MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Working with Color

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Wilcox
Working with Color
on Mar 18, 2009 at 11:02:58 pm

Just tried to send a project over to Color from MHD 13.01 using XML. The project opens up, but all the media is not linked. This project started out as logged and loaded shots from Betacam SP so clip names were added when shots were logged. It seems that color is looking for media based on the logged name and Media 100 is digitizing based on timecode naming convention.

Please tell me there is an easy solution to this and I don't have to manually re-link a couple hundred shots in Color... Not really workable.

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
Re: Working with Color
on Mar 18, 2009 at 11:09:50 pm

[Jim Wilcox] " It seems that color is looking for media based on the logged name and Media 100 is digitizing based on timecode naming convention. "

That is not true. Color reads the media files from the XML, with a path to the media files written in the XML. There are various reasons why you could get offline clips in Color: first, do you have Color and Media 100 on the same system? The XML exchange works with absolute path names, meaning that it Color looks to a specific directory on a specific HD for its files. If you moved the media files e.g. to a FireWire drive, the XML exchange will not work as expected.
Second, are your media files in a Codec which is supported by Color? Color is not a QuickTime application as you know it, but it is build for some selected QuickTime codecs. All the Media 100 codecs are not supported by Color, so if you have a clip in a Media 100 i or HD codec in your timeline Color cannot read it. I HIGHLY would recommend only working in ProRes or 4:2:2 Uncompressed when trying to do anything with Color, and to keep your timeline very clean and restricted to only one codec.

I am currently writing on a Media 100 to Color tutorial, and I hope to have it finished in the next couple of days. I will release the video tutorial covering the basic Media 100 to color exchange as soon as it is done.

Return to posts index

Jim Wilcox
on Mar 18, 2009 at 11:38:54 pm

Floh,

Your audio tut was great by the way.

I set out capturing this material uncompressed 4:2:2 specifically for this reason, but screwed up mid stream by another project. I am sure this is the issue and will just re-dig the final edit before the grade.

Look forward to the Color Tutorial.

Return to posts index

Jack Shepard
on Mar 31, 2009 at 9:58:08 pm

How would the DVCPro HD codec do with Color? I have a few projects I have been working on in that codec and wanted to go into Color when they are finished.

Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]