MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Somebody here must have a favorite Mac for an 8.2.3a system

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert L. Kopf
Somebody here must have a favorite Mac for an 8.2.3a system
on Jun 10, 2009 at 12:19:51 am

Ok, I'm going to try one last time. I am going to setup a P6000-based version 8.2.3a system to ingest analog sources. Surely someone here must have an opinion about which Mac to use. I want one that is as dependable as possible (cool running), and as quiet as possible. I'm figuring that some people here know what old Macs were good, the way that I know what PC parts were good.

I'm guessing that I probably want one of the single CPU Quicksilver Macs, so that it won't get hot. I doubt that CPU speed will make any difference for digitizing, but I don't know that. If you are a Mac guy who knows about this stuff, I would like to hear from you. I will greatly appreciate anybody taking the time to throw in his or her two cents.

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Ben Heusner
Re: Somebody here must have a favorite Mac for an 8.2.3a system
on Jun 10, 2009 at 7:00:44 am

Hi Robert

If you are only using it for digitizing then a Quicksilver Mac would be fine. In fact, I've got a 533Mhz Graphite G4 that's still running fine for capturing 360KB material. It even works fine just connected to a decent firewire drive! Even quieter and less Media 100 approved.

Compatible Peripheral Guides from way back when are quite difficult to find. They seem to have been scrubbed from the ftp as they got superceded. I've got a link here. This link may not be here forever and if you have any issues about me hosting it, Wick then I'll take it down :o)

An important thing, I seem to remember, is to get QT 6.5.

Hope that leads you in the right direction.

Cheers,
Ben

Curious Turtle Professional Video
Training | Editing |Support

http://www.curiousturtle.com
Need help with your planar tracking?: Rock Steady : Successful Motion Tracking in Mocha & After Effects & Tracked : The Art of Motion Tracking in Mocha for FCP

Return to posts index

Paul Friedli
on Jun 10, 2009 at 7:57:10 am

HI,

All G4 models work with 8.2.3. But I would at least use a quicksilver 733MHz. the mirror dors are good machines, but be aware that Apple has sold a series which are very noisy (there is no way you want to work with it in your edit suite). the mirror 1.42MHz didn't have the noise issue and are the fastest G4 available.
My choices

Quicksilver 733, 800, 933 or mirror 1.42MHz

cheers
Paul

Return to posts index

Ben Heusner
on Jun 10, 2009 at 1:26:18 pm

I agree with Paul about the MDD series. The noise would definitely be an issue for you.

In the original post you said you were looking at the Quicksilvers. That would be a good choice IMO.

All the best,
Ben

Curious Turtle Professional Video
Training | Editing |Support

http://www.curiousturtle.com
Need help with your planar tracking?: Rock Steady : Successful Motion Tracking in Mocha & After Effects & Tracked : The Art of Motion Tracking in Mocha for FCP

Return to posts index

Robert L. Kopf
on Jun 10, 2009 at 8:54:35 pm

Thanks you guys, for the reply! I will probably go with something like the 733. I hope it can keep up with digitizing in uncompressed mode, and work with the external drives. I want it to be relatively cool and quiet. It's worth a try anyway.

Return to posts index

Robert L. Kopf
on Jun 10, 2009 at 8:51:27 pm

Thanks again for the replies! I'm thinking of getting some Quicksilver Mac. I just haven't decided on which one yet. Maybe someone has done this, even using external SATA drives. I keep hoping that somebody replies to that effect.

Return to posts index

Lukkee Chong
on Jun 12, 2009 at 4:59:34 pm

Hi Robert,
We have two 8.2.3 systems running on 867 MHz Power PC G4 with 1.25 GB ram, OS 10.4.3, Quicktime 7.1 and they are ROCK SOLID! We do use scsi as our main drives and these are noisy, but have been connecting firewire GRaids and external sata drives in a Weibetech enclosure (cheaper than G Tech) and they work quite well.
All the best.

Return to posts index

Robert L. Kopf
on Jul 2, 2009 at 9:19:07 pm

Thanks much for the reply! I'm going to use that very box, and try single eSATA drives.

Return to posts index

Robert L. Kopf
on Jul 2, 2009 at 10:00:00 pm

Just to be clear, those are SINGLE CPU 867 computers, right?

Return to posts index

Robert L. Kopf
on Jul 5, 2009 at 1:58:58 pm

Thanks again for bothering to reply to my post. As you might imagine, this is an important issue for me to get resolved.

Would you mind if I asked you some more questions about the details of your configuration? I'm going to try building one just like it. Are you using P6000 Media 100 cards, computer slot arrangements per the Media 100 peripherals guide, video cards from that list, etc.? It might save me some headache if I just duplicated yours.

Return to posts index

Lukkee Chong
on Jul 5, 2009 at 5:31:15 pm

Hi Robert.
My system specs are:
Media100 8.2.3a i/xr, P6000
CPU 867 MHz G4 single processor 1.2 GB Ram, OS X 10.3.9, Quicktime 7.1.3
Cards and placement are as per Media100 peripherals guide and are placed as follows: 1. GeForce2 MX (AGP Graphics) 2. ATY Radeon (PCI Graphics for second monitor) 3 & 4 Media100 (SDI card in slot 4) 5. ATTO Express PCI UL3D Dual scsi.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
lc

Return to posts index

Robert L. Kopf
on Jul 5, 2009 at 10:55:20 pm

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Robert L. Kopf
on Jul 5, 2009 at 11:01:47 pm

Well, these specs differ from the ones you posted above. Are the two systems different?

