MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Kona 3 and M100 HD

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ted Joyce
Kona 3 and M100 HD
on Oct 23, 2008 at 9:47:35 pm

I am a long time M100i user who upgraded recently to Kona3 and FCP. I sure miss the M100's interface. Can I use M100 software and Kona 3 card?

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
Re: Kona 3 and M100 HD
on Oct 24, 2008 at 7:05:53 am

Of course. Media 100 does use the Aja hardware these days anyway, so if you buy the Media 100 suite software you are able to run Media 100 and FCP on the same system with the same hardware (and nearly at the same time ;-) ). Plus, with the new V13 software, you can move programs including media files, transitions and audio keyframes from FCP to Media 100 and back instantly.

You should download the free 14day trial version of Media 100 V13 to try it out, and you can purchase a license directly from within the software and authorize it if it works for you (and I bet it will).

Return to posts index

Wickham Strub
on Oct 24, 2008 at 1:43:44 pm

Ted,

3 things to add...

- Those XMLs can go to Color and back as well with a very cool "Update Media from XML" feature.

- You'll need the v6.0.1 driver from AJA.

- You've got the Kona3 card, which means the v6.0.1 AJA download will include a firmware updater. DO NOT UPDATE THE FIRMWARE ON YOUR KONA3 card if you want to use the card with Media 100. We're working with AJA to fix this, until then, leave the card alone and both M100 v13 and FCP v6 will be happy as can be.

~Wick

Return to posts index

Gary Milligan
on Oct 24, 2008 at 2:36:09 pm

As well, here is a quote from an Oct. 15 post from Wick:

[Wickham Strub] "Version 13 does NOT solve the Quicktime 7.5.5 problem.

If you want/need to use the Media 100 i codec or the Motion JPEG B codec then you'll have to stay on QT 7.5.

If you want/need to use QT 7.5.5 then you'll have to stay away from the Media 100 i codec and the Motion JPEG B codec.
"

Let us know how things work out for you.

Gary

This is me - this is what I do - http://web.mac.com/garymmw

Return to posts index

Ted Joyce
on Oct 24, 2008 at 4:15:09 pm

Great news!
I like the ProRess 4:2:2 HQ codec and Sony's EX-1 camera codec and assume it will work easily with them. How about stability and crashes compared with FCP?

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Oct 24, 2008 at 4:55:26 pm

Media 100 does work natively with ProRes and other codecs, and it supports import from EX1 material (although it does not support the EX1/LongGop MPEG codec natively). Stability is very good, at least for our workflows, and it is much more reliable than FCP (at least if you run into a problem it is reproducible, unlike FCP problems which seem to float around and never tend to appear twice during the same task).

Return to posts index

Ted Joyce
on Oct 24, 2008 at 7:57:19 pm

What is involved in referting back to the earlier drivers? I've had the Kona for 3 wks and of course updated the drivers as they suggested which are supposed to improve performance and reliability of the Kona3.

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Oct 24, 2008 at 7:44:28 pm

[Ted Joyce] "What is involved in referting back to the earlier drivers? I've had the Kona for 3 wks and of course updated the drivers as they suggested which are supposed to improve performance and reliability of the Kona3."

You can use the latest drivers, but you have to use the earlier firmware. If you did not run the firmware update application after installing the 6.01 drivers everything is fine. If you did run the firmware updater you need to run it again, and use the "revert to 32bit firmware" button to downgrade the firmware again. You still can (and should) use the 6.01 driver with the earlier firmware.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]