MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

QuickTime 7.6 Resolves Issue with Media 100 i and MJPEG B Codecs

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
olof ekberghQuickTime 7.6 Resolves Issue with Media 100 i and MJPEG B Codecs
by on Jan 27, 2009 at 3:27:53 pm

I got this in an Email from M100 just now

QuickTime 7.6 Resolves Issue with Media 100 i and MJPEG B Codecs

QuickTime 7.6 is now available and we are pleased to announce that it resolves the QuickTime 7.5.5 "bad video frame" issue with the Media 100 i and MJPEG B codecs. Go here to download QuickTime 7.6.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

Marty EllenbergerNot entirely, for a LEGACY setup...
by on Jan 27, 2009 at 3:46:46 pm

And I'm talking REALLY legacy, as in 8.2.3 running on a G4 under 10.4.11 I know, believe me if I could talk "management" into an upgrade I would be ecstatic. But I've been trying for years and now... well, we all know where budgets are right now.

Anyway I don't seem to be getting the BVF errors, but all the clips in my bins are little pink rectangles. No visual reference at all. Back to 7.5 I'm afraid.

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: Not entirely, for a LEGACY setup...
by on Jan 27, 2009 at 3:50:07 pm

Are you sure you upgraded to 7.6, and not to 7.5.5? I havenĀ“t tried it on 10.4.11, but as far as I know 7.6 should fix the problems on 10.4.11 as well as on 10.5.x

Return to posts index

Marty EllenbergerRe: Not entirely, for a LEGACY setup...
by on Jan 27, 2009 at 4:52:51 pm

Yes, after the upgrade I checked in the QT prefs and it read 7.6. The pink rectangles were happening under 7.5.5 too, but I was also getting the BVF errors.

Return to posts index

Wickham StrubRe: Not entirely, for a LEGACY setup...
by on Jan 27, 2009 at 4:54:09 pm

Olof,

Try creating a new project and bringing the bin(s) into the new project. This will force the creation of new keyframes. If they're still pink after that, then there's something else going on.

Let us know either way. I can dust of my M100i system and try to reproduce it here.

~Wick

Return to posts index

Wickham StrubOOPS - above post meant for Marty, not Olof
by on Jan 27, 2009 at 4:55:35 pm

sorry about that

Return to posts index

by on Jan 27, 2009 at 5:16:18 pm

Thanks Wick, I'll try that when I get a chance. Right now I'm finishing a current project on it. Legacy though it may be, we still use it almost every day.

Return to posts index

Danielle DeLuciaRe: Not entirely, for a LEGACY setup...
by on Jan 27, 2009 at 9:11:51 pm

I'm interested to hear the results here because I have the exact same set up (M100 8.2.3 on a G4 running Mac OS 10.4.11) and am seeing the exact same problem with the pink keyframes. No other errors, but it would be nice to be able to visually identify your clips. We use our system almost daily as well- we're a small Community Television station, and it still works really well, so it would be nice to know if I need to revert back to 7.5 again. Thanks!

Danielle DeLucia
Grafton Commmunity Television
Grafton, MA

Return to posts index

by on Jan 28, 2009 at 2:42:56 pm

Danielle, for now we have backslushed to QT 7.5. As time allows I will try the "Create new project" solution suggested above, but that seems like a tedious way to handle it. I'll post back when I have some results.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 28, 2009 at 8:35:01 pm

Hey Marty,

Don't bother, stick with QT 7.5

I have tried EVERYTHING I can think of and I'm seeing the same thing.

What it boils down to is this...

Although the new-generations of HD-capable Media 100 systems support legacy projects and media, they are FAR from the old Media 100 i systems. It appears that QT 7.5 broke M100i in a different way than it did the new systems. It sure looked like the same thing to everybody (including us) but, obviously, there's more to it. Sadly, I think I can safely say that it's NEVER going to get "fixed".

It's frankly a miracle that it took THIS long for the QuickTime updates to "break" the old Media 100i systems.

The last QT version that we could officially vouch for, QT v7.0.4, was released in January of 2006. It took 15 more updates to QuickTime before Media 100 i was shaken. That's nearly THREE years without changing a single line of Media 100 i code. To the engineers both current and past who still lurk on this forum (you know who you are), you should feel proud... or lucky... or both.

The good new is, as you noted, M100i still works like a champ with QT 7.5 under it. So all is not completely lost.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 28, 2009 at 8:56:44 pm

[Wickham Strub] "Although the new-generations of HD-capable Media 100 systems support legacy projects and media, they are FAR from the old Media 100 i systems. It appears that QT 7.5 broke M100i in a different way than it did the new systems. It sure looked like the same thing to everybody (including us) but, obviously, there's more to it. Sadly, I think I can safely say that it's NEVER going to get "fixed". "

I think the main question is: is the MJPEG B problem fixed only in QuickTime 7.6 for Leopard/10.5, or also in QuickTime 7.6 for Tiger/10.5. Since the Media 100 i systems are running Tiger, it could be the case that the MJPEG B problem still exists for Media 100 V12.x systems, which run under OSX 10.4.11, and that the problem was only fixed for systems running on OSX 10.5?!?

Return to posts index

by on Jan 28, 2009 at 9:10:43 pm

Good point Floh (DAMN he's good). Unfortunately, it's a scenario I am completely unable to test right now. Anyone out there successfully running the following config:

- OS 10.4.11
- QT 7.6
- M100 v12.1.3

or perhaps and even older setup?

Return to posts index

Danielle DeLuciaRe: Not entirely, for a LEGACY setup...
by on Jan 29, 2009 at 8:44:50 pm

Ok then, back to 7.5. I had tried the "create a new project and bring the bins in" solution this morning to find that it didn't work, and I was hoping someone had something else to try. Ah well- thanks for the input guys, and I appreciate your attempts to solve the problem.

Danielle

Return to posts index

Brad JonesRe: Not entirely, for a LEGACY setup...
by on Feb 2, 2009 at 2:43:56 pm

I'm right there with you guys. The boss won't replace a system that works! So BACK to 7.5 for me too!

J. Brad Jones
BBB Communications
http://www.bbbtv12.com
http://www.wyshtv.com

Return to posts index

Chris BarrettRe: Not entirely, for a LEGACY setup...
by on Feb 7, 2009 at 6:40:32 pm

Would appreciate Wickham casting magic hand over my query! Have had Med 100 for 10 years, now have G5 OS 10.4.11 Media 100HDe vers.11.6.2.(couldn't afford upgrade yet). Got over confident, did my first update before Christmas including QT 7.5.5 - You guys know what happened. Lost Media 100i legacy play so backdated to QT 7.5 helped by all those good posts. Works but lost Compressor and at first various bits of Motion etc. Now, crunch time. Should I update to QT 7.6 or wait?

Believe what I see!

Return to posts index

by on Feb 8, 2009 at 10:16:10 am

[Chris Barrett] "Should I update to QT 7.6 or wait? "

Harddrives are extremely cheap these days. So there definitely is no reason not to have a second internal or FireWire drive with a clone of your startup drive (and maybe with a backup of some of your most essential video assets). Now if you do an upgrade like the one to QT7.5.5 you can do that easily with the confidence that you can roll back (or simply reboot) to your second HD with the known good configuration in case something breaks.
So get yourself a second HD, do a clone (e.g. with Carbon Copy Cloner) onto the second HD and upgrade your main HD to see what happens.

Return to posts index

Chris BarrettRe: Not entirely, for a LEGACY setup...
by on Feb 8, 2009 at 12:47:57 pm

Thanks Floh, makes sense, showing my ignorance though, does that mean a complete clone of everything on my Mac HD or just a start up part?
Chris

Believe what I see!

Return to posts index

by on Feb 9, 2009 at 7:15:59 am

[Chris Barrett] "Thanks Floh, makes sense, showing my ignorance though, does that mean a complete clone of everything on my Mac HD or just a start up part? "

You should have different partitions or harddrives. One for your OSX System and applications, and one for your media files. You only need to clone the one with your system and applications, for example with Carbon Copy Cloner.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]