MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

crashing during export

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Jones
crashing during export
on Mar 2, 2009 at 4:46:57 pm

Mac Pro quad core, 8GB ram, OSx 10.5.6, QT 7.6.0, AJA LHe

I'm exporting ref files so I can compress each file to flash, mpg, and AVI for client's use.

I'm getting M100HD crashes while exporting the ref files from a DV timeline. The client supplied the source DV files. I set codec/renders to DV. I exported 13 of 18 ref files before I started having this problem.

Maybe there's a problem with the source file, but it plays fine on the timeline?

I tried opening the PGM in another project. Same result. I tried changing my codecs to m100i and render out a self contained file. still crashed. I dumped the M100 pref folder. same result.

I'm out of ideas...

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
Re: crashing during export
on Mar 2, 2009 at 4:50:22 pm

Sounds like you have a corrupt file somewhere. One thing you could try would be a QuickTime export to a codec of choice, e.g. to DV. If there is something wrong in the source file, but it still can be played back, maybe it also can get exported correctly via QuickTime (as opposed to being exported as the original file).

Return to posts index

Matt Jones
on Mar 2, 2009 at 5:18:39 pm

I just went and found the original source file. It won't open in quicktime. QT says it's an unrecognized file type. It's so weird it plays fine from the timeline.

I guess my last ditch effort will be to record the timeline video to betaSP then redigitize.

I also thought about running Apple disk utility on the drive which contains that file. Any cautions on running disk utility on my G-SPeed eS RAID to repair permissions?

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Mar 2, 2009 at 5:22:27 pm

[Matt Jones] "I also thought about running Apple disk utility on the drive which contains that file. Any cautions on running disk utility on my G-SPeed eS RAID to repair permissions? "

"Repair permissions" won´t help you at all, since this is only a function that can be done on the startup drive. It fixes the read/write permissions of some system files. You could perform a volume check in DiskUtility to see if there are problems, and usually this should not harm your drive.

Return to posts index

Matt Jones
on Mar 2, 2009 at 9:40:49 pm

Vol verfified. no problems.

I noticed that the original file titles have been changed. each ".mov" file now has ".mov.rend"

My customer had DV footage. I selected DV codec for aquire and render. I imported the files. They "updated" as they were imported, rather than building "NTSC track...." So I thought I was editing them in native DV, not transcoding them to another codec.

So now I'm trying to export them out as DV ref files with titles and dissolves, all rendered in the DV codec. Why does it have to render the video tracks as it exports a ref file? Is this where it's adding the ".rend" to the end of each video track's title?

Could it be an issue with the DV vs.DVCPro codec? It's showing up as "DV/DVCPro - NTSC" in the bin view and from the Quicktime info window. Is DV the same as DVCPro25?

Return to posts index

Matt Jones
on Mar 2, 2009 at 10:08:34 pm

After crashing and restarting AGAIN, I noticed that all the original files now have gone back to just the .mov extention.

I imported one of the orignal files back into the project and compared it to the same clip in a program and it looks much different.

The clip in the timeline is darker, and looks steppy, kinda like the old draft video mode in M100i. So M100HD is doing something to the DV video, and I'm not sure why.

You can also tell the difference when you're watching playback and there's an overlay that's been rendered in the past. So it's dark and steppy, hits the rendered overlay, looks like original video with nice overlay, and then goes back to steppy dark video when the overlay fades.

I'm thinking of dumping all of the "media locations" and "unrendering" all video, closing the project, and then relinking and re rendering all the overlays.

Return to posts index

Wickham Strub
on Mar 2, 2009 at 11:28:27 pm

Hey Matt,

Looks like you've got a weird one here.

The ".rend" extensions are concerning because it's not an extension that we (M100, that is) add to files. It makes me wonder what would happen if you started over with a new Project and completely eliminated whatever media drive you've been using up till now. I know Disk Utility "blessed" the drive but somethings not right.

~Wick

Return to posts index

Matt Jones
on Mar 3, 2009 at 2:29:17 pm

I agree. something's not right.

I have been using the m100i lossless codec exclusively since it was released. I don't normally work with DV files and when I do it's files that I have produced. Is there a difference between DV and DVCpro codecs? I know DVCPro50 is different.

I do think I've got at least one corrupt file. Quicktime won't play the file, but the M100 program containing a clip from that file will play on the timeline. I think it's playing because it's playing a rendered file, not the original media.

I'm all about switching the media to another drive if you think it will help. Exactly how would I "start over"? Is this right?

1. Delete media locations
2. close project
3. move media to new drive (delete rendered files?)
4. open new project, select new drive and codecs
5. open old program
6. render qt/titles/trans

Many thanks.

