MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

New Macbook Rumors & Pondering what it could mean for Producer.

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Mehta
New Macbook Rumors & Pondering what it could mean for Producer.
on Oct 5, 2008 at 4:29:18 pm

Been thinking about getting a new Mac, and am likely going to go down the laptop route, and am waiting to see what's announced later this month, as there are tonnes of rumours about new MacBook/MacBook Pro machines coming out around the 14th of October.

I notice M100 Version 13 is being held off until somewhen in October also. I wonder if any of the M100 team are privvy to new Mac hardware information, and whether any new machines will provide a performance boost for those using Media100 Producer, or hoping to, in a mobile context?

Return to posts index

Wickham Strub
Re: New Macbook Rumors & Pondering what it could mean for Producer.
on Oct 6, 2008 at 1:38:43 am

Hi Andrew,

Though I hate to snuff out all sorts of wild speculation before it even gets started, we are not privy to anything about the new Macs.

Personally, I'm really hoping there's something to the rumors about some sort of iPhone-ish color touchscreen in place of a touchpad. I'm not sure WHY exactly, but it sure sounds cool.

As for holding off the release, the only official announcement we ever made about it said October, and we're absolutely on track for that.

~Wick

Return to posts index

Andrew Mehta
on Oct 6, 2008 at 2:43:11 am

Yeah, I'm just being a fanboy.
^_^

There's a lot of talk about better integrated graphics coming, and I wonder whether that might mean Producer working well on Macbooks as well as MacBook Pros, - although I'll probably still be getting the latter. ^_^

Looking forwards to doing some music on the move, as am getting one primarily for Logic Pro 8, but it'll be fab to finally have a system capable of running M100 Producer. ^_^

Btw...I actually bought an ultraportable touch-screen PC for around £50 from eBay (it's ancient mind) to use as a MIDI controller, running XG Gold for my MU10 Sound Module, and not to get too off-topic...but I'm so used to touching the screen now, I keep accidentally touching the screen on my Dad's laptop downstairs. ^_^.
So...it would be nice to see a Mac with a touch screen...but then there's always the ModBook. =P http://www.axiotron.com/index.php?id=modbook

A colour touchpad DS-style would be kinda cool...but I must admit, I use so many keyboard shortcuts on my PC, I miss a lot of them when I use a Mac, and get annoyed at having to move the mouse a lot more. I still think the fastest input method for a computer is the keyboard. The only problem is, touch technology is inuitive, whereas keyboard shortcuts take some time to learn initially...but save you heaps of time in the long run. ^_^

And we all love our M100 shortcuts....Apple Slash. ^_^ Much faster than going to a tool palette, selecting a razor, going back to the timeline...*yawn*, etc, etc...
Anyway, that's just a tenuous attempt to stay on topic. ^_^

Return to posts index

Robert Slenker
on Oct 6, 2008 at 2:31:12 pm

I attend an annual Apple Digital Campus Leadership Institute in my state each Spring and one of our Apple guys said last Spring that Apple had a ton of its engineers working on developing touch-screen technology and when I heard that I immediately thought it was Apple's answer to competing w/ HP's touch-screen tablet PCs. Maybe you guys are correct about expecting touch screen Apple laptops soon. Not sure about Oct. '08 but maybe soon. ???

Return to posts index

Andrew Mehta
on Oct 6, 2008 at 2:39:55 pm

I'm not really getting my hopes up for a touchscreen this October. Rather, I'm expecting a new case design, slightly cheaper price, some better i/o connectors (the new faster firewire maybe? Would love an eSata...), something to do with a "brick"(??), better integrated and dedicated graphics, and hopefully some faster processors.
That's mostly based on reading http://www.macrumors.com

But as Wick implied, the touchscreen idea is an exciting one.

I assume they have touch screen engineers due to the iPhone and iPod Touch...but if it also leads to a tablet, or touchscreen Macbook, then hey, I won't complain.

Return to posts index

Bobby Mosaedi
on Oct 7, 2008 at 8:18:11 pm

even if apple does release a touchscreen something this month, there is no way anyone is going to have support for it for the first 6 - 12 months easy, especially media 100. There are way more things on their to-do list that they're not gonna push down or delay to make support for some new cool gadgetry technology.

Nobody even supports the multi-track touchpad other than apple, and thats been out for a while now.

Bobby Mosaedi
Magic Video, Inc.

Return to posts index

Andrew Mehta
on Oct 8, 2008 at 3:02:53 am

Granted, but I've currently got a touchscreen PC Laptop, running XG-Gold - all those knobs and sliders controlling MIDI messages, I can just touch and drag. So even if touch just replaced a mouse, it could be useful for controlling virtual instruments.

But yeah, there's a lot of power in Mac Pros that hasn't been utilised yet and I guess won't for a few years on.

But stuff I'm wondering about is how video editing on the move might improve. If you've currently got deferred HDV acquire, will the new Macbooks be powerful enough to do it real time? Will better integrated graphics mean video editing works well on MacBooks and not just MacBook Pros (or do they currently run well on both and I'm ill informed)? What will the 64-bit era mean, and access to more RAM? If the processors are faster, or Snow Leopard helps delegate between multiple cores and processors, will RED render more quickly? If a faster firewire or even eSata socket emerges, I assume that could help with external hard drives holding footage, etc.

Anyway - you're right - hardware comes first, then six months to a year down the line, pro apps start to take advantage.
I'm just hoping to buy a new laptop later this month, and am getting excited, and waiting for these much rumoured new laptops to be properly announced/unvieled.

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Oct 8, 2008 at 5:09:36 pm

[Bobby Mosaedi] "Nobody even supports the multi-track touchpad other than apple, and thats been out for a while now."

Adobe CS4 does support it. But I agree, this is not something that should be high on Media 100s to-do list.

Return to posts index

Andrew Mehta
Re: New Macbook Pro & what it means for Producer.
on Oct 19, 2008 at 1:16:20 am

=/ =(
So...new case, new graphics, very little else....

Are the new dedicated graphics on the MacBook Pro 15" gonna mean any performance boost for Media100 Producer, or hardly any percievable difference when compared to the old models? Am currently deciding whether to buy an old one second hand, or a new one, er, new.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]