MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

AJA Driver 6.0.2

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wickham StrubAJA Driver 6.0.2
by on Dec 15, 2008 at 10:06:19 pm

Hi all,

Just a quick note regarding the newly release AJA Kona Driver v6.0.2.

Media 100 v13 does NOT work on this driver...yet. We expect to release an update of Media 100 that DOES work on the new driver very soon.

Return to posts index

birgir bragasonRe: AJA Driver 6.0.2
by on Dec 15, 2008 at 11:26:00 pm

How come you are always so slow?

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: AJA Driver 6.0.2
by on Dec 16, 2008 at 7:34:24 am

[birgir bragason] "How come you are always so slow?"

I guess this was a joke???

Return to posts index

Wickham StrubRe: AJA Driver 6.0.2
by on Dec 16, 2008 at 4:44:27 pm

Really Birgir? You signed up on the Cow just for that?

Well then, I'll take the opposite approach from Floh and assume that your question is a very serious one. Not that I owe anybody an explanation, but hey, it's the Holidays so... what the heck?!

We're "slow" because we want to ensure that the software we release (the software we have control over) works correctly with the software that Apple and AJA release (software we do NOT have control over).

We realize that our customers aren't using Media 100 to make home movies and "funny" videos to post on YouTube. Most of them use these systems to put roofs over their heads and food on the table. The stability of their systems is important to them, and thus, it is important to us.

I had hoped to release an update last Friday, less than 24 hours after AJA released their new driver, but it just wasn't in the cards. The only thing worse than not being "up to date" would be to push everyone to a new driver and version of Media 100 too soon only to ask them all to back up a few days later and try again.

I've been doing this long enough to know that people were going to start asking about the new driver so I thought I'd get a jump on the questions and let you all know what we're up to.

I'm assuming that your tone may have something to do with frustration regarding "The QuickTime 7.5.5 Problem":

This problem frustrates us too, but not probably not for the exact same reasons. Let me say it again... Media 100 CANNOT change QuickTime. QuickTime caused the problem and only an update to QuickTime can possibly solve it. While I'm on the subject, just in case you missed it... QT 7.5.7 does NOT solve this problem either:

There is a fix in the works. Apple has been very helpful considering we are at best a small fish to them and at worst, a competitor. I can't say when a new version of QuickTime will be released (because I don't know) but I believe it will be soon.

So Birgir, let me be the first to welcome you to the Cow and thank you in advance for your continued support and interest in Media 100. I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

ps: if you're the upside-down guy on Facebook... I like your music selection (seriously, not kidding) Cheers!

Return to posts index

by on Dec 16, 2008 at 5:18:34 pm

Uff. ok I am not good in english.

I have been using Media 100 since July 1995. I am still using media 100 because The software is fast for editing. But I have often since 1995 been waiting for media 100 to keep up to demands. Do you not get these drivers prior to release?

for you to look at :)

Return to posts index

Wickham StrubRe: AJA Driver 6.0.2
by on Dec 16, 2008 at 6:01:56 pm

Hi Birgir,

As I was typing furiously, it did occur to me that language may have been an issue. Sorry for the rough response.

Hmmm... I'm trying to figure out how to answer your question without giving too much away.

We DO get stuff in advance, but they (AJA, Apple, etc) have their own issues and concerns and will often pull something at the last minute for stability reasons.

In fact, there is a change in the v6.0.2 driver that AJA has been trying to include for us for most of this year. They had to keep pulling it (understandably) because it was causing problems on the FCP side.

More than a few times, these sort of last-minute changes have surprised us so we try to be a bit cautious about new releases.

Another thing for us to consider is that we don't want to be throwing updates at our users every other week. We always have other stuff we're working on (bug fixes, performance improvements, feature tweaks) and we'd like to include them along with things like driver compatibility all at once if possible. So in this case, we're not ONLY concerned with the new driver, but all the other "new" stuff as well.

Love the video. You sure know how to distract an American. Just show him a bunch of crashing, burning cars with lots of dirt and a rockin' soundtrack!

What version of M100 are you using?
What do you do with it mostly?
What else do you use?

~ Wick

Return to posts index

by on Dec 16, 2008 at 6:56:25 pm

Well... I am using Sony Betacam SX Cameras. I am still using Vincent Media 100 hardware SDI and Media 100 8.2.3 for digitizing but Producer 12.6 to edit. I have been testing AJA io HD but I have not found it as good as people say. When I go HD it will be Kona3 I think. I am using Soundtrack Pro for audio.

Mainly I am using Media 100 for sport programs.

More video for you :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved