MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Digital Drop out

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Farnsworth
Digital Drop out
on Oct 29, 2008 at 2:17:21 am

Ever since I upgraded to 8.2.3 I would experiance intermittant digital dropout. Now it's to the point where I need to do something about it...it's just happening too often. Before I would simply delete the bad frame. Now it's happening too often and is way too frustrating and time consuming. At stretches on my last project it would occur every few seconds throughout the timeline. I'm finally caught up with my work and want to solve this problem. Can it be solved simply by reinstalling? Please advise. Thank you so much. I want my old media 100 back...I don't want to switch to FCP.

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
Re: Digital Drop out
on Oct 29, 2008 at 8:52:25 am

Honestly I am not sure if this really is a software issue. Do these glitches happen while digitizing, while rendering or only in playback? Since you said that you are able to cut them out I guess they are in your digitized material. This does sound as it is not related to a software conflict but points to a hardware failure (remember, I am just guessing here). Can you post a screenshot of this problem somewhere?

Return to posts index

Wickham Strub
on Oct 30, 2008 at 2:24:40 am

This sounds like unhappy or tired formatting on your media drive(s).

- What are you using for media drives?
- Have you tried other drives?
- How about running a test on the internal system drive?

Return to posts index

Mark Farnsworth
on Oct 30, 2008 at 4:30:06 am

It doesn't happen when I use iMovie or FCP on the same machine and same external hard drives...just media 100.

It's weird but I could swear it's occurring as the media just sits there in the timeline. I'll clean up(delete) the flickers(single bad frames) as I go but more end up appearing when I go back over the timeline.

Return to posts index

Wickham Strub
on Oct 30, 2008 at 3:47:53 pm

Hmmm...

What else is different between M100 and the Apple apps?

The only obvious differences that pop out at me are the facts that Media 100 MUST use the Media 100 i codec and it MUST use the board.

What sort of external drives are you using? If they use a host adapter card, what is the order of PCI cards in your Mac? There 'could' be some sort of PCI-slot conflict going on.

One more line of questioning. When you went up to v8.2.3a, did you also upgrade your Mac OS? Was it a big jump? If you have a SCSI card, did you update drivers and/or firmware for that as well?

~Wick

Return to posts index

Mark Farnsworth
on Oct 30, 2008 at 4:31:29 pm

I'm using external WD MyBook's.

If it is a PCI-Slot card conlict...which slot does my P6000 card go into. I will change it.

What are your suggested updates? I will update.

Please ignore my ignorance...SCSI Card...how do I tell if I have one.

Thanks for taking time with me. If I can get this performing properly again...I'll be delighted!

Return to posts index

Wickham Strub
on Oct 31, 2008 at 2:23:38 am

It sounds like you don't have a SCSI card since you're using the FireWire drives.

The FireWire drives do bring up another possibility though....

How many Media 100 cards do you have? There are systems out there that have two full sized cards (either one or both may also have a smaller daughter card). One card is a must. It's the one that the analog junction box is connected to (the one with composite, component and s-video ins and outs). The other card (if you have one) is a real-time effects card. It offers a real performance boost for many transitions and wipes but the truth is that most users will never miss it. So, to my point...

IF you've got a real-time effects card, try taking it out and see if your problem magically goes away.

If you DON'T have a real-time effects card, then it's back to the drawing board.

~Wick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]