MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

acquire function freezes during when digitizing footage Media 100 v 13.0

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Jorstadacquire function freezes during when digitizing footage Media 100 v 13.0
by on Jan 10, 2009 at 12:37:58 am

We just updated to version 13.0, and had to dummy down QT to 7.5. Everything seems to work but when digitizing our footage, the MAC freezes and we have to force quit Media 100. We can't get anything do any digitizing of footage. We can create a timeline lay down graphics and music, but cannot digitize anything. Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: acquire function freezes during when digitizing footage Media 100 v 13.0
by on Jan 10, 2009 at 10:17:20 am

I have an idea, but I need some additional details first. What CPU, OS version and Media100 card are you using? And what kind of storage and which codec do you use?

Return to posts index

Jim JorstadRe: acquire function freezes during when digitizing footage Media 100 v 13.0
by on Jan 11, 2009 at 12:00:33 am

Floh,

Here are the specific after more testing. We are using a PowerMac G5 2.7GHz, 2 CPU's, 512 L2 cache, Bus Speed 1.35. We are using version 13.0, and have a Kona Lhe card which we have updated only the software and not the firmware. The software version is 6.01. We have tried several disk raids with the same problem. The acquire quits randomly after 30 seconds, a minute, etc. We have also hooked up a DV camera and seemed to work, however going back to various tapes, shot at different times, the acquiring Freeze happened everytime.

I was using the Media 100 i codec. I switched to the DV and HD codec and it worked fine with no problems. I also tried the Motion JPEG B, the acquire freeze happens again. What codec is suggested to give me the best quality with SD material? Does the 13.0 upgrade cause the problem with just the Media 100 i codec and the Motion JPEG B/ Any help you can provide would be very welcomed. I am under a tight timeline!

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: acquire function freezes during when digitizing footage Media 100 v 13.0
by on Jan 11, 2009 at 12:41:08 pm

Jim,

is it correct that you get a "spinning beachball" cursor during acquire, and that the tape continues to move while the status bar (or TC) freezes during acquire? Or do you get a crash/unexpectedly quit of the application?
First thing you should check is if the downgrade to QuickTime 7.5 was successful. Open QuickTime player to see if it reads QuickTime 7.5 under the About QuickTime Player window.
Then, if you are in fact running QuickTime 7.5 and the latest OS version, it is very likely that you run into a bug that Apple introduced in some PPC code in one of the latest OSX updates (not sure where it started); so this bug is not really related to V13, as far as I can tell, but should happen on V12.7 with the same OS version as well. I guess you did update your OSX version along with V13, didnĀ“t you?
If you are under a tight deadline I would suggest that you contact me directly to discuss this further, or that you get in touch with Media 100 support and mention this PPC problem.

Return to posts index

Jim JorstadRe: acquire function freezes during when digitizing footage Media 100 v 13.0
by on Jan 13, 2009 at 5:20:14 am

Floh,

I will respond directly to you, but thought I would let you know that I tried the Media 100i codec with the lossless compression box checked. It worked for a 3 1/2 minute digitized clip without freezing. So, I thought I had it figured out. Today I used the same codec with lossless compression, and the acquire function froze, I got the dreaded spinning Apple spectrum color wheel and the DV tape kept on playing in the machine- it's just the acquire and the data stopped. If this happens I lose anything I digitized before the freeze. Today I had to just digitize a short segment, save the program, close Media 100, reopen Media 100, then try to quickly digitize the next segment before it froze again. Not the most productive work flow. Anything you and I can figure out off line would be of great help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]