MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Can't play HD video

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jeremy Rowell
Can't play HD video
on Mar 25, 2009 at 6:37:38 pm

Did a quick search, but couldn't find anything.
I work in an SD environment, but have been asked to create an HD clip. Made it in AE 1920x1080 and rendered it out as an qt Animation. Brought that into m100 and get error "Could not Play because the CPU was unable to process the video quickly enough" almost instantly. Also tried rendering to M100HD codec. What am I doing wrong & what are my options?

Activity Monitor shows less than 10% CPU usage!

M100 12.7.1
Dual 3.2QC
8GBram
OSX 10.5.6
QT 7.5

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
Re: Can't play HD video
on Mar 25, 2009 at 6:50:08 pm

Are your drives fast enough? Media 100 HD codec in 1080 is around 150MB/sec. Do you have the ProRes codec installed? Try rendering into ProRes to see if this is a drive performance issue.

Return to posts index

jeremy Rowell
on Mar 25, 2009 at 7:12:52 pm

I don't have the ProRes codec, and I believe I have to have Final cut to get that (correct me if I'm wrong)
Drives should be fast enough. 1.5tb "huge systems" raid array and a Dual Channel SCSI card "up to 320mb per channel" (atto ul5d).
Also tried playing of of my internal Sata raid... same problem.

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Mar 25, 2009 at 7:14:24 pm

Then I would guess that either your card placement of your boards inside the Mac is not correct, or that your PCI Express lanes are not set up correctly.

What kind of Mac and board do you have?

Return to posts index

jeremy Rowell
on Mar 25, 2009 at 8:51:05 pm

G5 Dual 3.2QC intel Xeon running 10.5.6
ATTO ExpressPCI UL5D SCSI card

Slot 1 video card
Slot 3 Aja Kona LHe card
Slot 4 Atto Card

I don't remember why they're in this order... but I must have had a reason... 8>)

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Mar 25, 2009 at 8:58:55 pm

Slot placement sounds good, so I guess it is the Expansion Slot Lane assignment. Go to your HD, into System->Library->CoreServices, and look for an app named Expansion Slot Utility. Start it and make sure that your profile is set to 4X, 4x, 1x, 16x; usually the second topmost choice. You can find more informations about that here.
Also make sure to check if you have the newest firmware and drivers for the Atto card, and the recommended Aja drivers for your Media 100 software version. Plus, how much RAM do you have in your system?

Return to posts index

jeremy Rowell
on Mar 25, 2009 at 9:04:51 pm

Tried to open the expansion slot utility and it gives the error "Expansion slot utility is not intended to run on this system".

I have 8gb of ram.

Checking on the Atto drivers now.

Return to posts index

jeremy Rowell
on Mar 25, 2009 at 9:28:39 pm

Atto Drivers are current 4.33

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Mar 25, 2009 at 10:07:22 pm

Then one thing you should try is to download the V13.0.1 trial to see if this fixes your issues (maybe install it to a second HD). I am not sure what your problem is, but maybe there is a bug with 12.7.1 and OSX 10.5.6. Or there is a problem with the Atto board, interfering with your Kona card...

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Mar 25, 2009 at 10:09:24 pm

Or try a "slow import" of your media clip. Check the "convert to selected media standard and compressor" checkbox in the Import dialog, and make sure that you have selected a HD format and Codec. Maybe there is something wrong with your media files.

Return to posts index

jeremy Rowell
on Mar 25, 2009 at 10:35:06 pm

Thank you for your help troubleshooting this. The slow import option did not work for me.

I will keep trying... maybe time to call Wick!

Return to posts index

Jason Tower
on Mar 26, 2009 at 12:23:51 pm

Jeremy, try putting the AJA card in slot #2, so your configuration would be:

Slot 1: Video Card
Slot 2: AJA LHe Card
Slot 3: Empty
Slot 4: ATTO Host Card

I had the same issue last year and moving the AJA card up one slot solved my problem! Here's a link to my original thread:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/4/861853#861853

Hope this helps you out!

Jason W. Tower
Fiddler Films

http://www.fiddlerfilms.com

Return to posts index

Wickham Strub
on Mar 26, 2009 at 2:50:41 pm

Good suggestion Jason, but...

I remember that your Mac was a new (at the time) Mac Pro 8-Core and, yes, we found that those Macs needed to have the AJA cards in Slot 2 in order to play nice with everything else. So...

Jeremy, it can't hurt to try, it's either going to work or not.

If it's still a no-go, try the following:

Running Media 100 via Apple's Terminal Utility
  • Locate the "Media 100" application in: Applications > Media 100 Folder
  • Right+Click (or Control+Click) on the "Media 100" application and choose "Show Package Contents"
  • Open the "Contents" folder
  • Open the "MacOS" folder
  • Double-click on the icon named "Media 100" (note: an alias of this icon can be placed on the desktop for easier access in the future)
  • Media 100 will now launch from within the Terminal utility
  • If / when a problem occurs, error information should appear in the Terminal window
  • Copy the info from the Terminal window and paste it into a response to this email

Return to posts index

jeremy Rowell
on Mar 26, 2009 at 4:47:22 pm

Thanks for the help Wick & Jason!
I have sent the Terminal info to Wick.

I will try moving the board a little later today.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]