16x9 program on Version 8.2.3 help

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Gordon
16x9 program on Version 8.2.3 help
on Feb 22, 2009 at 1:21:17 am

Hi,

I am on version 8.2.3.

The final output of this program needs to be widescreen, 16x9.

I am taking footage from a camera that shot at 873x486 pixels.

I converted this footage in Quicktime to a .mov file (it would not import the raw file).

I am including still photos in the final edit.

I made a VHS copy of a rough edit and some portions looked 'squeezed' (like the footage I needed to convert) and some things looked very stretched (like some of the photos).

The Producer wants an edit where he sees black bars at the top and bottom of the screen.

I have asked this before concerning 16x9. I believe the Producer needs a 16x9 monitor and I am doing everything correctly....I hope?

Most importantly, what do I do in AfterEffects concerning moving around on the still photos? Do I make the composition in NTSC DV Widescreen?

Thanks,

Paul

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
Re: 16x9 program on Version 8.2.3 help
on Feb 22, 2009 at 1:14:14 pm

[Paul Gordon] "I converted this footage in Quicktime to a .mov file (it would not import the raw file). "

The format sounds very strange. Is it 16:9? You should convert it in AE into a "proper" 16:9 anamorphic format. Therefore create a 16:9 PAL or NTSC composition (720*576 for PAL or 720*486 for NTSC with the Widescreen pixel aspect ratio), and drop it in there. If the pixel display correction is turned on in AE you will see the footage in the correct dimensions.

In Media 100, make sure to create a 16:9 timeline, and to set your broadcast Monitor to 16:9. Media 100 i does not do aspect ratio correction on the Component/SDI output; it sends out anamorphic 16:9 material, so you need to adjust your monitor correctly.

[Paul Gordon] "The Producer wants an edit where he sees black bars at the top and bottom of the screen."
How do you have to deliver the edit? On DVD? Or on DigiBeta/BetaSP/…? If you are supposed to deliver on tape, most likely you should create an anamorphic version (a fullscreen 720*576 or 720*486 image without black bars), since the broadcasting devices do the correction and the flagging for this. If you need to deliver on DVD, make sure that you interpret your MPEG2 file as widescreen e.g. in DVDStudioPro; the black bars also will be created from the DVD player if the player is set up correctly.

[Paul Gordon] "Most importantly, what do I do in AfterEffects concerning moving around on the still photos? Do I make the composition in NTSC DV Widescreen? " Yes. make a NTSC widescreen comp, and drop the photos into it. If the display aspect correction is turned on in AE, you will see the images correctly. Render into Media 100 codec (720*486), and import into Media 100 as 16:9. You will see the image correctly on your computer monitor in the source/record viewer, and you will see it correctly on your Component/SDI out if your broadcast monitor is set to 16:9

If you need more info let me know more about your workflow. How do you monitor the material; how do you plan to get it to tape/DVD or whatever.

Return to posts index

Paul Gordon
Re: 16x9 program on Version 8.2.3 help
on Mar 21, 2009 at 5:26:37 pm

Thanks Floh,

Sorry about the VERY late response!

I will keep you posted.

Paul

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]