MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Media 100 13 and the QuickTime version of Doom

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wickham StrubMedia 100 13 and the QuickTime version of Doom
by on Oct 16, 2008 at 12:44:45 am

Hey Everybody,

With the release of v13 imminent (hint, hint) I want to get this unpleasantness out the way first.

Version 13 does NOT solve the Quicktime 7.5.5 problem.

If you want/need to use the Media 100 i codec or the Motion JPEG B codec then you'll have to stay on QT 7.5.

If you want/need to use QT 7.5.5 then you'll have to stay away from the Media 100 i codec and the Motion JPEG B codec.

We haven't given up, we're still working on it, we'll keep you posted, and we'll continue helping people who've fallen into the 7.5.5 trap get out and get back to work.

~Wick

Return to posts index

Matt JonesRe: Media 100 13 and the QuickTime version of Doom
by on Oct 16, 2008 at 2:25:01 pm

Thanks for all the work in v13 guys! couple of questions:

1. Does V13 work with the AJA 6.0.1 LHe drivers?
2. Is V13 full compatible with OS 10.5.5? (except QT:Doom)

Since I bought my new M100HD system, it has not been fully compliant with Mac OS, AJA drivers, and M100 version. I'd love to get everything on the newest versions. There's a couple of fixes in the AJA drivers that will make a big difference to the functionality of my suite.

Thanks,

Matt

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: Media 100 13 and the QuickTime version of Doom
by on Oct 16, 2008 at 2:28:01 pm

[Matt Jones] "1. Does V13 work with the AJA 6.0.1 LHe drivers?
2. Is V13 full compatible with OS 10.5.5? (except QT:Doom) "

As far as I know, yes. But probably Wick can confirm that.

Return to posts index

Wickham StrubRe: Media 100 13 and the QuickTime version of Doom
by on Oct 16, 2008 at 4:03:33 pm

Matt,

Yes, v13 is OK with OS 10.5.5 and it WILL work with the v6.0.1 driver from AJA (in fact, M100 v13 requires the v6.0.1 driver).

A special note for Kona 3 card users. The new AJA driver downloads include a firmware updater for the Kona 3 cards only. v13 of Media 100 is currently NOT compatible with the new firmware. We're already working on an update to M100 that will work with an update from AJA to get everything lined up again (except for QT, that is).

Return to posts index

by on Oct 16, 2008 at 4:12:26 pm

[Wickham Strub] "
A special note for Kona 3 card users. The new AJA driver downloads include a firmware updater for the Kona 3 cards only. v13 of Media 100 is currently NOT compatible with the new firmware. We're already working on an update to M100 that will work with an update from AJA to get everything lined up again (except for QT, that is)."

And here is an addition to this ;-)

You donĀ“t have to use the new Aja firmware with the 6.01 driver on the Kona 3. You can use the Kona3 6.01 driver with the old firmware and Media 100 V13, and everything should work as expected.

Return to posts index

Andy TaplinRe: Media 100 13 and the QuickTime version of Doom
by on Oct 16, 2008 at 5:10:42 pm

So how do you make sure you don't update the Kona 3 firmware when you install the 6.01 driver? It looks like the same installer package.

Thanks guys

Andy

Return to posts index

by on Oct 16, 2008 at 5:16:38 pm

[Andy Taplin] "So how do you make sure you don't update the Kona 3 firmware when you install the 6.01 driver? It looks like the same installer package.
"

The firmware updater is an extra application that gets installed with the Kona tools. You manually have to run the app to update the firmware; it does not get updated automatically, nor does it even launch the app automatically.

Return to posts index

Gregg MichaelsRe: Media 100 13 and the QuickTime version of Doom
by on Oct 16, 2008 at 5:21:16 pm

Will projects that get worked on under V13 be able to go back to 12.7.1? Just in case.

GM

Return to posts index

by on Oct 16, 2008 at 5:28:09 pm

[Gregg Michaels] "Will projects that get worked on under V13 be able to go back to 12.7.1? Just in case. "

No, as usual timelines are not backwards-compatible. There are new features in the timeline (multichannel audio) which cannot be read by older versions; therefore timelines from V13 will not open up in V12.7

Return to posts index

Andy TaplinRe: Media 100 13 and the QuickTime version of Doom
by on Oct 16, 2008 at 5:40:33 pm

Thanks Floh

I might wait a week or two before moving to 13 (maybe the QT7.5.5 issues is fixed by then) and see how others are getting on - not that I'm a coward or anything :-)

Return to posts index

Michael SloweRe: Media 100 13 and the QuickTime version of Doom
by on Oct 17, 2008 at 4:41:31 pm

Wickham, would you agree that for those who prefer to rely on Media 100 for their downscaling of HD to SD, the quality is better with the HDX card than the downscale with the new AJA? I find after exhaustive tests that the HDx downscale is superior to almost any other, including that in BitVice.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

by on Oct 20, 2008 at 4:19:55 pm

Hi Michael,

I didn't mean to leave you hanging like that. I'm not avoiding the question but it does put me in a bit of a spot vs. our friends at AJA.

Let's say it this way...
I was told by the hardware engineers at Media 100, Inc that the scaling chips on the HDx card are chips that Snell and Wilcox had used in some of their high-end scalers. "Best of the best" components like that don't come cheap. This is just one of the reasons why it didn't add up for us to keep making those cards.

How's that for a political answer?

~Wick

Return to posts index

Michael SloweRe: Media 100 13 and the QuickTime version of Doom
by on Oct 21, 2008 at 10:04:25 am

Wickham, many thanks for your reply and may I compliment you on your political skill. Now you support the XDCAM codec I am entirely happy and will continue to enjoy the quality of the HDx board for a while longer yet. As long as my pre Intel Mac G5 holds up.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Paul CroweRe: Media 100 13 and the QuickTime version of Doom
by on Oct 20, 2008 at 2:25:23 am

Hey Wick

a couple of questions. Do you know what impact (if any) doing the backward jump from QT 7.5.5 to 7.5 will have on F4M studio subscriptions?

and would the QT 7.5.5 of doom be responsible for not being able to playback a .mov exported out of M100 in the animation codec and the subsequent inability to export out of QTPRo to WMV?

Cheers
Paul

Return to posts index

by on Oct 20, 2008 at 4:10:03 pm

Paul,

I'm sorry but the answers to your questions are, No, no and no.

I assume you're asking because you're having these problems after backing up QT?

If so, be sure to Get Info on the QuickTime application to ensure that it is, indeed, reporting as v7.5

~Wick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]