Return to posts index

Lukkee Chong
on Jul 5, 2009 at 11:44:35 pm

Same system. I have a note not to upgrade the system beyond OS 10.4.1 but have OS 10.3.9 installed. Only difference. The firewire drives are connected to the cpu and I also have the scsi drives running.
Let me know if you have any concerns.
lc

Return to posts index

Robert L. Kopf
on Jul 6, 2009 at 1:05:18 am

I'll try putting it together with OS 10.4.1 and Quicktime 7.1.3 with the cards as you have them and see how it goes. I'm not going to use SCSI drives, but will try putting an eSATA board in place of the SCSI card. If that gives me any grief, I'll try using an external FireWire drive. I'm going to try using the standard graphics card with two monitors connected to it. That's the way my old one was. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Christopher Kinsman
on Jul 10, 2009 at 12:04:53 am

Hey Robert, sorry to have missed your request from June 8. My 8.2.3a system runs on my G4 dual 1.4 with 2 gigs ram and an esata card. I have an P6000 card with lossless with FW. It works really well. I work on FCP a lot but still prefer the m100 interface. The G4 is not quiet, but a decent pair of noise cancelling headphones from Audio Technica will only set you back 90 bucks or so - and boy do they work. I'm seriously worried about being snuck up on while wearing them. I'm using 10.4.11 OS and upgraded to QT 7.6.2 and now have M100 crashes. I'll have to uninstall that and head back down to 7.5 something. I use a raid I built myself from Mac Gurus and highly recommend those guys. They answer the phone and all emails promptly. I like their knowledge base and they won't over sell you. 4TB with card/drives and box will run around 800 bucks. I've been using their raid for 3.5 years now and only a few minor problems they helped me fix for $0.00. Best of luck. It's a good system, and I will be moving to M100 HD after my next few gigs. Best of Luck!
Kind Regards,
Chris K.

Return to posts index

Robert L. Kopf
on Aug 3, 2009 at 3:24:29 pm

Oops! The OS was just updated to v10.4.11 by the Apple software update thing. Do you happen to know whether or not this will be an issue? (I'm only now getting this system integrated)

Return to posts index

Wickham Strub
on Aug 3, 2009 at 5:23:33 pm

The following configuration has never been officially tested but seems to be OK based on anecdotal reports from customers over the years...

- Media 100 i v8.2.3a
- Mac OS 10.4.11
- QuickTime v7.5
Do NOT go higher than QT 7.5. 7.5.5 will render M100i unusable and 7.6.x will restore video playback but you will have no usable keyframes in the bins.

Return to posts index

Robert L. Kopf
on Aug 3, 2009 at 6:06:04 pm

Thanks for that reply. For some reason, I hadn't seen the prior one from Christopher Kinsman before now (thanks Christopher, for that one too).

I am trying to install the Media 100 8.2.3a software, but can't find the key code in the stack of copies of software registrations, etc. Is there a way to deal with that? If the latest one I can find turns out to be something like v8.1, do I have to revert to using that? If so, is there a place where I can download older versions like that? I bought this old, used Media 100 to replace my other 8.2 one that apparently died due to heat or something.

Return to posts index

Robert L. Kopf
on Aug 4, 2009 at 12:27:10 am

Nevermind about answering that. I've gotten it installed and running. We'll see how it goes from here.

Return to posts index

Robert L. Kopf
on Sep 3, 2009 at 12:13:41 am

I know that it's been awhile since this was posted. But I find myself having to redo this without benefit of notes (can't find them). So, how do I upgrade the machine to OS X v10.4.11 WITHOUT upgrading Quicktime past v7.5? And for that matter, do you have a link for Quicktime v7.5?

Return to posts index

Robert L. Kopf
on Sep 3, 2009 at 12:16:26 am

I should have mentioned that the OS is v10.4 after installing from CD.

Return to posts index

Robert L. Kopf
on Sep 3, 2009 at 4:28:36 pm

Well okay, in the absence of any recommendations to the contrary, I will simply update the machines using Software Update, bringing everything up to the latest versions that Apple offers (including Quicktime), then use Pacifist to revert back to Quicktime version 7.5.

Does anyone here happen to know whether or not anything else needs to be reverted? Is Quicktime going to be my only concern?

Return to posts index

Dennis Dean
on Sep 18, 2009 at 3:19:41 pm

ROBERT Did you ever resolve your P6000 project?

Dennis Dean

Dennis Dean
The Dean Group
-It's about results-
http://www.deangroup.com

Return to posts index

Robert L. Kopf
on Sep 18, 2009 at 4:03:52 pm

Yes, thank you. At least I did finish putting together that Quicksilver Mac with the v8.2.3a download, and was able to successfully digitize component analog at uncompressed settings to an external eSATA drive for over an hour straight with no problems.

I am now about to put that system into place, and then figure out how to move that footage over to a DVD Studio Pro station where I will then run it through Innobits' Video Purifier and BitVice, and then include it in DVD projects. I'm sure that there will e some learning curve involved in that.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]