MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Media100HD G5 Dead, fix or replace?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jaeson KoszarskyMedia100HD G5 Dead, fix or replace?
by on Jun 25, 2009 at 3:03:34 pm

Not much fun to report this week. An electrical circus earlier this week resulted in a dead edit system. The UPS didn't help. It's one of our Media100HD Dual G5 2GHz systems.

After replacing the G5 power supply, the status changed from completely dead to a momentary power up, just a few seconds and back to off. I reseated cables & cards & memory, etc. No change. I've since stripped it down to the bare bones, the problem persists. If I remove the display card, it turns on for a longer period but will still shut off in the end. I tried swapping display cards and memory sticks to no avail. I also reset the PMU.

Any other suggestions?

Even if I get this working, or have it repaired, it's possible that our Media100HD cards have been damaged. So we are also looking at the slim possibility of getting a new system (but the way belts have tightened, that's a slim possibility at best). We may have to go with Media100 Producer for now.

Which macpros are recommended for use with Producer? The compatible list on the Media100 site is from 2008 and only lists Quad Core systems. Do 8-core work with Producer? I need to present a few options to the high sheriffs, a low-end, a mid-range, and a high-end. Suggestions?

Another question. Most of the projects are saved on an external scis raid. I'm not worry about that so much. But I do have a few things on some striped internal drives. Can those striped internal sata drives be put in an external box or another computer and remain intact? All but the most recent data is backed-up.

Thanks,
Jaeson

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: Media100HD G5 Dead, fix or replace?
by on Jun 25, 2009 at 3:14:34 pm

[Jaeson Koszarsky] "Do 8-core work with Producer?"

Yes. And with the next release there only is a unified software version, which can be used with hardware and without. So if you invest into the new software, it does not matter if you decide to add e.g. an Aja card or Matrox box later.

[Jaeson Koszarsky] "But I do have a few things on some striped internal drives. Can those striped internal sata drives be put in an external box or another computer and remain intact? "

How did you stripe the drives? With DiskUtility? Or with a 3rd party software? If with DiskUtility, you should be able to simply put them into a differen MacPro and they should show up.

Return to posts index

Bobby MosaediRe: Media100HD G5 Dead, fix or replace?
by on Jul 7, 2009 at 7:47:13 pm

Hi Jaeson,

Not too long ago we replaced the Media100 HDX hardware with an AJA Kona LHx. The CPU is an older PPC dual processor G5, but the card works and runs well with media100. If you are interested, we are looking to part ways with the LH card because we do not have a need for that system anymore. It sounds like you have the same kind of computer that has PCI-X slots. If you are interested in the entire system, we could arrange that too. Send me an email: bobby@magicvideo.com

Bobby Mosaedi
Magic Video, Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]