MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

AJA Board Crashes Computer

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy StintonAJA Board Crashes Computer
by on Dec 22, 2008 at 9:22:09 pm

In fact it won't even let the Mac Pro boot up . I'm running 13 with 6.0.1 drivers . Any ideas could this be a snarfed board or are there driver problems out there ?

Andy Stinton
Corporate Video
Live & Stage Events
Business Practices

Return to posts index

Wickham StrubRe: AJA Board Crashes Computer
by on Dec 22, 2008 at 9:35:29 pm

Hey Andy,

I assume you've come to this conclusion by pulling the AJA card out to get the Mac to boot?

I've seen this myself a few times. I'm still not really sure HOW it gets in this state, but I'm pretty confident I know how to get it out.

- Leave the card out
- Boot up
- Run the AJA Uninstaller
- Restart (I think the uninstaller forces a restart. If not, do it anyway)
- Shut down
- Install the card
- Boot up (it SHOULD boot this time)
- Install the correct driver for your card
- Restart while crossing your fingers
- Let us know what happens

~Wick

Return to posts index

by on Dec 23, 2008 at 2:02:48 am

Floh's probably right (isn't he always?) but I have more questions.

Will it boot with the card installed if the driver is UNinstalled?

When you were uninstalling / installing the driver, did you get a message reading "Updating Boot Cache" on restart? Because you SHOULD be seeing that. If you're NOT, then... well... I don't know what that means but, hold on, Oh GOOGLE!....

OK, I still don't pretend to know exactly what it means but that's always been the clue to me whether it was going boot or not.

At the very least this info will likely be useful to the folks at AJA.

Give us a call at Media 100 if you need our help.

~Wick

Return to posts index

Andy StintonRe: AJA Board Crashes Computer
by on Dec 22, 2008 at 9:39:21 pm

Okay I'm having trouble crossing my fingers and pulling the card:) What are the correct drivers for 13 and Media 100 v13? 6.01 or 6.02 ?

Andy Stinton
Corporate Video
Live & Stage Events
Business Practices

Return to posts index

by on Dec 22, 2008 at 10:07:34 pm

I was hoping you'd catch the crossed-fingers thing.

The 6.0.1 driver is the driver of choice for M100 v13.0. Do be sure you pick the one for your particular AJA card: LSe, LHe or Kona3.

~Wick

Return to posts index

by on Dec 22, 2008 at 11:18:57 pm

Alas no joy in Mudville . I went through the procedure twice still the same issues .

Andy Stinton
Corporate Video
Live & Stage Events
Business Practices

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: AJA Board Crashes Computer
by on Dec 22, 2008 at 11:23:00 pm

Some additional random ideas:

Do you have anything else in the MacPro, either another PCI card (except the graphics card) or 3rd party RAM? Try removing this.
Do you use the correct slot for the card?
Did you try resetting the Parameter RAM CMD-Opt-P-R during startup)?
Of course it can be the case that the board is bad. Is this a new board, or did you use it somewhere before? Do you have another Mac to test the board?

Return to posts index

by on Dec 22, 2008 at 11:33:37 pm

What do you mean by third party ram ? That not supplied with by Apple ? Yes I do but the board has been running okay for sometime with the non Apple ram.
No other cards .
I'm in slot three, with it set as per AJA, checked that using the utility.
Good about the pram I will try that .
The board has always been in this computer . We don't have another Mac pro to test it in .

I don't know if this is a symptom or just some weird coincidence, but before the crash I could only get output in HD component . The SD component was not working properly nor was the composite (it was B&W) . I was going to get around to having a look when this morning the problems started.

I did curse at it the other day , do you think I hurt it's feelings :)

Andy Stinton
Corporate Video
Live & Stage Events
Business Practices

Return to posts index

by on Dec 23, 2008 at 12:46:13 am

To me this sounds as if your Kona board just broke. Depending on where you bought it you should either get in touch with Aja support or with Media 100 (although Wick probably is already looking into it). From what I heard Aja techsupport is said to be very good and quick with these hardware issues; if you get your board exchanged you should keep in mind that you most likely need a new Media 100 encryption code for the new board; you can test it with the 14day trial, though.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 23, 2008 at 2:04:45 am

UGH!! Sorry for the double post. I'm putting it down here too for those reading in Thread-view.
---------------------------------------
Floh's probably right (isn't he always?) but I have more questions.

Will it boot with the card installed if the driver is UNinstalled?

When you were uninstalling / installing the driver, did you get a message reading "Updating Boot Cache" on restart? Because you SHOULD be seeing that. If you're NOT, then... well... I don't know what that means but, hold on, Oh GOOGLE!....

OK, I still don't pretend to know exactly what it means but that's always been the clue to me whether it was going boot or not.

At the very least this info will likely be useful to the folks at AJA.

Give us a call at Media 100 if you need our help.

~Wick

Return to posts index

by on Dec 29, 2008 at 11:05:59 pm

Well I will try that before I send it back. Just tried it on another computer and no go same symptoms. I think it has joined the choir invisible.

I'll let you know hoe my uninstalled driver boot goes.

Andy Stinton
Corporate Video
Live & Stage Events
Business Practices

Return to posts index

by on Jan 2, 2009 at 6:23:42 am

Loaded board without drivers into second computer no problem. Loaded drivers + board blue screen on start up and hangs there... The board is now a decorative part of my desk:)

Andy Stinton
Corporate Video
Live & Stage Events
Business Practices

Return to posts index

by on Jan 2, 2009 at 10:48:20 am

[Andy Stinton] "Loaded board without drivers into second computer no problem. Loaded drivers + board blue screen on start up and hangs there... The board is now a decorative part of my desk:)"

Then you definitely should get in touch with Aja. They are said to react very quickly and do send advance exchange boards. Hopefully you will be back in business soon...

Return to posts index

by on Jan 2, 2009 at 3:50:11 pm

Thanks Flo . Media 100 ( Matt) has already set the wheels in motion . It would be remiss of me not to mention the excellent service and support that both Wick and Matt have given me . It's this kind of support that keeps me a loyal Media 100 user.

Andy Stinton
Corporate Video
Live & Stage Events
Business Practices

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]