Return to posts index

Wickham Strub
on Mar 3, 2009 at 3:35:51 pm

Try these steps:

1 - Quit M100
2 - Move the media
3 - Delete the media from the original location
4 - Launch M100
5 - Cancel Media Search for existing Project
6 - Close existing Project
7 - Create the New Project, setting the Media Destinations, Prefs, etc the way you need them to be
8 - Bring the Programs and Bins into the new Project (you can use the File>Open... method or drag and drop)
9 - Open them up one at a time, letting the media search do it's thing
10 - Give it another go and see if you get the same results

Return to posts index

Matt Jones
on Mar 3, 2009 at 4:32:00 pm

I'll try it. Just a couple of questions:

What about the difference in the original DV footage and the footage in the timeline? (dark, steppy footage in timeline) Has that been rendered to another codec? Is it DV, DVCPro25? What's the difference? Does M100HD edit DV natively?

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Mar 3, 2009 at 6:17:30 pm

[Matt Jones] "What about the difference in the original DV footage and the footage in the timeline? (dark, steppy footage in timeline) Has that been rendered to another codec? Is it DV, DVCPro25? What's the difference? Does M100HD edit DV natively? "
Yes, it does. Try right-clicking on one of the clips in the timeline and chose "Get Clip Info" at the bottom. Look at the Codec settings for this clip

Return to posts index

Matt Jones
on Mar 3, 2009 at 7:31:41 pm

It says "DV/DVCPRO - NTSC"

Which makes me think it's the same thing.

In the codec settings you can setthe compression type for aquire and render to 3 settings. They are: "DV", "DVCPro" and "DVCPro50". Which makes me think DV and DVCPro (25?) are different.

So which is it?

As far as M100HD goes, are they they same or should you use different render settings for each?

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Mar 3, 2009 at 7:33:38 pm

[Matt Jones] "In the codec settings you can setthe compression type for aquire and render to 3 settings. They are: "DV", "DVCPro" and "DVCPro50". Which makes me think DV and DVCPro (25?) are different. "

DV and DVCPro are identical in NTSC land, but different in PAL (different color encoding).

Return to posts index

Matt Jones
on Mar 3, 2009 at 7:48:51 pm

Thanks for clearing that up.

I'm moving 36 GB of media now. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Return to posts index

Matt Jones
on Mar 3, 2009 at 8:30:23 pm

Nope. same thing. crashola.

I have the "problem report" Can we work it out from there?

Return to posts index

Jim Jorstad
Re: crashing during export- Same Experience from Wisconsin
on Mar 3, 2009 at 10:49:16 pm

We are experiencing a similar thing. We are exporting the timeline to a DVD recoder. We start the timeline and the recorder. About 6-8 minutes into the program, the Media 100 13.01 stops and so does the recorder. The program goes into never never land with the spinning multi-colored spectrum circle. This happens everytime and we need to export the program for a client to review in a presentation room. Can immediate help would be most helpful. The program is 20 minutes long so we can't keep waiting to see if everything turns out. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Wickham Strub
Re: crashing during export- Same Experience from Wisconsin
on Mar 4, 2009 at 2:40:10 am

This just isn't really the same thing. You're playing out to tape, not exporting. It still shouldn't crash... but it's not the same thing.

I see that you also started a new thread so I'll take it up from there.

~Wick

Return to posts index

Wickham Strub
on Mar 4, 2009 at 2:36:31 am

Send that report along to support at media 100 dot com. YOo can simply copy and paste info in the body of the email. Put my name, Wick, in the subject field so it catches my attention.

Return to posts index

Matt Jones
on Mar 4, 2009 at 9:21:48 pm

Thanks Wick, I'll send the report. I'd love to know what happened. I still don't know why my media changed from nice interlaced DV to steppy dark footage which crashed while exporting.

Here's what I did:

Once I moved the media to a new drive and got the same old crash, I asked my client to bring her drive in with the original media files on it.

I opened the PGM in a new project and re rendered all of the titles and transitions. I then closed the project and switched out the suspected corrupted files with new copies.

They had the exact same name, same size, same file (except not corrupt) I re-opened the project and all of the clips from those media files were offline. Not sure why they wouldn't relink.

I imported the new copies of the old media and went through and replaced each cut one by one, using the timecode values to make sure I got the edits the same.

I'm extremely happy to report that I was able to export all files as ref files and make my compressions on time.

What can we all learn from this? Beats me. I thought I did everything right from the start. DV footage in, DV codecs rendered, export ref files...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]