MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

16:9 WSS on DV (Firewire) out

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Colin Grimshaw16:9 WSS on DV (Firewire) out
by on Jun 3, 2009 at 8:28:53 am

I was wondering how others, who master out to DV (Firewire) cope with there being no 16:9 WSS (Wide Screen Switch) flag on line 23 (well line 23 in PAL anyway) on the output?

If you output from FCP (Final Cut Pro) then there IS a WSS on the Firewire out. Although this is not vital, it is important if the DV (or DVCam) tape is, at some point, then Firewired into a DVD recorder which is expecting 16:9 with a WSS or 4:3 without. Most non-professional DVD recorders are now fully automatic and work by detecting the line 23 flag to determine the aspect ratio of the input.

This is all assuming that the 'new' M100 Suite hasn't already corrected this?

Colin Grimshaw
Imperial College London

Return to posts index

Michael SloweRe: 16:9 WSS on DV (Firewire) out
by on Jun 3, 2009 at 11:43:06 am

I hope you realise that recording to a 'set top' DVD recorder might well mean your DVD will not always play on other players. The only way to be certain you will never have problems is to properly encode to MPEG 2 with a high quality encoder such as BitVice and use Studio Pro to format. This way you can also choose bit rates to ensure the best quality depending on length of programme. Your aspect ratio issues will then be taken care of as well. When mastering (firewire) to DVCAM tape I find that a 16:9 timeline goes perfectly well from Media 100 without having to set anything.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved