MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Benefits of Wacom for Media100

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Buonamia
Benefits of Wacom for Media100
on Feb 17, 2009 at 2:34:08 am

I have been tossing around the idea of purchasing a Wacom Intuos tablet and I am curious about the benefits it brings to editing on Media 100. How have people's day to day editing improved because of one of these tablets. Why do you prefer to use a Wacom over a traditional keyboard/mouse?

Return to posts index

Chris Clephane
Re: Benefits of Wacom for Media100
on Feb 17, 2009 at 8:24:54 am

I use an Intuos2 quite a bit for Photoshop, but would NOT ever consider using it for timeline video editing. Tried it. Hated it.

Both tools.

Our Intuos came with both a 3 button scroll wheel mouse and the pen. The mouse (which must be used ON the tablet digitizer) exhibits just enough visible input latency (move the mouse...then the movement registers a few milliseconds later.) to be really annoying. I now normally use a standard trackball. The PEN is not a great tool for timeline editing either. It requires larger arm movements than a mouse or trackball when editing...as we editors normally make larger regular sweeping motions when scrolling timelines and footage. Not the finite stabs, prods and nudges of "painting" as in Photoshop, or guiding as in Illustrator. The repetitive motions are different... Its also very easy to accidentally hit the pen buttons....

ANYONE....please feel free to argue. But for general video editing a tablet (for us) does not seem to provide any benefit..and seems to be a hindrance.

That stated...If I am doing a LOT of masking/mask work in After Effects...the pen/tablet combination is really handy and runs circles around the mouse/trackball. But again, this is Illustrator type work...within the video app....

My only real suggestions are: You really need to consider the repetitive motions that you will be making. From our experience...editing seems to be done best with a trackball if you are trying to keep your shoulders/back/arms healthy. A mouse is a good second option. The pen is great for artwork and masking...but for broad sweeping gestures and the repetitive actions of timeline editing....its exclusive use seems to be a liability.

FYI: We keep BOTH hooked up and active at all times. That way the "correct" tool is always within quick reach.

Borrow one from a friend for a week or so....(NOT just an afternoon!).....that's pretty much the only way you will know if it works for you. Your hands WILL undoubtedly ache after a few days of "exclusive use"...and you may discover the pen is not a comfortable way to work. And then again....you may decide its the greatest thing since sliced bread.... Give it a whirl...

SIMPLE ANSWER: Its all about you. Good luck.

I edit video. I post sometimes.
I fix things. I eat marshmallows.
I play drums. I drink scotch.
I like TV.

Done typing now.

Return to posts index

Chris Clephane
on Feb 17, 2009 at 8:26:26 am

All that stated....using the Wacom in front of others/outsiders seems to LOOK really cool at least....

I edit video. I post sometimes.
I fix things. I eat marshmallows.
I play drums. I drink scotch.
I like TV.

Done typing now.

Return to posts index

Ben Heusner
on Feb 17, 2009 at 1:29:16 pm

I use an A5 Wacom tablet for editing and personally find it much easier on the hand than a mouse. Admittedly, I use the keyboard shortcuts for most of the heavy lifting, but still the pen & tablet is my weapon of choice.

It significantly reduces the "old lady hand" I get from a long day using a mouse, and I like double-clicking with a single button press (I know I know, I can reconfigure a regular mouse to do that too :o))

It took a couple of weeks to get truly comfortable with it. I'm really glad I persevered though.

And as Chris said, it looks cool.

It really is a personal preference, so if you can, take an *extended* spin with one to see if you like it. One day just won't cut it.

Cheers,
Ben

Curious Turtle Professional Video
Training | Editing |Support

http://www.curiousturtle.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]