MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Red Camera Workflow

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jack Shepard
Red Camera Workflow
on Nov 2, 2008 at 8:55:14 pm

I saw a workflow in an earlier post:

"So if you donĀ“t need to do a filmout I would recommend doing a HD 1920*1080 workflow. After shooting, convert your footage in RedCine or RedAlert to HD1080 with a Rec 709 colorspace (e.g. into ProRes or Uncompressed, depending on your storage and needs). Make sure you are not clipping any levels, and then do a regular HD post."

My final output is a web video -- though down the lines it looks like it will be reconformed for tv broadcast. But for now, my final output will be straight from my computer. It is a documentary project and we will be shooting hours and hours of footage with a relatively quick turnaround. That RedCine?alert conversion to 1920 is really time consuming. Is there any other way to do this? I don't seem to be able to import the quicktime "files" directly into Media 100 without going through this conversion though - the audio doesn't come in and I assume the color/aspect ratio isn't correct without going through RedAlert first?

Any suggestions anyone?

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
Re: Red Camera Workflow
on Nov 3, 2008 at 9:35:21 am

[Jack Shepard] " I don't seem to be able to import the quicktime "files" directly into Media 100 without going through this conversion though - the audio doesn't come in and I assume the color/aspect ratio isn't correct without going through RedAlert first?"

You have to convert the RED files in RedCine, RedAlert or (probably best for you) RedRushes. You cannot edit the RED QuickTime ref files natively in Media 100 currently.

Return to posts index

Jack Shepard
on Nov 4, 2008 at 2:14:08 am

Ahhh Red Rushes. Didn't even realized I had that - much easier and faster.
One thing -- when I convert into Media 100 the picture seems to be coming in fine. The audio isn't. I'm bringing it in at 1080psf29.38. One of the channel seems to be nothing but white noise hissing and the other side seems to be really slowed down. Very strange.

Also in redrushes:
I have the debayer quality at: Half Res (standard) - May be too high res as I'm editing in Producer off a laptop as we will be on location?
Look Source: Camera
Color Space: REC 709
Gamma Space: Look Source

Is this correct?

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Nov 4, 2008 at 9:43:07 am

[Jack Shepard] "Also in redrushes:
I have the debayer quality at: Half Res (standard) - May be too high res as I'm editing in Producer off a laptop as we will be on location?
Look Source: Camera
Color Space: REC 709
Gamma Space: Look Source

Is this correct? "

This depends on your camera settings, on the format you are targeting and if you want to rework the project into another format later or not. If you want to use your first conversion as your source material you should do some testing and fine-adjusting to get this nailed down.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]