MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

scaleing and importing photo files

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
bill pagescaleing and importing photo files
by on Apr 6, 2009 at 1:05:25 pm

I continue working on a M100 5.5...as it meets the needs of my documentary work, editing footage in 4:3 640 x 480, but upgrading next year to HD....

I seem to have forgotten how to resize digitlal photo stills I import into M100....
-I am resizing the files in PhotoShop to 640x480 or 480x640, Retain Size, but when imported it is way too small.

What is the correct scale?

Cant believe I forgot this......Thanks for you help.

Bill Page

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: scaleing and importing photo files
by on Apr 6, 2009 at 1:13:48 pm

If you are working in 640*480 in Media 100 (you only should work in 640*480 when working with the old Vincent hardware and not with P6000) you need to scale your image to 640*480 in Photoshop as well. They should import correctly into Media 100 then.

Return to posts index

bill pageRe: scaleing and importing photo files
by on Apr 6, 2009 at 1:19:04 pm

Thanks for the reply.
I do have the P6000 card, and am scaling to 640*480 (or visverca depending on the file width) and it imports as a postage stamp size...
Maybe I'm not describing this cleary, but do you have time to walk me thru it?
Bill P

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: scaleing and importing photo files
by on Apr 6, 2009 at 1:24:05 pm

Problem is that probably quite a bit has changed in the file import since V5.5. But if you are sure that your image is 640 pixels wide and 480 pixels high, it should import correctly into Media 100. Maybe you can post a screenshot of your import settings here?

Return to posts index

bill pageRe: scaling and importing photo files
by on Apr 6, 2009 at 1:54:58 pm

Floh:
MY editing computer is not connected to the internet....let me go back and check my rescaling....just maybe I was not doing this at the right size (what was I thinking), as embarrassing as this will be (it has been a couple years since I needed to scale)....
It will be a few of days before I am in front of my editing computer again, but I will let you know....
Thank you for taking this time....

Bill P

Return to posts index

by on Apr 6, 2009 at 2:14:21 pm

Flh: I am back....
on this computer I have the files I rescaled....scaling 640w x 480h to a vertical photo file distorts it by enlongating and squashing it..and ideas on this?
Bill

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: scaling and importing photo files
by on Apr 6, 2009 at 2:18:35 pm

If the source image is not in an 4:3 aspect ratio, scaling to 640*480 will distort the image. Try scaling proportionally to 640*whatever or whatever*480, depending which scaling gives you the number on the "whatever" property that is larger than the expected value. Then crop to 640*480, e.g. by creating a rectangular selection with a fixed size of 640*480 and cropping everything outside the selection.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 6, 2009 at 2:24:11 pm

OK, I get that...Will try it and get back to you in a few days.
Thanks.
bill

Return to posts index

by on Apr 8, 2009 at 2:39:31 pm

Floh: are you there???? someone????
I made sure I was scaling digital photo files at 640wx480h...still the imported image is postage stamp size.
A few oddities:
-when I convert the tif file(it was scaled to 50% size,1226wx1752h pixels) to pic, but DO NOT RESCALE pixels, it imports almost the correct size, cutting off a bit of the top and bottom (as viesed in Boris).
-if I format to pic and resize pixels to 640x480, image is postage stamp size....

Any ideas? I've a lot of photos to import....

Thanks.
Bill

Return to posts index

by on Apr 8, 2009 at 3:09:26 pm

Please send me one of your scaled files to floh (at) mac (dot) com. I will have a look

Return to posts index

by on Apr 8, 2009 at 6:38:07 pm

Floh: I emailed you two rescaled files....
Question: to rescale files in photoshop, should files be 'IMPORTED'via the import window, and as anti-alisa pict file into photoshop? I have just been opening photoshop,and thru the OPEN window I opened the files (without IMPORT) to rescale.
Thanks.
Bill

Return to posts index

by on Apr 8, 2009 at 7:25:12 pm

[bill page] "Question: to rescale files in photoshop, should files be 'IMPORTED'via the import window, and as anti-alisa pict file into photoshop? I have just been opening photoshop,and thru the OPEN window I opened the files (without IMPORT) to rescale. "

That does not make any difference. Your files are 480*640 instead of 640*480. Since a TV is 4:3 (the image is wider than it is high) you need not only to rescale your images, but to also crop them (cut off parts at the top and bottom) to bring them into the right dimensions.

The best workflow probably would be to reopen your original files, to set your rectangular marquee tool to a fixed aspect ratio (4:3) and to create a selection within your images that shows what you want to see. Then crop the selection. Then rescale to 640*480, since you are in a 4:3 aspect ratio.
If you want to use the full image content, you could place it e.g. over a black background. To do this you would create a 640*480 image, filled with black. Then you would select your source image,select all, copy it and paste it into the black image. Then use the transform tool (CMD T) to scale and position the image as you need it.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 8, 2009 at 7:31:46 pm

Floh: taking the file of the horse, if the width is set to 640 and height to 480, it elongates and squeezes the file down. What am I missing....?
Thanks.
bill

Return to posts index

by on Apr 8, 2009 at 7:36:12 pm

Try rereading my last post. Either you need to use only a part of the image, or you will have black bars on the left and right sides. Since the image is higher than it is wide, and since a TV is wider than it is high, you have to fit the image somehow into this aspect ratio; either you will cut of some parts at the top and/or bottom, or you will see a background left and right.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 8, 2009 at 8:11:28 pm

I am getting it....I was just lucky in the past that I did not have the aspect ratio issue....
I see that cropping in photoshop with the 4:3 ratio automatically sets up the frame area.
BUT....if I wanted to use the entire width and length of the photo, as it the two children file, how do I shrink that down to keep the entire image, from head to toes.....
Thanks for you continuing help,
bill

Return to posts index

by on Apr 8, 2009 at 8:16:56 pm

[bill page] "BUT....if I wanted to use the entire width and length of the photo, as it the two children file, how do I shrink that down to keep the entire image, from head to toes..... "

As I said, you will get black edges on the left and right. Create a new 640*480 image, fill it with black. Select all in the source image, copy it, paste it into the black image, and do a transform (CMD T) and drag on one of the edges while holding the Shift key to fit the image into your background. By holding the shift key you are making sure that you scale proportionally.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 8, 2009 at 8:42:46 pm

Floh:
GOT IT......I never knew all this. It was just by luck and chance that I was able to scale before....
Oh, man....what a tool to use and to know about....Thank you so much.
Now I know..........now I know....!!!!
Thank you so much....
Regards,
Bill Page

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]