MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

SheerVideo codecs for 8.2.3a system?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert L. KopfSheerVideo codecs for 8.2.3a system?
by on Jul 2, 2009 at 9:56:16 pm

Does anybody know whether or not I can use the Bitjazz SheerVideo Quicktime codecs in a Media 100 v8.2.3a system? I'm putting one together for ingesting analog sources (after my old one died) and would love to use those if they are known to work.

Return to posts index

Ben HeusnerRe: SheerVideo codecs for 8.2.3a system?
by on Jul 3, 2009 at 5:06:19 am

Any footage you want to use in V8.23 will have to be transcoded to the Media 100i codec. So whether that happens at capture in realtime, or when you import (at speeds a great deal less than realtime) is immaterial.

Rule of thumb is if Quicktime player will play it, Media 100i will read it, but everything must be in the Media 100i codec if you want to use it.

I don't see any reason why you could export to it afterwards though.

Cheers,
Ben

Curious Turtle Professional Video
Training | Editing |Support

http://www.curiousturtle.com
Need help with your planar tracking?: Rock Steady : Successful Motion Tracking in Mocha & After Effects & Tracked : The Art of Motion Tracking in Mocha for FCP

Return to posts index

Robert L. KopfRe: SheerVideo codecs for 8.2.3a system?
by on Jul 3, 2009 at 12:04:02 pm

Sorry, but I'm not following you on this at all. Let's say for the sake of simplicity, that I'm only using the Media 100 to acquire footage from say, a Betacam SP deck. If there's some way to use the Sheervideo codec while doing this, and the resulting digitized footage is usable in say, Final Cut Pro or DVD Studio Pro, then I would do that instead of using the Media 100 codec. I don't need to use the Media 100 after I have the footage digitized. If there's no way to do this, then what hardware should I use with the Sheervideo stuff, to replace the Media 100 as a capture device?

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: SheerVideo codecs for 8.2.3a system?
by on Jul 3, 2009 at 12:55:38 pm

[Robert L. Kopf] "If there's some way to use the Sheervideo codec while doing this, and the resulting digitized footage is usable in say, Final Cut Pro or DVD Studio Pro, then I would do that instead of using the Media 100 codec. "

That does not work. Everything that goes into Media 100 i (with the old P6000 hardware) gets compressed into Media 100 i codec on the hardware immediately. With the newer systems you have a wide range of codecs to chose from, since the incoming video is passed from the capture card to the CPU as an uncompreesed data stream. Still, as far as I know SheerVideo is still not supported in the newer Media 100 versions, and also not (again, as far as I know) in FCP or other editing systems.

[Robert L. Kopf] " If there's no way to do this, then what hardware should I use with the Sheervideo stuff, to replace the Media 100 as a capture device?"

Unfortunately the SheerVideo site, although very detailed on other topics, seems not to mention at all if there is a Editing system that supports this codec natively (meaning with a decent amount of realtime capabilities). Why have you decided that you want to use this codec? If you want to edit it later, I think e.g. ProRes would be a better choice, since it is much more optimized for realtime performance in Media 100 and FCP. And at least there is a free decoder for ProRes footage both for Windows and OSX, so if you need to send over files in this codec others can open it with the decoder.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 3, 2009 at 1:04:46 pm

Hi Floh, thanks for the reply. I'm interested in this stuff because of high price/performance reasons. I have no requirement to send or receive files to anybody in any format. I'm only interested in creating my own DVD and online files.

I'm using the Media 100 to digitize analog sources. If I can get any higher quality by using something else, I'd consider it. But it looks like just using an old v8.2.3a system will probably have to do. It's a cheap solution. It would seem that by using the Sheervideo codecs, I could work with smaller files though.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 3, 2009 at 1:55:15 pm

My interest in this stuff was prompted by hearing impressive things about it from Roger at Innobits, and reading the article about it in the current Creative Cow magazine issue. And of course since I'm having to readdress my needs for an acquisition station anyway at the moment, there's that too.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]