MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Monitor suggestions?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
CJ MacPhersonMonitor suggestions?
by on Dec 26, 2008 at 7:33:46 pm

I am finally going to replace my two Viewsonic VP17" computer monitors. I would like to hear what others are using or suggestions as to what to get. I prefer nothing larger than 20-22". I have M100 HDe. I am not replacing my video monitor just yet, it is an older (5 years) JVC with 750 lines resolution and I've been quite happy with it. I am purchasing the new monitors before year end.
Thank you and Happy Holidays!

Return to posts index

Chris ClephaneRe: Monitor suggestions?
by on Jan 2, 2009 at 11:44:00 pm

Boy....quite a can of worms here.
And a tough one to answer...which is probably why you haven't seen any responses on this query.

In my opinion, it seems most manufacturers (outside of Apple) seem to be changing their offerings/specs/model numbers every few months or so. It would be very difficult from what I have seen to make any specific recommendations---because anything I would recommend based on my recent purchases--is probably not available today. Our Apple displays have been good to us, but for the price we spent...similar specs are available today for less money than we paid a few years ago.

That stated....

Two factors you may want to consider when evaluating LCD displays for purchase are RESPONSE time (usually rated in milliseconds) and BRIGHTNESS (usually rated in nits).

Simply stated lower response times and higher brightness levels are generally better.

Response time is how quickly the display reacts to incoming data.
(The finite physics of electricity acting on individual elements in the LCD...and how quickly the elements can react to repolarize the light passing through to display the desired information.)
Older slower LCD's created the illusion of "loss of audio sync" when editing video...because they responded too slow to incoming data. (The older displays we had had 30-50ms response times.) The display was ALWAYS behind the audio.
Newer displays (with 5-9 ms response times) are better about this.
Brighter displays offer you a wider range of viewing situations without "washing out"...from sunlit room to darkened edit suite. Simply stated brighter is usually better.

Sticking with a major manufacturer often helps, but there are a lot of quality displays out there under lesser known names...

There are other issues and details to consider if you are really into prepress or color integrity...but these things don't affect the majority of users...so I won't bore you with such finite and utterly neurotic details.

Hopefully some others might have opinions on this as well...

Good luck.
-C

I edit video. I post sometimes.
I fix things. I eat marshmallows.
I play drums. I drink scotch.
I like TV.

Done typing now.

Return to posts index

CJ MacPhersonRe: Monitor suggestions?
by on Jan 4, 2009 at 4:01:31 pm

Thanks Chris for you input. I was all set to purchase two Eizo monitors, but have decided to wait until the Macworld Conference to see what the next Apple Display will be. Eizo ColorEdge 21" is twice the price as Apple, but response time is faster, higher brightness and better contrast. I also do a fair amount of work in Photoshop, but editing is first. My Viewsonic VP171b's were a pretty good choice 5 years ago with 8ms response time, .264 pixel pitch, but, brightness is only 300. So, I'm ready to upgrade to slighter larger size 20-22", and still use two monitors. There are SO many choices and it comes down to cost and what works for each individual. I'm just curious what others like or dislike.

Return to posts index

Chris ClephaneRe: Monitor suggestions?
by on Jan 5, 2009 at 5:44:06 am

Just as an afterthought...based on your response.
I ran dual monitor setups on our M100 systems for years until Apple came out with the 30".
Everyone in our shop now prefers a single 30" to the dual 22" setups we ran previously.
FYI-In addition to M100, we also do a LOT of After Effects. The large single display has proven less tedious over a long day. Other opinions will in this forum may differ, but those whose weekly paychecks I sign all politely nod in agreement with me... (funny how that works...)
-C

I edit video. I post sometimes.
I fix things. I eat marshmallows.
I play drums. I drink scotch.
I like TV.

Done typing now.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]