MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

audio cassettes to cd

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jerome Robbins
audio cassettes to cd
on Jan 15, 2009 at 9:16:45 pm

Media 100 8.2.2 Mac g-4 OS 10.3.9

This probably isn't the right forum but maybe i can be directed to the right place. I have 30 cassette audio tapes I want to put on cd. Each tape has 45 min per side, so there is 22.5 hrs. I could digitize into bins in Media 100, then put on the time line, trim and export as an audio file, then burn to cd.

My questions are: if I did it this way what would be the most efficient settings or file types to export. OR is there a better easier inexpensive program to use for this process?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
Re: audio cassettes to cd
on Jan 16, 2009 at 6:52:27 am

[Jerome Robbins] "My questions are: if I did it this way what would be the most efficient settings or file types to export. OR is there a better easier inexpensive program to use for this process? "

Basically your idea is good. I would digitize in 44.1kHz directly for CD use, so that you donĀ“t need to convert from 48kHz to 44.1 when burning to CD. Export as stereo AIFF files (in 44.1kHz) from your Media 100 timeline, and you are good to go.

Or you can use more or less every sound application for this work, like the free Audacity, GarageBand, Soundtrack or even QuickTime Player. The Media 100 audio inputs are most likely the ones with a higher audio quality than the Mac Line inputs, but since you are coming from Cassette tapes audio quality is not the best, anyway.

Return to posts index

Wickham Strub
on Jan 16, 2009 at 2:21:44 pm

I agree with Floh's ideas about settings. I've done this myself in the past, archiving old "comedy" tapes my friends and I had made in idle days of youth.

While you certainly don't NEED a full-blown NLE to pull something like this off, a real junction box makes this a lot easier.

Return to posts index

Jerome Robbins
on Jan 22, 2009 at 3:48:18 pm

Thank you so much for your responses. It works great. One more question, How do you get the CD's to have chapter points? The cd's have the whole 80 min. as one file without breaks. I would be good to have a break to forward to every 10 min. or so.

jerome

Return to posts index

Wickham Strub
on Jan 22, 2009 at 3:51:31 pm

Hmmm...off the top of my head...

I'd say you should cut them up as you wish in M100 then export the clips one at a time. Then, bring the multiple audio clips to whatever burning software you're using. You should end up with separate tracks that way.

Return to posts index

Dennis Dean
on Jan 24, 2009 at 1:26:24 pm

It would also be worth it to play back the cassettes - however good or bad in audio quality - from a quality cassette deck. Low end players are inherently plagued by rotten signal-to-noise ratios, wow and flutter. A good deck can help minimize this. I write this only because cassette decks tend to be disappearing from the marketplace. Haven't used one in years.

Dennis Dean
The Dean Group
-It's about results-
http://www.deangroup.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]