MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Media 100i 8.2.1 to 8.2.3 & upgrade to OS 10.4

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gerald HetrickMedia 100i 8.2.1 to 8.2.3 & upgrade to OS 10.4
by on Nov 23, 2008 at 3:37:41 am

I'm running 8.21 on a Mac G4 1.25 DP, 2 gig memory, 144 gig Dual channel Rorke array, OS 10.3.9, Boris FX 6.1, Graffiti 3.0

My system is rock solid but dated. I've maxed out the memory and am wondering if I'd gain much by going from 8.2.1 to 8.2.3. I began to explore updating when looking into upgrading my Boris FX and Graffiti. So I really have two questions.

1st Would I gain much by going to 8.2.3? Or if my system is solid should I keep what I got? Is there a link anywhere with instructions for installing 8.2.3, I can’t seem to find it on Boris or M-100. Perhaps it's in the download. I built my own system years ago, but it’s been so solid I’ve not keep up things and want to cover my bases.

I know I need 8.2.3 if I go to OS 10.4. The reason to do this is, I could go to the newer FX and Graffiti and also be able to run Digital Juice's new "Juicer." Right now I have a work around for Juicer. But I seem to be pretty limited with my titles and composite capabilities. But I wonder if the newer Boris would run very well on my old machine.

2nd question really is, is there anybody running the new Boris on a system close to mine? Would I gain much going with the newer Boris stuff? Maybe even Red. Or is my system to old and slow? I’m hesitant to go to 10.4. It should be alright but…

I have plans to buy a new system, but am wondering if it's worth spending the dollars in the mean time to breathe a little more life in my M-100i. I do nothing but SD at this point and provide closed captioning, mainly to and from Beta and Mini DV. My M-100 works well for this and I'm a little hesitant to destabilize things. I will keep my Media 100i even after a new system. Any thoughts and or advice would be appreciated. The archives have been my tech support for a number of issues I would not have found help for elsewhere and for that I’m thankful.

Gerald Hetrick

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: Media 100i 8.2.1 to 8.2.3 & upgrade to OS 10.4
by on Nov 23, 2008 at 9:20:40 am

I think you will not gain too much from upgrading to 8.2.3. And since you said that your system currently is extremely stable I an not sure if I can recommend the upgrade without this suggestion:
What I would do is to get another harddrive, either an external FireWire drive or an internal one. Then clone your startup disc (e.g. with carbon copy cloner), install the new OS and the Trial versions of Red, plus V8.2.3a. Give it a long test run to see what you would gain from this setup. But seriously, if you want a real performance and productivity boost you have to think about a new Mac and e.g. Media 100 Suite with a Kona LHe board or a Producer system.

Return to posts index

Gerald HetrickRe: Media 100i 8.2.1 to 8.2.3 & upgrade to OS 10.4
by on Nov 24, 2008 at 4:06:12 pm

Thanks Floh, you are a blessing! I agree and have looked into carbon copy. The new ver. want's 10.4. I could go with the older verison. But, I think your right, by the time I bought/found 10.4 and bought Red it would be another $600 and no doubt wouldn't preform well at all on my old system. I better leave well enough alone and go with the new system.

Gerald Hetrick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved