MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

HDx SDI timecode issue

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Stevens
HDx SDI timecode issue
on Mar 11, 2009 at 3:54:47 pm

I can't get Media 100 seeing timecode from a Sony EX3 (HD SDI output) into an HDx box? Is this possible please?

G5 dual 2.7, OS10.5.1, 4G RAM
Media100 HD V12 & Producer, AE 7
5.6 terra RAID

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
Re: HDx SDI timecode issue
on Mar 11, 2009 at 3:57:40 pm

You cannot see timecode from a (HD-)SDI connection, you can only get Timecode from a deck control connection. If you use the EX3, probably your best bet will be to connect the camera via FireWire for deck control and via HD-SDI for video input. Make sure that the deck control is set to FireWire, and you should get timecode and deck- (camera)-control.

Return to posts index

Chris Stevens
on Mar 11, 2009 at 4:26:53 pm

Thanks for the quick reply Floh. Unfortunately the EX3 can't output SDI when the Firewire port is switched on! So, as there are separate TC outputs on the EX3, can I connect this to the LTC timcode input on the HDx box?

G5 dual 2.7, OS10.5.1, 4G RAM
Media100 HD V12 & Producer, AE 7
5.6 terra RAID

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Mar 11, 2009 at 4:50:31 pm

[Chris Stevens] "So, as there are separate TC outputs on the EX3, can I connect this to the LTC timcode input on the HDx box?"

You can connect it but you won´t get Timecode from it. Actually, the port currently does nothing as far as I can tell.

Return to posts index

olof ekbergh
on Mar 12, 2009 at 12:52:39 pm

I use an EX3 and I just transfer from the cards (I use a MBP for transfer to a FW800 drive), this way TC comes with the clips and it is 6x or more than real time. I the use FCP (hook the FW800 drive to the M100 system), it plays the clips real time through my AJA you can even super the TC in real time on screen. There is no loss of quality and files are way smaller than ProresHQ.

This is the beauty of NoTape production.

Once I have picked my shots I then transfer to M100 and transcode to ProResHQ, I find this a very fast workflow.

M100 still blows FCP for editing out of the water. It will be great when you can play XDcam codec in M100.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]