MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Timeline transition problems

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt JonesTimeline transition problems
by on Jan 12, 2009 at 3:37:22 pm

I have just noticed a problem with transitions and cuts changing when moving clips on the timeline. This is a problem that I had with an old version of Media100i (v7?) that got worked out by the time I settled into v 8.2.3.

I'm now running M100HDv13 on a new system and was horrified to see this happen:

I'm editing a 23 min DV program. I was doing some tweaks to the middle of the program and used the shift-command-H to select from here. I moved the back end of the program to make room for a new clip. I inserted the new clip and then moved the back end of the program back to close up the space. While closing up the gap I also moved the back end tracks from A to B video tracks, resulting in every clip swapping from A to B or B to A, depending on where they started.

I started playing back the program for my client and discovered that 10-15 dissolve transitions had disappeared. I also had inserted clips that had lost their cut arrows, resulting in no cut, but the clip still sitting on the other (A or B) track.

I will now need to double check all of my transitions after every time I move a sequence of clips on the timeline. I'd rather waste my time doing the same thing twice, rather than my clients wondering what happened to the transition that we discussed and decided upon that is no longer there.

Please let me know if this is a predictable error, and if it can be avoided or fixed.

I love my Media100HD and want to be able to trust that it's not undoing what I've already done.

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: Timeline transition problems
by on Jan 12, 2009 at 3:42:03 pm

I never saw this happen with V13. Can you describe step by step what you did? Or even better, can you upload or mail me a timeline (without the media files) and a step by step description on how to make this happen?

Return to posts index

Matt JonesRe: Timeline transition problems
by on Jan 12, 2009 at 4:50:12 pm

Thanks Floh,

Here's what I did:

1. Edited a M100 SD 4x3 pgm w/ DV codec selected
2. Position CTI in middle of program.
3. push option-command-H to select all tracks from current position
4. Move selected tracks later in timeline
5. insert new video clip into gap
6. push option-command-H to select all past the new clip
7. drag selected clips back to close the gap, moving the first selected clip from V-a track to V-b track so I can add transition between the new clip and the next one. This move also swaps all clips from V-a to V-b or V-B to V-a

Everything should be the same at the end of the program, but it wasn't. 10-15 dissolves disappeared, and several cuts to/from a cutaway also got lost.

Where should I send the program?

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: Timeline transition problems
by on Jan 12, 2009 at 5:37:56 pm

can you reproduce this problem on your timeline (meaning if you do the steps described above, does the problem show up again)? Maybe with a backup copy from the backup folder from a time before you did this? If so, please send the timeline to me.

Return to posts index

Matt JonesRe: Timeline transition problems
by on Jan 12, 2009 at 8:22:29 pm

..just getting back in.

I tried twice to duplicate the problem as requested. No problems either time. Doh!

I also thought of one other thing that happened Friday that was out of the ordinary. I started the project Thursday by importing DV quicktime files that the client had digitized elsewhere. No Problems Thursday. On Friday when I tried to open the project I got an -199 error. A little research on the 'Cow revealed the -199 to be a corrupt media file error. I restarted and reopened the project. Same thing. I restarted and tried a third time and like magic, no problems. It just went away without me doing anything to the media.

The transition problem I had happened after that.

I have had no further problems since (can you hear me knocking on my wooden desk?)

Any words of wisdom to avoid this transition problem would be appreciated. If it happens again, I will immediately send you the program.

Return to posts index

Michael SloweRe: Timeline transition problems
by on Jan 13, 2009 at 11:44:50 am

Matt, I have from time to time had similar problems (version 12.1.1) but not quite as pronounced. I find that the longer the timeline the more likely that troubles arise, especially if the programme has been worked for a long time with many revisions. Transitions do often disappear but they are easily reinstated since clips and arrows remain in situ. I did find however that on a recent downscale from HD to Motion JPEG, on re rendering, that whole clips vanished! I found in the end that the project had become 'corrupt' and after copying everything over to a new one all was well. Why is it that we get all the problems and Floh never does? Could it be that he is cleverer than us?

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved