MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Trouble inputing component SD. Help Please!

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Crowe
Trouble inputing component SD. Help Please!
on Jun 15, 2009 at 2:41:55 am

Hi folks

I'm trying to input some PAL DVCAM SD footage from a Sony DSR-40P deck. It'll go in via firewire just fine but when I set it up to input component SD via the Kona Panel (6.0.3)/M100HDe (13.0.1) it will see time code (it ticks over in the M100 source monitor) but no picture or audio.

I understand Firewire and component SD are pretty much indistinguishable so the issue isn't really getting this footage into the machine. It's just I hate it when things don't work as they're meant to so I'm keen to get to the bottom of it.

I've tested the deck and changed the cables, checked all the video input settings and all seems okay. I'm starting to wonder if it might be an issue with the Kona LHe Card/AJABreakout box. But what's really throwing me is (as I mentioned above) the timecode still shows up ticking over in the source monitor.

Any ideas? This is really bugging me now so any suggestions, no matter how obvious would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers
Paul

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
Re: Trouble inputing component SD. Help Please!
on Jun 15, 2009 at 6:34:45 am

What are the sync indicator boxes showing (the boxes next to the V and A1A2 buttons)? are they yellow? And is the timecode from Media100 or from the deck? As far as I know the deck does not put out a superimposed TC on component, so most likely it is from Media 100. You definitely should check your cabling and your Kona BOB connections.
Do you have any other Component source to try? Is the green light at the Kona BOB active?

Return to posts index

Paul Crowe
on Jun 16, 2009 at 2:05:56 am

Thanks for that Floh. I'll check that stuff out and report back.

Cheers
Paul

Return to posts index

Paul Crowe
on Jun 18, 2009 at 5:24:31 am

Hi again Floh answers to some of your questions:

What are the sync indicator boxes showing (the boxes next to the V and A1A2 buttons)? are they yellow?

The video is green (but yet no pictures) and the audio is Yellow (I'm getting weird low level distorted audio now). I must add I'm running the audio via a little 8 track mixer.

And is the timecode from Media100 or from the deck?
It's generated from the deck and shows up in the acquire window and the source monitor as per normal.

Do you have any other Component source to try?

Not at hand, but isn't it a bit weird I'm having both audio and video problems? I'm going to track dowm another component source.

Is the green light at the Kona BOB active?

Yes.

Anymore thought greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Paul

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Jun 18, 2009 at 9:46:15 am

[Paul Crowe] "The video is green (but yet no pictures) and the audio is Yellow (I'm getting weird low level distorted audio now). I must add I'm running the audio via a little 8 track mixer. "

Try deactivating the audio in the Input Channel Mapping window. Do you now get correct video input? I guess you are set up to acquire audio via a digital input, which probably does not get a signal right now.

Return to posts index

Paul Crowe
on Jun 18, 2009 at 9:07:12 pm

Thanks for that floh. Good advice.

Okay, cool we have some progress. When I disable the audio the video runs just fine.

The audio is running from XLRs out of the deck into the mixer then into the BOBOX. Hmm, wonder of the mixer shat itself? Might try by-passing the mixer and see what happens.

Cheers
Paul

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Jun 18, 2009 at 9:15:40 pm

What audio input do you have selected in the preferences for Acquire?

Return to posts index

Paul Crowe
on Jun 19, 2009 at 1:59:54 am

The setting are...

Source In: AES/EBU (XLR)
Convert to: 48000Hz

Cheers
Paul

Return to posts index

Paul Crowe
on Jun 19, 2009 at 2:05:14 am

Wow, I changed it to Analog and the problems seems to be fixed. But is this right. I'm pretty sure this has been set the AES/EBU (XLR) in the past. What should it be set to?

Cheers
Paul

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Jun 19, 2009 at 5:40:02 am

[Paul Crowe] "What should it be set to? "
It depends on which kind of signal you are feeding into the system. If you use a digital audio signal you can use the AES/EBU XLR connector; if you use an analog signal you should use the analog input. Not sure what signal your mixer sends out…

Return to posts index

Paul Crowe
on Jun 22, 2009 at 4:57:42 am

Thanks for that floh. Problem solved. Your help is much appreciated.

Cheers
PAul

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]