MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Media 100/codecs/XDCAM

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jack ShepardMedia 100/codecs/XDCAM
by on Oct 21, 2008 at 8:46:16 pm

Hi,
I'm working on an XDCam project. Wondering what codec everyone recommends using when dealing with XDCam. It was shot at 1080p 23.98. In my video input, I assume I'll use the 1080psf 23.98? And by the way, what does that psf stand for?

Thanks,
Jack

Return to posts index

Wickham StrubRe: Media 100/codecs/XDCAM
by on Oct 21, 2008 at 9:13:54 pm

Hi Jack,

Yes, that's the one to choose.

RE: "psf", it means "Progressive Segmented Frames".

What it tells the application is, "This is really interlaced video, but each field in every frame is identical so please treat it as if it's progressive when rendering effects and transitions."

Return to posts index

Jack ShepardRe: Media 100/codecs/XDCAM
by on Oct 21, 2008 at 9:24:39 pm

Thanks.

Which codec would you recommend using for this? DVCPRO HD is panasonic based so I assume that wouldn't be the best choice. I'm on a laptop at the moment so can't do uncompressed. Apple Pro Res 422 HQ?

Return to posts index

Jack ShepardRe: Media 100/codecs/XDCAM
by on Oct 21, 2008 at 10:31:19 pm

Also can Media 100 use the actual XDCam codec itself? Can't figure out how one would do that so I am guessing no?

Return to posts index

by on Oct 22, 2008 at 8:22:03 pm

Hi Jack,

The short answer to this question is "no".

The long answer isn't really an answer at all but a years long conversation that's been taking place in the industry about the merits of using long gop media in post-production. Many purists will tell you that it's best to use a "traditional" codec for editing and compositing. Media 100 products currently adhere to that belief as well.

~Wick

Return to posts index

by on Oct 22, 2008 at 2:41:24 pm

There's no cut and dry answer to this questions. It depends on what you want to do with the final result and what sort of steps might happen in between.

Generally speaking, whatever codec you choose, you want to stick with it all the way through for the least surprises (see Matt's thread for an example of one the potential surpirses: http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/4/862475).

I like the ProRes codecs, but I have seen other conversations about some caveats when running in and out of After Effects for example: http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/922146#922194.

My best advice for questions like this remains...

Start at the end, focusing on the end result that you need and/or want. Work your way back to the material that you've got, then set up a small, representational version of your project and run it through the workflow to see if it's going to give you what you want in the end.

~Wick

Return to posts index

jack shepardRe: Media 100/codecs/XDCAM
by on Oct 22, 2008 at 8:44:39 pm

Wick,

Thanks for all the answers. Great to see the Media 100 voice on this forum.
Also kudos on the XML function in version 13. It is a beautiful thing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]