MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Media100 and QT 7.5.5

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Ciupik
Media100 and QT 7.5.5
on Sep 17, 2008 at 3:36:40 am

HELP!!!!!

I foolishly installed AT 7.5.5 and can't play back a thing in Media 100. Is there a patch from Media 100? If so I haven't found it. Does anyone know how to uninstall QT 7.5.5 so I can reinstall 7.5? I am desperate and on a deadline. PLEASE HELP ANYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Return to posts index

Joe Ciupik
Re: Media100 and QT 7.5.5
on Sep 17, 2008 at 4:24:47 am

Amazing what a deep breath and rational lthinking can do. I did what you previously posted and it worked. THANKS A MILLION. And oh, I will not update anything when I am on a deadline. Thanks again Steve!

Return to posts index

Chris Clephane
on Sep 18, 2008 at 1:33:25 am

Just a quick note to everyone....

DISCLAIMER: I am not necessarily implying that WE made (or did not make) this particular mistake...because making the following mistake would be mildly embarrassing...even with the extreme sleep deprivation I was (or was not) allegedly suffering....
(Mmmm...deadlines...)

That stated:

MAKE SURE YOU DOWNLOAD THE CORRECT QUICKTIME INSTALLER.

For instance....If you are in Leopard...and download the Panther QT installer by mistake...and perform the aforementioned ROLLBACK procedure...it makes your machine unbootable. (And UNFIXABLE.)

Just FYI.

(....now back to reloading one of our machines....from scratch....)

I edit video. I post sometimes.
I fix things. I eat marshmallows.
I play drums. I drink scotch.
I like TV.

Done typing now.

Return to posts index

John Richards
on Sep 18, 2008 at 6:44:52 am

So let's say I just did the same thing.
And let's say the machine won't boot. Nor will it start up from the CD.
How exactly are you reloading your machine?
Not good.

Return to posts index

Chris Clephane
on Sep 18, 2008 at 4:18:45 pm

Well...after getting all the discs out...I realized that this particular system has a second startup drive. It was configured FCP (dual-boot)....and THAT drive was created as an exact clone of the primary drive....several months ago.

MILDLY EMBARRASSING SIDEBAR: I had not used the secondary boot on this machine in so long...that WELL...I had forgotten it was there. (Yes..mounted on the desktop every day...I had simply begun to "not see" it there anymore.)
I believe the phrase "hidden in plain sight" comes to mind.

SO....I booted from my seldom used FCP drive.....Since this system is AJA-based I updated the AJA driver to the current recommended one (5.1NDD) DONT DOWNLOAD VERSION 6. Apparently it has not been approved yet.
Reloaded the Media100 application...and I was good to go. (Currently rolled back to 10.5.2 and QT 7.4.5...which is annoying because I can no longer charge my iPhone on this machine while I work. QT/iTunes screams at me for being "out of date" because I have a 3G iPhone v2.1SW )
Blah..blah..blah..

If your machine was configured DUAL BOOT...I suggest you start there.

NOTE: This may NOT work for you if you had partitioned for FCP...again, for clarity ...I had a second physical drive in the machine as a FCP boot.

Why I mention this boot drive thingy: I do very distinctly remember an "updating boot caches" message at the end of the QT rollback (using Pacifist)...right before the machine rebooted. (Crapped out and wouldn't reboot.)

I am guessing the boot caches are now corrupted in some form.

-----

If you are unable to boot from CD I suggest the following standard procedures:

1. Try booting with the "C" key depressed...this used to "suggest" to the machine to try the CD drive first. Insert CD...power machine down. Power up holding the C key. Hopefully this works.

2. Ok...that usually only works on older machines...SO...Insert the cd.....power down....then boot up with the OPTION key depressed. After a minute or 6 (depending on how many drives you have attached to the machine...RAID and Non-raid...it examines EVERY physical volume through this process....CD's also slow this process GREATLY....)
WHEW...ok....after a short interval....a grey screen should appear and you should be presented with a list of volumes attached to the machine that you should (theroretically) be able to boot from. If the CD appears in this list...highlight it using either the arrow keys or a mouse click.....you should be fine from that point forward.

If not....attach an external firewire drive (with or without bootable partition) and re-perform procedure #2 above. If the boot caches are REALLY boogered up...sometimes adding a drive to the examination process will confuse the machine enough to work. Yeah...great technical explanation....I know.

If that still does not allow you to boot from CD....format the firewire drive with a working MAC os...repeat #2 above and attempt to boot from the firewire drive. If that does not work..post again....

Good luck.

I edit video. I post sometimes.
I fix things. I eat marshmallows.
I play drums. I drink scotch.
I like TV.

Done typing now.

Return to posts index

John Richards
on Sep 18, 2008 at 4:28:00 pm

Thanks for the reply and all the suggestions. I am going to give what you recommended a try.
Best,
John

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]