MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Drives for handling uncompressed video

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jack ShepardDrives for handling uncompressed video
by on Mar 31, 2009 at 10:18:31 pm

What sort of setup/drives do people recommend for handling uncompressed video on HDe? The more cost efficient the better. Will eSata handle uncompressed?

Return to posts index

olof ekberghRe: Drives for handling uncompressed video
by on Apr 1, 2009 at 12:15:04 am

I like Atto cards. Promise SAS RAIDS are good value. None of these are cheap.

Consider using ProresHQ instead of uncompressed and you can get away with E-sata and FW 800 raids

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

Christopher KinsmanRe: Drives for handling uncompressed video
by on Apr 1, 2009 at 2:43:02 am

Hi Jack, I can't recommend the guys at Mac Gurus enough. I've been running a 4tb setup from them for 3 years now on my personal M100/FCP system and they helped me set up our 20TB data flow for our HD show running on the Outdoor Channel. Their systems always seem to be flexible and upgradable (and well priced) and they really know their data rates and what you'll need to meet the demands you're trying to deliver in. The other great thing is that the owner, Rick, answers the phones and emails himself. They're a very hands on company. No, I don't receive any kickbacks from them - I just believe good company's should finish first!

Best of Luck!

Kind Regards,

Chris Kinsman

Return to posts index

Peter DeArmondRe: Drives for handling uncompressed video
by on Apr 1, 2009 at 3:02:24 am

I will offer a strong second to Chris' comments about MacGurus. It's easy to build your own array through them. You'll save money and get all the help you need. You can't beat the combination of price and customer service. Next time I need another array, I'll be going back to them.

Return to posts index

David IsskoRe: Drives for handling uncompressed video
by on Apr 2, 2009 at 10:43:43 pm

I have been using Caldigit's HDPro for over a year with flawless results. It absorbs uncompressed HD effortlessly and has no trouble keeping up with M100 editing. I use uncompressed for TVCs & other small broadcast jobs as the data rate is so high, there is not much room on the system for terribly much uncompressed content.

So if you really want or need drives that will handle uncompressed, invest in the largest array your budget can afford and don't forget to set them up as a RAID 5 for redundancy protection.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved