MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

P2 in Producer

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert SlenkerP2 in Producer
by on Apr 21, 2009 at 7:23:39 pm

Hi guys,
I'm not new to Media 100 (since 1995) but I am new to P2. I just got an HPX170 in yesterday and have been playing with it. It's the first camcorder I've gotten in over 10 years (still have DVCPRO and Canon MiniDV camcorders.) I've been doing a lot of reading prior to being able to get it but I do have a question I hope someone can help me with.

I'm currently running Media 100 Producer v.11.6.2 on "Tiger" OS 10.4.11. I hope to upgrade to "Leopard" and the newest version of Media 100 (Media 100 Suite) when it's released in May. Anyway, I've shot some test clips w/ it in different formats but when trying to bring them into Producer, it only lets me import the SD clips I shot. It sees the HD clips (some 1080i and some 720p) but they are listed in italics and won't let me check them off to bring them in to my bin. What do I need to do? Is it a missing codec thing? Or a lack of being able to handle certain frame rates? In doing some reading, I know my version of Producer won't do 720p (maybe any progressive?)...that sucks but I think you guys have remedied that in later versions.

Media 100 v.11.6.2 really only gives me the option of 1080i or 480i in it's settings/preferences. If it's a missing codec thing, I seem to have codecs loaded on my Mac like DVCPRO HD (codec, muxer & .component) and FCP Uncompressed422.component, Media100 HD.

Maybe I'm just not recording in DVCPRO HD on the camera. Not sure where to select that. ?? Just thought I'd play w/ some HD clips and see if my Mac & editor could handle them.

Any advice would be appreciated. I read this forum daily to keep up w/ current affairs but haven't been able to graduate into a tapeless workflow until now.
Thanks,
BOB

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: P2 in Producer
by on Apr 21, 2009 at 7:16:14 pm

Not really sure what your problem is. But if you open Producer and you go to the "Media 100" Menu to the point "about Media 100", there should be a tab named "Info". There you can see if the DVCProHD codecs are installed correctly. Under Codecs DVCProHD should say "Yes"; then you have the codecs installed on your system. There have been several changes to the supported formats in the last couple of releases, so if the formats you recorded do not import into V11.6.2 chances are good that they do work in a later release.
If you have a 10.5.x system somewhere you could install the trial version of V13.0.2 and see if the files import there. Or if you can post a clip somewhere (like on an FTP server) I could download it and see if it imports into our V13 systems.

Return to posts index

Robert SlenkerRe: P2 in Producer
by on Apr 21, 2009 at 7:43:52 pm

Thanks Floh! I knew I could count on a quick response from you. Oddly, this is all it says on - About Media 100 Producer > Info:

Hardware Information

CPU: i386
Library Revision: 0.80.0.11
A/V Hardware: software-only version
FireWire I/O: Yes

That's it. ??

BOB

Return to posts index

by on Apr 21, 2009 at 7:32:41 pm

Then the engineers have added the detailed info view in a later release. I was not sure about when this appeared. Anyway, you can have a look into the Codecs selection to see if DVCPROHD is active in the HD section.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 21, 2009 at 8:01:08 pm

Thanks. It's not active.

In Project Settings > Codecs:
The only things I can select in Acquire & Import or Render are:
SD:
Media 100 HD
Media 100i
DV
DVCPRO
DVCPRO 50
Motion JPEG-B
Uncompressed 8-bit 4:2:2

HD:
Media 100 HD (8bit or 10bit),
Motion JPEG-B
Uncompressed 8-bit 4:2:2

The rest listed like DVCPRO HD and Uncompressed 10-bit 4:2:2 are grayed out

I assumed it may be a lack of a codec problem. I've read that I may need FCP to get them. Is that what I need to do? My university's Art dept has it and I may be able to go over and copy the needed codecs from the QT>Library folder on their macs. ??

Return to posts index

by on Apr 21, 2009 at 8:02:32 pm

[Robert Slenker] "I assumed it may be a lack of a codec problem. I've read that I may need FCP to get them. Is that what I need to do? My university's Art dept has it and I may be able to go over and copy the needed codecs from the QT>Library folder on their macs. ?? "
Yes, Copy everything that has DVCPro in the name from Library->Quicktime

Return to posts index

by on Apr 21, 2009 at 7:59:18 pm

Oddly, I tried it once a while back when I had some sample P2 footage to play with. That lastclip txt file wasn't included so I couldn't play with it but....anyway...

Here's what's currently in my Library>Quicktime folder:

AppleHDVCodec.component
AppleIntermediateCodec.component
DesktopVideoOut.component
DVCPROHDCodec.component
DVCPROHDMuxer.component
DVCPROHDVideoDigitizer.component
DVCPROHDVideoOutput.component
DVCPROHDVideoOutputClock.component
DVCPROHDVideoOutputCodec.component
FCP Uncompressed 422.component
Flip4Mac WMV Advanced.component
Flip4Mac WMV Export.component
Flip4mac WMV Import.component
FLV.component
IMXCodec.component
InstantMediaOSX.lib
Live Type.component
Media100 HD.component
Media100 Video Output.component
Media100.component
SoundboothScoreCodec.component
XiphQT (decoders).component

Return to posts index

by on Apr 21, 2009 at 8:15:03 pm

Hmmm, seems like everything is there. But still something seems to be wrong. Can you open the DVCProHD files in Quicktime Player?

Return to posts index

by on Apr 21, 2009 at 8:55:17 pm

No, I couldn't open any of them. Assuming you mean can I open QT, go File>Open File. Go into the Contents folder and try and select one of the .mxf files. No.
I also tried importing the files in Premiere Pro from CS3 and it sort of opened them. It gave me an error that they weren't supported and then listed the files in my bin as separate video, audio and other sorts of files. When trying playing each of them, it wouldn't really play them properly. I chalk that up as a problem w/ Premiere on my Mac because I've never really been able to edit w/ it..not even DV stuff. Files don't play properly...as if the Mac isn't powerful enough to play them. Scanning though these files, it gave me stills of the footage..even the SD test clips. ??

I tried the free demo of P2 viewer and it didn't really want to play the first clip either. 1st clip because it says the demo only allows you to import one clip. it shows a thumbnail of the 1st clip and seems to play the audio but there's no moving video being shown...just the first frame of the clip.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 21, 2009 at 9:37:12 pm

This may sound stupid but does age of the codec matter? I went over to our art dept's lab and they had one Mac w/ FCP HD loaded and it is v.4.5. The rest were running FC Express v.4.0.1 which doesn't have/use the DVCPRO HD codec.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 21, 2009 at 10:06:42 pm

Do you work on an Intel Mac? Then you most likely have the PPC-only codecs. If you send me a mail to floh (at) mac (dot) com I can give you some more details about that.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]