MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

HDe Audio Issues.

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gregg MichaelsHDe Audio Issues.
by on Feb 26, 2009 at 3:56:34 pm

Also in response to Jim's post below.

Hi Wick. We recently upgraded our HDe system to 13.0.1 from 12.7.1 (PPC) and we're having similar audio issues. Default audio levels are quite a bit crispy sounding, but the levels on the mixer are not corresponding to what we're hearing. In fact, the visual levels on the mixer look fine. Even when we lower the level on the mixer, the audio still sounds burned. As a workaround we changed the audio level out to +18db (Europe) and all is well. Our speaker system is connected to the analog (RCA) L/R outputs. Interesting that our HD Suite(Kona3) system is not having this issue, just the HDe. Both systems run MacOS 10.5.6 and Quicktime 7.6. Please let me know if there is anything else we can do to fix this.

GM

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: HDe Audio Issues.
by on Feb 26, 2009 at 4:03:15 pm

[Gregg Michaels] "Please let me know if there is anything else we can do to fix this."

One thing you could try (although I am not sure that this is the reason for what you are seeing) is to assign Bus 1 only to Hardware Channel 1/2 in the audio output preferences. I am not sure which signals are routed to the RCA outputs, since we do not use them, but maybe there is more than one copy of the bus routed to the output channel. I have done a tutorial on the multichannel mixing, posted here in this forum and on the Media 100 website, which explains the multichannel features more in depth.

Return to posts index

Gregg MichaelsRe: HDe Audio Issues.
by on Feb 26, 2009 at 4:42:43 pm

Thanks for the quick response Floh. I checked to see how things were routed in the audio output preference. The only setting is B1 to C1 (Bus to Output) all others are off. Still getting the same results. When I turn off that route, we hear nothing, which is what I was expecting. I copied the same project over to our HD Suite, and everything sounds fine, our hd suite monitors from rca analog as well. After further testing, all old(existing projects from 12.7.1) have this issue as well as the newly created project.
I'm going to try booting up on our backup drive with 12.7.1 still installed just to double check the old projects.

GM

Return to posts index

Jim WilcoxRe: HDe Audio Issues.
by on Feb 27, 2009 at 12:20:47 am

Gregg,

I have just updated to 13.0.1 and noted that we now have access to the Aja control panel for the card. In the manual for the panel the "setup" section allows one to lock the audio gain to unity. They reference Final Cut, but this tells the card to ignore level from the software, which would exhibit the symptoms you are talking about with the levels not conforming. I have not had a chance to really test this out, but its worth a look. FWIW that is referenced in the Aja manual on pg56.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 27, 2009 at 9:27:42 pm

Thanks for the reply Jim. I found the setting in the aja control panel, and found it checked. After unchecking it I got the same results, crispy sounding audio when audio out is set to 24db. Also, reverted back to 12.7.1 with no problems (on old projects). I guess we're going to have to stay at the Europe setting of 18db.

GM

Return to posts index

Wickham StrubRe: HDe Audio Issues.
by on Feb 27, 2009 at 9:33:23 pm

Hi guys,

I know I've been conspicuously absent from this conversation.

Don't worry, I'm doing all I can to put my finger on it and (if there's something we can do) work it out.

~Wick

Return to posts index

by on Mar 2, 2009 at 4:41:29 pm

Thanks Wick. A news on this issue would be helpful.

GM

Return to posts index

Jim JorstadRe: HDe Audio Issues.
by on Mar 5, 2009 at 1:39:02 am

Having the same issue too. I thought we had it fixed. After a few uses, finished the program, and all of the sudden all of the levels are too hot. This happened after a few force quits. All of the program versions within the project exhibit the same issue.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 5, 2009 at 3:22:51 am

In trying to fix another problem, we upgraded to QT 7.6. I am wondering if this is the culprit here. (?) Is there an easy way to revert back to 7.5 and see if that remedies the problem?

Return to posts index

by on Mar 5, 2009 at 5:56:24 pm

Gregg,

We may have found your problem, and ours. If you monitor your audio from the Media 100 Kona breakout box via the two RCA audio outputs on the far right you will be fine. If you hook up to the XLR analog audio outputs on the left, a the same time with the RCA audio outputs on the right, it distorts the audio particularly with transient audio peaks (solo piano). Our outputs were connected to a Sony DSR-30, with the deck off, and the audio was distorted. We unplugged the analog XLR outs, and viola, no distortion. Go figure. I detected this morning as we are trying to problem solve other issues. So far we are batting .333 Not bad in the major league. Let me know if this helps.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 5, 2009 at 6:23:41 pm

We monitor from the rca outputs on the far right. That's all that's hooked up, other then the sdi video in and out. I'm pretty sure this is a Media100 13.01 issue or the aja 6.0.2 driver. Hopefully Wick will have some answers.

GM

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: HDe Audio Issues.
by on Mar 24, 2009 at 9:14:18 pm

I have done some additional tests on the audio issues you are seeing/hearing. One area of problem could be that you are sending your RCA out to a consumer-level device. As far as I can tell there have been some changes to the Aja audio out drivers, and it seems like the levels could have changed there. But as far as I can tell the system is now outputting the same level as e.g. FinalCut on the RCA outs. If you have a way of e.g. hooking up your RCA out to a peakmeter or anything else you can do to check your levels on your RCA out it would be great to get these additional informations from you.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 27, 2009 at 2:26:06 pm

Actually we have a Hafler amp with a couple of KRK's, so it's not the quality of the equipment. Something definitely changed with software V13, or with the aja drivers. It's strange that going back to V12.7.1 fixes the problem(and older aja driver). I'm going to try upgrading the aja driver to 6.0.3 to see if that helps. Another note, the kona3 system is not effected only the LH board is.

GM

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]