MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Export to QT for DVD's from Media 100 HDE

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
joseph stillmanExport to QT for DVD's from Media 100 HDE
by on Apr 2, 2009 at 1:41:43 pm

I'm currently trying to export to QT from a long form (67 min, 99gb) project which would then be imported into compressor and then DVDSP for DVD's but the quality of the DVD's is inferior. I think the resulting QT's are not adequate, hence subpar DVD's. I originally adjusted the QT settings to H-264 best quality (computer 0-225) and its not acceptable. I then readjusted the settings to ProRes422HQ and its better but not quite there yet. I tried the Animation QT (figuring it would be best) and it fails to complete the task because it exceeds 2gb limit(I think). I have a mac pro, 8-core so my computer is not the problem. How can I achieve maximum results when exporting to QT from the timeline if the next steps are compressor and then DVDSP? What settings should I use for best results when authoring DVD's from a ProResHQ/HD timeline? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: Export to QT for DVD's from Media 100 HDE
by on Apr 2, 2009 at 2:51:32 pm

[joseph stillman] "then readjusted the settings to ProRes422HQ and its better but not quite there yet."

It is not going to be better than that as long as you use Compressor. Compressors MPEG2 encoder is not that great. The exported file from Media 100 in ProRes is nearly identical from your source material (it is recompressed, but I bet that nearly nobody will be able to tell the difference). If you then used the hi-quality encode setting in Compressor and you set the field order correctly, there is nothing you can do to improve the results from Compressor.

You could try BitVice for MPEG encoding, which should give you better results.

Return to posts index

David IsskoRe: Export to QT for DVD's from Media 100 HDE
by on Apr 2, 2009 at 10:36:03 pm

Hi Joseph,

Floh is correct about Apple's Compressor. There are many people not seeing great results from all their hard work after Compressor has encoded the program. That being said however, I use Compressor for all my DVDs off M100 (and FCP) and I always get great DVD results from HD and SD bases.

Pretty much all of my HD editing is in ProRez422HQ and output in the same codec to Computer 0-255 video levels. It does take some time to output from M100 in this way, but the black & white levels are correct for Compressor.

I always run 2 pass VBR with Best settings at a moderate bitrate (not too high as that can cause problems) and compress the audio to Dolby Digital. I find that Compressor's downconversion works a real treat, so I cannot complain.

Many of my projects have been subjected to big screen displays with superb results.

Certainly try Bitvice for your MPEG2 encoding as it is a very sophisticated and highly acclaimed encoding software.

Return to posts index

Michael SloweRe: Export to QT for DVD's from Media 100 HDE
by on Apr 3, 2009 at 10:31:36 am

I find that the new BitVice version 2.4 is a massive improvement on earlier versions and I am, at last, getting acceptable DVD's. I think that the secret to this is that their latest scaler is so much better.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]