? If yes, it was really funny. While FCP has some nice features (some of them I would love to see in Media100), it definitely is not a syst that "just works". There are many more places in FCP where you can mess with your settings, and some (like the input selection) are not even within the app. Media100s hardware integration is much more robust, and the preference and project setting management is definitely superior. Plus, it is actually built for peoffesional workflows.

Return to posts index

Marc Morel
on Jul 4, 2009 at 11:22:38 am

Hi All,

-Thanks Mitch, tried it ten times, having seen that happen before. No joy.
-Thanks Jim, I've worked with both and I'll stick with Media 100. Just let it go . . .
-Thanks Olof, tried pretty much everything you suggested, except the Aja firmware upgrade which is for the Kona3 cards and I'm still having problems.
-Thanks Floh, I agree, and that's why I don't mind troubleshooting this first problem ever in 7 years.

I'm in contact with Support and will let the forum know when the solution is found.

Marc

Return to posts index

Wickham Strub
on Jul 5, 2009 at 2:16:15 am

Hey Marc,

It's a bug. We introduced it with v13.0.3 when we added support for the AJA LHi card.

We've already got a fix, I expect to release 13.0.4 on Monday the 6th.

~Wick

Return to posts index

Marc Morel
on Jul 5, 2009 at 11:40:30 am

Thanks Wick, Matt sent me 13.0.2 on Friday afternoon to get me through the weekend, I'll keep an eye open for 13.0.4 tomorrow.

Marc

Return to posts index

Wickham Strub
13.0.4 coming tomorrow...
on Jul 6, 2009 at 9:25:56 pm

We had a few last-minute scares today so I held off on releasing to be sure they weren't show-stoppers. All were false alarms.

We will post 13.0.4 tomorrow.

Fixed in this release:

- Audio acquired via HDV with QuickTime v7.6.2 installed now plays back correctly.
- Analog acquire (broken in v13.0.3) is fixed.
- Export to After Effects now works correctly with After Effects CS4.

Return to posts index

Wickham Strub
Re: 13.0.4 coming tomorrow...
on Jul 7, 2009 at 8:45:23 pm

Okay, let this be a lesson to you all. NEVER give a specific date.

If you deliver when you said you would every one just thinks, "Big deal, that's what he said he was going to do."

If you miss it, you look like you've failed.

Guess which camp I'm in today?

Sorry, no 13.0.4 yet.

It should be up tomor... uhh... REAL soon! Yeah, that's it.

~Wick

Return to posts index

Marc Morel
on Jul 8, 2009 at 12:11:59 am

Jon Lovitz would be proud . . . Yeah! That's the ticket.

Thanks for the update,

Marc

Return to posts index

Wickham Strub
on Jul 8, 2009 at 9:34:02 pm

That's exactly who I was thinking of when I wrote that.
See my new post re: 13.0.4. It's UP!

Return to posts index

Marc Morel
on Jul 9, 2009 at 1:40:48 pm

Hi All,

13.0.4 installed like a charm. Analog inputs back to normal. Thanks Matt, Wick and Floh.

One small oddity though; when digitizing from Betacam SP via component, the image is fine in the source window in the app and the digitized file is fine but it looks like something is out of sync on my NTSC monitor. My interviewees look like smurfs (they're blue) and there is a solid black line running top to bottom of the monitor towards the left side (Not drifting though). I've checked my Genlock settings, it's set to Ref. In. I've put the ref signal to the scopes and it looks fine. The digitized file even plays out OK in the NTSC monitor. Any idea what I'm missing here?

Thanks,

Marc

MacPro 2x3 GHz Intel, 5 GB ram, Mac OS 10.5.6, Media100 v.13.0.4, QT v. 7.6, Aja Kona LHe 6.0.3 NDD

Return to posts index

Paul Crowe
on Jul 10, 2009 at 6:41:07 am

> One 'small oddity though... my interviewees look like smurfs...<

Ha... that's funny. Marc you are the master of the understatement. Some off my clients would get pretty upset if they came out looking like smurfs.

Cheers
Paul

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Jul 10, 2009 at 6:48:56 am

It seems like the analog input but is only partially solved. While the clips you capture are okay, you get a somewhat non-standard video out during capture. Seems like adding support for the Kona LHi opened a can of worms of problems…

Return to posts index

Marc Morel
on Jul 10, 2009 at 1:08:35 pm

Hi,

Thanks for posting back Floh. Since it only marginally affects functionality, I guess we'll just wait for 13.0.5 or whatever v.# is next.

Marc

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]