MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Renders and Brightness Levels from Mixing Codecs?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jack Shepard
Renders and Brightness Levels from Mixing Codecs?
on Mar 31, 2009 at 10:16:15 pm

Two questions which I have a strange feeling are related:

1) When a byref file or self contained file comes out where the brightness level has shifted and become washed out is that due to mixing codecs?

2) I have been editing on a mobile laptop in Producer from some footage that was originally an Apple Pro Res and in another project from XDCam. My laptop isn't fast enough to handle Apple Pro Res so I converted it into DVCPro HD. And Media 100 won't handle XDCam as a codec so I also decided to edit that on DVCPRo HD as well. It was exporting fine but I added some Color FX and now it wants to rerender all the footage upon export (it's a LOT of footage) so the render time is enormous. Is this due to me switching codecs once again? And is there anyway I can stop it from doing these really long renders?

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
Re: Renders and Brightness Levels from Mixing Codecs?
on Mar 31, 2009 at 10:22:06 pm

[Jack Shepard] "1) When a byref file or self contained file comes out where the brightness level has shifted and become washed out is that due to mixing codecs? "

Yes. Apple Codecs (ProRes, DVCProHD,…) work in a 0-255 RGB range, while Media 100 codecs work in 16-235. So if you are editing in one and rendering into another, you will see brightness jumps if you export by ref. But this means that you not only have ProRes and DVCProHD, but also a 3rd codec (a Media 100 codec) to explain your brightness jumps. No problem inside Media 100, but not good for by ref (or self contained) exports. You still can do a QuickTime export into a codec of choice, though.

[Jack Shepard] "It was exporting fine but I added some Color FX and now it wants to rerender all the footage upon export (it's a LOT of footage) so the render time is enormous. Is this due to me switching codecs once again?"

If you want to export ColorFX, they need to be rendered. This is not related to codecs, but to the fact that although you can play the ColorFX in realtime, they need to be rendered before exporting.

Return to posts index

Jack Shepard
on Mar 31, 2009 at 10:39:17 pm

[Jack Shepard] "It was exporting fine but I added some Color FX and now it wants to rerender all the footage upon export (it's a LOT of footage) so the render time is enormous. Is this due to me switching codecs once again?"

If you want to export ColorFX, they need to be rendered. This is not related to codecs, but to the fact that although you can play the ColorFX in realtime, they need to be rendered before exporting.

Thanks for the answers Floh. It is rendering more than just the ColorFx though. It is going back rendering the entire piece of media it appears. And some of these clips are 10 minutes to an hour long. Any idea on why it is doing that?

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Mar 31, 2009 at 10:42:20 pm

[Jack Shepard] "Thanks for the answers Floh. It is rendering more than just the ColorFx though. It is going back rendering the entire piece of media it appears. And some of these clips are 10 minutes to an hour long. Any idea on why it is doing that? "

The system has to render everything that either has an effect applied to it or is placed on a different track than VaVb for export. So either you have a ColorFX applied to everything, or a TimeFX, or another effect, or you placed your material on a track above the VaVb track.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]