MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Replacing Graphite G4 powermac/OS9... Will MDD version cause problems w/ m100i 7.5??

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Maxwell Federman
Replacing Graphite G4 powermac/OS9... Will MDD version cause problems w/ m100i 7.5??
on Mar 3, 2009 at 2:31:09 am

Hello

A hardware related issue recently killed a G4 powermac that was hosting a m100i 7.5 for OS9 system that, while dated, is still useful for many projects.

But the 867mhz G4 Digital Audio graphite powermac is very hard to find in good order. Several Mirrored Drive Doors versions are available at many different speeds. I have a very good deal on Mac service so it would not be cost-prohibitive for me to have it set up...
...the question is if there are known problems with putting M100i 7.5/OS9 on a MDD system (If I remember correctly the boards at least have physical compatibility...

Thanks for reading this post, and for your advice,

Max Federman

Return to posts index

John Aufderheide
Re: Replacing Graphite G4 powermac/OS9... Will MDD version cause problems w/ m100i 7.5??
on Mar 3, 2009 at 7:37:04 am

I have used that system - MDD 1.25 dual with Media 100 7.5 and 9.2.2 for years and it has been a wonderfully stable workhorse. I am not using it so much because more and more of my work is in HD. Good luck.

Return to posts index

Maxwell Federman
Re: Replacing Graphite G4 powermac/OS9... Will MDD version cause problems w/ m100i 7.5??
on Mar 3, 2009 at 2:40:58 pm

Thanks John.

Our clients still dump enough SD material on us, to keep another M100i around frees up another workstation...

So your advice will help save me hours of my life... Thanks again!

Max

Return to posts index

John Aufderheide
on Mar 3, 2009 at 4:41:49 pm

Max,

You are welcome. I assume you are aware that the MDD machines are loud. I now notice it a lot more because it is not on all the time. ;)

Good luck,

John

Return to posts index

Wickham Strub
on Mar 4, 2009 at 2:54:34 am

I agree, the increased machine noise should be the only potential "gotcha" with this plan. It'll work fine, but the noise might drive you a bit batty. They were known as the "Wind Tunnel" Macs for a reason.

Return to posts index

Maxwell Federman
on Mar 4, 2009 at 4:04:52 am

Good news...

...a friend dug up a graphite model he had in storage!

I also have a MDD workstation for the OSX / 8.2.3 system but I don't notice the humming over the older Betacam machines, duplication towers, etc...

I'd still say SGI Tezro was the noisiest workstation I've heard to date.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]