MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Media 100 Producer?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert L. KopfMedia 100 Producer?
by on Oct 28, 2008 at 6:15:00 pm

I've been thinking of getting Media 100 Producer to do editing on an iMac that I will also use for running BitVice, DVD Studio Pro, possibly After Effects, etc., but have a few questions about what else to get to go with it.

For instance, since Producer is a software only thing, there's no I/O device associated with it. That being the case, how does one monitor audio and video while editing? Surely editors don't rely on just the subsampled video on the computer screen, and the audio from the Mac's little internal speaker or something, right?

All of my ingest will be done using other (older) Media 100 systems. I'm assuming that I can move the digitized video and audio to the iMac, using external drives or over the LAN or something. I'm thinking that I'll use Producer to do the editing that I currently do on the legacy Media 100i systems, hopefully finding some benefits in the way of compatibility with newer apps (AE, BitVice, etc.), and in being able to move stuff into DVDSP for authoring on the same system that I'm editing on. I'd like to hear from people using Producer in this way. Any suggestions, tips, advice, etc. that any of you can send my way will be appreciated. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: Media 100 Producer?
by on Oct 28, 2008 at 10:29:38 pm

You can use a Firewire to Video converter with producer to view your video, or a DV camera to convert the FireWire signal fir monitoring. I think there were some compatible converters posted in a thread some weeks ago. Maybe you should do a search for it.

Return to posts index

Robert L. KopfDV to video converter?
by on Oct 29, 2008 at 5:05:46 pm

Thanks. I will do a search. But I read through the last 10 pages of this forum, and didn't find anything along those lines. Someone at Media 100 answered an e-mail from me, and gave an example of such a converter. I'm just hoping that a few people here have used such things, and might therefore be able to make a few other recommendations.

I definitely don't want to use a DV camera to do the job. I want a "wired in" permanent configuration. And I have no DV edit decks. I work almost exclusively in Betacam SP. When I'm not, I'm shooting in my own studio, bypassing the "tape" phase altogether and sending an analog video signal straight from a camera to a Media 100's input.

I can get by using the multiple legacy Media 100 systems I have here. But I was thinking that it might be nice to put Producer on the new BitVice/DVDSP machine, and free the other Media 100s from editing duty so that they can be used exclusively for ingest. If I can edit on the same iMac as I'm doing DVD authoring on, it would probably make life nicer. Being able to keep up with current versions of OS X, Quicktime, etc. on my editing platform would be nice.

Another factor in this equation is that I do (almost all) audio and music work on DAW systems that that I would now like to slave to this new DVDSP machine by timecode (LTC on an audio track). So it would be nice to be able to use the same audio interface that I'm going to use for Producer and DVDSP, to output LTC to the audio/music workstations, so I can have unlimited audio and MIDI tracks sync'd to either Producer or to DVDSP video timelines. Do you think that's workable?

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: DV to video converter?
by on Oct 29, 2008 at 6:18:42 pm

[Robert L. Kopf] "hanks. I will do a search. But I read through the last 10 pages of this forum, and didn't find anything along those lines. "

You can find the thread here.

[Robert L. Kopf] "I can get by using the multiple legacy Media 100 systems I have here. But I was thinking that it might be nice to put Producer on the new BitVice/DVDSP machine, and free the other Media 100s from editing duty so that they can be used exclusively for ingest. If I can edit on the same iMac as I'm doing DVD authoring on, it would probably make life nicer. Being able to keep up with current versions of OS X, Quicktime, etc. on my editing platform would be nice. "

When coming from Media 100 i, the performance gain and the new features on Producer will be extremely huge. I think you will like your setup.

[Robert L. Kopf] "
Another factor in this equation is that I do (almost all) audio and music work on DAW systems that that I would now like to slave to this new DVDSP machine by timecode (LTC on an audio track). So it would be nice to be able to use the same audio interface that I'm going to use for Producer and DVDSP, to output LTC to the audio/music workstations, so I can have unlimited audio and MIDI tracks sync'd to either Producer or to DVDSP video timelines. Do you think that's workable?"

You definitely can do that with producer when adding an LTC audio track to your timeline and using your audio interface (or the Mac out) as the LTC Timecode source. OTOH, if you use Producer e.g. exports to the DV codec will be very fast, so you also could export a QuickTime and use that on your audio system as a video reference, since most DAWs do support QuickTime video playback these days.

Return to posts index

Robert L. KopfRe: DV to video converter?
by on Oct 30, 2008 at 6:07:39 pm

Thanks for taking the time to reply Floh. I appreciate that very much. As for exporting a QT video to use in my DAW machines (Nuendo, Cubase, Reason, Battery, etc.), I might do that sometimes. But I like to work on the multitrack audio/music machines WHILE still making changes to the video on the Media 100 or whatever. So having all the audio and music systems slaved to the in-process video timeline is a better methodology for the way I like to work.

What I'd like to hear from people on this forum is what devices any of them have used successfully, to output video and audio from Producer on an iMac. Right now, I can output video and audio from any legacy Media 100 system's breakout box, sending LTC to all the audio and music workstations, while monitoring video on conventional CRT monitors. I'd like to move the editing functions to Producer (for the extremely huge gains you mentioned), while still being able to slave my audio/music machines, and watch the video on the big CRT.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]