MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Workflow from XDcam EX to SD 4:3... Any ideas?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
olof ekbergh
Workflow from XDcam EX to SD 4:3... Any ideas?
on Nov 9, 2008 at 4:14:42 pm

Since M100 does not play XD EX footage in a timeline or from a bin but it needs to be transcoded, it is a pain to work on old projects or projects with a lot of SD 4:3 material already in the can, to be delivered in SD 4:3.

I am trying to come up with the best workflow, this is how I do it now:

Step 1:
After using Sony XDcam transfer to rewrap footage to .mov, it can now be played in FCP 6.0.4.
I also archive footage on Bluray disc at this point, and enter it into a Filemaker DB with screen shots, description etc.

I drop all the clips into a FCP project and decide on clips and part of clips to use (mark in/out points) and export by reference.

Step 2:
Create a new M100 project in HD (typically 1080i) and import all the ref clips into a new bin, it is then transcoded, I now use Prores422HQ.

If I have a lot of clips this can take a few hrs.

Step 3:
Create a new SD 4:3 program and drop all the clips in there, I then let M100 conform the clips (typically crop) and uncheck the re-aquire later box.

If I have a lot of clips this can take a few hrs.

Step 4:
I create a new bin, name it SD 4:3 versions and drag the clips in there 1 by one.

Does anyone know of a way not to create a compound clip, but get all the clips from a program into a bin as separate clips?

Or is there a way to conform all the clips in a bin to a 4:3 SD format from 1080i?

I have not been able to set up compressor or Sorensen Suite to do this automatically, the both crash after a few clips are converted.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

I use M100 HDe v13 on a 2.66GHZ Mac Pro 5GB ram 12TB Promise RAID atto card.

I also use M100 producer v13 in the field on a 17" MBP 4MB ram lots of FW800 drives, and a LaCie Bluray burner.
I have a new MBP brick but sony's SxS driver does not work on it yet.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

olof ekbergh
Re: Workflow from XDcam EX to SD 4:3... Any ideas?
on Nov 9, 2008 at 4:27:42 pm

Another way I tried was as XML export from FCP.

I never got that working right. But I did end up with SD 16:9, pretty strange.

This is part of an Email I sent to M100 tech support lat week.

When I export a 29.97 1080i seq. from FCP as XML. Footage is 1920 x
1080 29.97 XDCAM EX108060i(35Mb/s)

Then import into m100 as xml it drops it into a 1080i 30 fps timeline
but the clips are sd and don't play back right, small and multiple
strobing clips.

If I drag clips into a new bin and double click they play fine but the
are sd 720 486.

If I make a new NTSC 601 16:9 timeline I can drop them in it and play
them there fine.

Has anyone else seen this?

I have not heard back from M100 yet.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Nov 9, 2008 at 5:09:31 pm

[olof ekbergh] "Does anyone know of a way not to create a compound clip, but get all the clips from a program into a bin as separate clips?
"

Hold the ALT key while dragging your clips to a bin, or use the "get clip info" right-click command on your selected clips in the timeline.

Return to posts index

Wickham Strub
on Nov 10, 2008 at 2:39:09 am

Hey Olof,

1. Alt key is (of course) also known as Option. As Floh wrote, holding it down while dragging multiple clips to a bin brings discrete clips to the bin rather than a compound clip.

2. Right-clicking on a clip (or clips) in a bin should offer an option to conform.

~Wick

Return to posts index

David Issko
on Nov 10, 2008 at 8:00:07 pm

Olof,

I am wondering why you are using FCP for your shot selection/in & out points? The Sony Clip Browser does all that and more, without having to go the FCP step. With the clip browser, you can also back up your files to whatever storage you choose with each clip checked after transfer to ensure data protection. I'm not sure how you back up your files, but the Clip Browser gives you that extra level of protection as opposed to drag & drop the BPAV files.

I know that the above was off topic, but please let me know how you are transferring the files to BD.

I too have to present in 4:3 SD from time to time (yuk) & integrate with 4:3 material as well (yuk again). I am spoilt and I'm sorry to brag, but I have the AJA FS1, which amongst a host of jobs it does, is convert SD to HD. Very cool. If you have lots of SD to integrate with HD, the AJA FS1 should be top of your equipment investment list.

In addition, if you have a project that is exclusively HD and you have to provide your client with 4:3 SD, and your client requires the final edit on tape, then let M100 down convert & centre cut the program to suit. I had this situation just a few weeks ago. Worked a treat.

By the way, I too convert to ProRez 422HQ, and yes, the transcoding doe take its time, doesn't it.

You do not mention what camera you are using, but my EX3 will give you 4:3 SD from the composite & S-Video outputs, but you have to play the material in real time of course.

I hope that this helps you in some way.
Best wishes

Return to posts index

olof ekbergh
on Nov 11, 2008 at 6:06:17 pm

I do a lot of work in the field, therefore I use XDcam Transfer to transfer from SxS to folders throughout the day of shooting.

I dont have the time to decide in out points in the field.

To back up to BD I just use finder and that is when I enter BD content into Database. I have a Lacie FW BD burner, In the field I make copies of the folders to at least 2 drives at night.

When I get back to the studio, or in the field to review footage with a client FCP is very nice I can even make quick roughcuts and then export into M100 later.

I have a lot of legacy projects 4:3 that I have to update with new clips. That is why I use this workflow.

If I have a new project I do the whole thing in HD and then let M100 down convert this works well. Sometimes I use AE to recrop HD sort of Pan and scan.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]